Gonzalo Higuaín - CF - Napoli (159 Viewers)

Pipita for 94 mil, yea or nay

• Yea

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
I am not the biggest Higuain Fan.

but

Higuain--Dybala

Pogba------------Pjanic
-----------Marchisio
Alves------------------------Sandro
Chiello-----Bonucci------------Barzagli
--------------Buffon----------------------

Top 3 team in the world right, only behind Barcelona and Real Mardid.

Edit: Alves on the right and Sandro on the left obviously.

Thanks @X

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
There is a lot of confusion going on here about amortizations and transfer fees. Amortizations are irrelevant for the actual finances of the club, except for tax purposes.

For example, suppose we buy Higuain for 94m paid in 2 installments and give him 12m per year gross wage and a 5 year contract. In the balance sheet we book an asset worth 94m (the rights on Higuain) and we sutract 47m cash. So the effects on the assets is +47m. In the liabilities we add the 47m we owe Napoli next year, so the the liabilities are also +47m.

Next year, we pay Napoli 47m and we amortize 1/5th of the rights on Higauin. Assets are -94/5=18.8m and -47m cash, which is -65.8m. Liabilities are -47m we don't owe Napoli anymore. The 18.8m affect the equity through the income statement, so equity is -18.8m. Always assets=liabilities+equity.

In the income statement (aka profit and loss statement) the only things that have any effect are the wage (-12m) and the amortization (-18.8m). That's why people say that the total cost per year is the wage + amortization. But that's just accounting junk. It is not the real economic effect and doesn't affect the valuation of a company and shouldn't affect business decisions.

Suppose we sell Higauin after his 3rd year for 10m. The residual value of Higuain is 2/5 of 94m = 37.6m. So the effect on the assets sheet is +10m (cash) - 37.6m = -27.6m. There is not effect on the liabilities. Equity is -27.6m because we record a loss in the income statement. So, we lose 27.6m from the sale and we save 18.8+12=30.8m from amortization and wages for the next 2 years, so the total effect from the sale is:
year 0: -27.6m; year 1: +30.8m; year 2: +30.8m, total: +34m.

Why is this not the correct way to look at it?
The much simpler analysis
year 0: +10m transfer fee; year 1: +12m saved wage; year 2: +12m saved wage, total: +34m, gives you the same total, but a different distribution over the years. But this is the correct distribution because it reflects the actual cash flow. We are not giving 27.6m in year 0 and getting 30.8m for the next 2 years. We have already paid for Higuain.

The way analysts value companies is by discounting the future earnings. But for the reason I explained, they don't look at net income (which includes amortizations), they look at EBITDA (earnings before interest taxation depreciation and amortization) - taxes - CAPEX (capital expenses). Amortizations are not a cash flow, but CAPEX are. Buying Higuain is a capital expense (and so is selling him, but with the opposite sign), so what matters is when the installments are actually paid.

Hope that helped.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
He is a world class striker, no doubt. He would definitely improve us, to me he might be the one we need for a gold in the CL. Nevertheless, I do agree that he is a bit too old for that price. We may win the CL and if so then of course the money would be well spent. But that is a high gamble, not sure if I would be willing to take such high risks. On the one hand I would prefer someone else that is a bit younger, on the other hand I have no suggestions of whom.

Yes I see now that this is kind of Trump-post, a lot of text saying nothing.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
There is a lot of confusion going on here about amortizations and transfer fees. Amortizations are irrelevant for the actual finances of the club, except for tax purposes.

For example, suppose we buy Higuain for 94m paid in 2 installments and give him 12m per year gross wage and a 5 year contract. In the balance sheet we book an asset worth 94m (the rights on Higuain) and we sutract 47m cash. So the effects on the assets is +47m. In the liabilities we add the 47m we owe Napoli next year, so the the liabilities are also +47m.

