Global Warming Discussion (14 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Have you tried them? Weird.
Yeah I have. I quite like them lmao.
I love them for smoothies and shakes. That’s about it.

Come to think of it, not sure what else I’d use a straw for.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I think u must be stupid to believe that 1 percent of scientists who don't go with a flow are certainly wrong.

Once again for you add DAiDEViL, I except climate change is real (I don't claim it's hoax) but I don't believe it is 100% man caused as elite is trying to sell it.
U Picciriddu explained it nicely in above posts, I completely agree with that.
Very few claim that it is “100% man caused”. Most are saying that humans are a primary driver of this current cycle of climate change. And the science showing the effects of greenhouse gases and other emissions is pretty robust.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009

- - - Updated - - -

Very few claim that it is “100% man caused”. Most are saying that humans are a primary driver of this current cycle of climate change. And the science showing the effects of greenhouse gases and other emissions is pretty robust.
That’s literally the two things I use them for as well haha.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i too hate it when the elites conspire with governments to force stuff on us. like those elites and government mandating all cars have seat belts and airbags so i can survive a car crash. how dare they try and sell me on things to save my life and life of others? what are these elites trying to sell by making me survive?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
There was time when "rEal sCieNTiSts", or 99% of them claimed that earth was center of the universe. Anyone who was not agreeing was burned alive. This doesn't mean they were right.
I totally agree that climate is changing, it was happening during all history of mankind even when there was no industry to effect it. What bothers me is narrative of the elite and their shameless propaganda to use it to gain money, power and control. Until one-two years ago it was "global warming", when that bubble burst, they changed it to "climate change".
It comes to me as no surprise that you are among climate change deniers. Earth is flat, vaccines are bad, etc.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't we hope it's man made?

Becaude then we have a chance.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2020
I do agree with your overall sentiment- there’s a lot more to the environment outside of climate change such as ocean plastics, toxic pollutants, deforestation, soil and water quality etc.
Some of those projects are really amazing. I’ve been following The Ocean Cleanup since the early days, the plastic soups in the ocean are horrible. The one in the Great Ocean is bigger than France. I mean can you imagine that, a plastic soup bigger than France.

Reforestation projects are amazing aswel. China has been doing a great job fighting desertification, while in Africa they’re building the ‘green wall’ for years now. Other smaller projects on a more local level are great aswel. There have been tests to restore the oyster banks in the North Sea, with 3D printed stones with holes where oysters will settle. Apparently once it was full here with oysters but due to fishing their habitat just got destroyed.

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007
It comes to me as no surprise that you are among climate change deniers. Earth is flat, vaccines are bad, etc.
Not surprised also about your uncapabability to read and understand.
Here it is one more time, just for "special" people like you:
I know climate is changing but it's not 100% man made. Climate was having drastic changes in periods when there was no industry to cause it.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I know climate is changing but it's not 100% man made. Climate was having drastic changes in periods when there was no industry to cause it.
can you respond to my earlier request. you said that scientists claimed plastic straws in oceans are causing climate change. i asked you to provide three sources.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Majority of scientists claim that climate change is primarily driven by CO2 emission. However, you choose to believe and quote 1% that denies our influence. Yes, climate changed before but not as much in such a short period of time.

AlexDP705

Jul 10, 2018
Climate isn't changing in the same way it has previously. Over the past two centuries warming has risen much faster than average, with studies estimating it to be more than 10x faster than the transition out of the last ice age (which are Earth's fastest known natural climate change) which saw an average of 1°C increase every 1000 years, while we're on course to hit 1.5°C in just 100. This rapid increase in such a relatively short time period cannot be accounted for by natural factors including amount of solar activity, planetary orbit and cycle, or CO2 from natural sources, which lead to changes over a timescale of thousands of years. It can however be explained by the rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 levels from human activity over this time, and we can tell how much of this CO2 is from things like burning fossil fuels because the resulting carbon isotopes have a distinct fingerprint.