Next year, we pay Napoli 47m and we amortize 1/5th of the rights on Higauin. Assets are -94/5=18.8m and -47m cash, which is -65.8m. Liabilities are -47m we don't owe Napoli anymore. The 18.8m affect the equity through the income statement, so equity is -18.8m. Always assets=liabilities+equity.

In the income statement (aka profit and loss statement) the only things that have any effect are the wage (-12m) and the amortization (-18.8m). That's why people say that the total cost per year is the wage + amortization. But that's just accounting junk. It is not the real economic effect and doesn't affect the valuation of a company and shouldn't affect business decisions.

Suppose we sell Higauin after his 3rd year for 10m. The residual value of Higuain is 2/5 of 94m = 37.6m. So the effect on the assets sheet is +10m (cash) - 37.6m = -27.6m. There is not effect on the liabilities. Equity is -27.6m because we record a loss in the income statement. So, we lose 27.6m from the sale and we save 18.8+12=30.8m from amortization and wages for the next 2 years, so the total effect from the sale is:
year 0: -27.6m; year 1: +30.8m; year 2: +30.8m, total: +34m.

Why is this not the correct way to look at it?
The much simpler analysis
year 0: +10m transfer fee; year 1: +12m saved wage; year 2: +12m saved wage, total: +34m, gives you the same total, but a different distribution over the years. But this is the correct distribution because it reflects the actual cash flow. We are not giving 27.6m in year 0 and getting 30.8m for the next 2 years. We have already paid for Higuain.

The way analysts value companies is by discounting the future earnings. But for the reason I explained, they don't look at net income (which includes amortizations), they look at EBITDA (earnings before interest taxation depreciation and amortization) - taxes - CAPEX (capital expenses). Amortizations are not a cash flow, but CAPEX are. Buying Higuain is a capital expense (and so is selling him, but with the opposite sign), so what matters is when the installments are actually paid.

Hope that helped.
You may say that it is accounting junk but the reality is that the FFP formulas work on accounting profits. That is why its important. It doesn't work on cash flows.

I agree with most of everything else you said but remember, the company isn't run to maximize its NPV for shareholders. Its run to win. While they may seem non mutually exclusive, I would never advocate buying shares in a football club.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
Well he is really expensive for sure but he really appears to be the only available player on the market who could actually improve our starting eleven. So if that's the case and we have money I would do it. Cavani at the moment is probably impossible.

Eljo

Nov 29, 2013
Ok guys, hypothetical scenario: We buy Higuain for 94M, activating the release clause and making him the highest earning player. He signs a 4yr deal, expiring summer 2020. So we get him for 4 seasons of football.

Regardless of injuries and alike, what (at minimum) outcome would you be happy with?

Is 1 CL win and 4 scudetti enough? Or you want 2 wins and 2 finals?

Given how difficult it is to win the CL in would be happy with 1 trophy, but would like 4 yrs of at least semi-finals, 3 scudetti, a couple of coppas and maybe even a world club championship.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
Ok guys, hypothetical scenario: We buy Higuain for 94M, activating the release clause and making him the highest earning player. He signs a 4yr deal, expiring summer 2020. So we get him for 4 seasons of football.

Regardless of injuries and alike, what (at minimum) outcome would you be happy with?

Given how difficult it is to win the CL in would be happy with 1 trophy, but would like 4 yrs of at least semi-finals, 3 scudetti, a couple of coppas and maybe even a world club championship.
I watched us lost 3 cl finals, so I want 3 win :D

1 cl win shouldn't satisfy us, ffs we lost 6 finals, that's a new record we set :sergio:

enzo

May 14, 2012

One step after another. Let's win the CL first.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I watched us lost 3 cl finals, so I want 3 win :D

1 cl win shouldn't satisfy us, ffs we lost 6 finals, that's a new record we set :sergio:
1 CL win shouldnt satisfy us? Because something we have failed to win in 20 years is worth scoffing at? :lol:

The very fact I seen us lose 4 finals should mean its FUCKING HUGE if we win it just once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 159)