Last edited:

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007
Climate isn't changing in the same way it has previously. Over the past two centuries warming has risen much faster than average, with studies estimating it to be more than 10x faster than the transition out of the last ice age (which are Earth's fastest known natural climate change) which saw an average of 1°C increase every 1000 years, while we're on course to hit 1.5°C in just 100. This rapid increase in such a relatively short time period cannot be accounted for by natural factors including amount of solar activity, planetary orbit and cycle, or CO2 from natural sources, which lead to changes over a timescale of thousands of years. It can however be explained by the rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 levels from human activity over this time, and we can tell how much of this CO2 is from things like burning fossil fuels because the resulting carbon isotopes have a distinct fingerprint.
There isn't rapid increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, in contrary CO2 is steadily declining in last 140 milion years. As a planet we are dangerously close to bottom survival threshold for vegetation that means if level of CO2 drops little bit more there will be less food for every living thing on this planet.
I can't understand why this isn't widely recognised and talked about. Why there is so much agenda for lowering CO2 emissions from common folks when that isn't the main problem.
I can't believe there's one sane person who is against reduction of plastic and chemical waste which is polluting our environment but this agenda should be very much distinguished from CO2 agenda. They must not be pushed on the backs of common people as parts of the same problem.
main-qimg-3ddc687b8f4f0cbe89757b4af4e39ca6.jpeg

AlexDP705

Jul 10, 2018
There isn't rapid increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, in contrary CO2 is steadily declining in last 140 milion years. As a planet we are dangerously close to bottom survival threshold for vegetation that means if level of CO2 drops little bit more there will be less food for every living thing on this planet.
I can't understand why this isn't widely recognised and talked about. Why there is so much agenda for lowering CO2 emissions from common folks when that isn't the main problem.
I can't believe there's one sane person who is against reduction of plastic and chemical waste which is polluting our environment but this agenda should be very much distinguished from CO2 agenda. They must not be pushed on the backs of common people as parts of the same problem.
main-qimg-3ddc687b8f4f0cbe89757b4af4e39ca6.jpeg
Over human history (see again this nasa graph) there has been a consistent fluctuation of natural CO2 levels of around 180 to 300ppm between glacial and interglacial periods, except for the most recent decades where it has rapidly increased. CO2 levels are now 50% higher than before the industrial revolution, and the rate of increase over the past 60 years is 100 times faster than prior natural increases. There’s no apparent downward trend over the past 800,000 years.

But let’s assume that 140 million year graph is correct and that overall it’s trending down. It still doesn’t forecast CO2 levels minus human emissions to reach that supposed threshold for millions of years. Even if we were to completely stop CO2 emissions today, it would still take thousands of years for CO2 to fall back just to pre-industrial levels, because the rate at which it is absorbed by natural processes is much slower than the rate we have been adding it to the atmosphere.

Agriculture and therefore human civilization is believed to have only been possible due the relatively mild climate we have enjoyed since the end of the last ice age around 12,000 years ago. Over those thousands of years and up until the industrial revolution CO2 levels gradually rose from 240 to 280ppm. In the last 200 years alone it's risen to 420ppm, and if emissions continue to increase unchecked it's forecasted to rise to above 1000ppm by the end of this century, a rate of change that took on average tens of millions of years in the graph you shared.

Plant growth has a direct relationship to CO2 levels yes, but so do things like temperature, weather, fresh water supply, insect populations etc. The impact of rising CO2 levels on these factors and in particular it's direct link to rising global temperatures, plus the ongoing depletion of topsoil health from industrial agricultural practices is expected to negatively outweigh any gains from higher plant growth due to rising CO2 levels, straining crop yields and global food supply. This will happen a hell of a lot sooner than any risk of plant reduction from much lower CO2 levels that we wouldn't even see until the next glacial period, and this now isn't expected for hundreds of thousands of years due to (you guessed it) the rise in CO2 levels.

What is the source of that data/graph on vegetation survival threshold? I can only find a similar graph on something called the “CO2 coalition” which is the successor to GMI, a climate denial/skeptic think tank that was previously funded by Exxon Mobil, who have a history of funding climate change denial as do many others with interests in the fossil fuel industry. But I guess there's no "agenda" there.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Isn’t this very debatable, warming went very fast after the Younger Dryas. On local levels such as Greenland up to 10 degrees celcius in a decade, although the northern hemisphere was effected a lot more by warming than the southern hemisphere.

IMG_2641.png

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Isn’t this very debatable, warming went very fast after the Younger Dryas. On local levels such as Greenland up to 10 degrees celcius in a decade, although the northern hemisphere was effected a lot more by warming than the southern hemisphere.

IMG_2641.png
Think there needs to be a distinction made between natural severe and sudden cyclical climate change that can and will happen in periods of thousands of years, and the scientific concensus that the driving factor of the current issue is anthropogenic.

For example ozone depletion is partly caused by natural phenomena, but it's clear that human causal and preventative action is the biggest factor in how it is managed. It's just easier for us to focus on a hole in a fixed spot and fear being melted by the sun than it us to see the bigger impact of what a rise in a few degrees means over a few decades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)