Global Financial Crisis (7 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh my God, a failed bond auction??? This would NEVER happen in Belgium.

Belgian debt sale falters

ByDavid Oakley, Capital Markets Correspondent
The Financial Times

Published: June 7 2010 13:54 | Last updated: June 7 2010 13:54

Belgium struggled to raise debt in auctions on Monday as political uncertainty and economic problems deterred investors from buying the country’s bonds.

Investors demanded almost a percentage point more in yields to hold Belgian 10-year bonds instead of German bunds. This is half a percentage point more than just a week ago and the widest spread since March 2009.

The country sold €3.2bn of bonds due in 2012, 2016 and 2020. The key 10-year auction saw a bid-to-cover ratio of only 1.4 times, which is much lower than the general average of about 2.

Belgian 10-year bonds fell for the fifth day in a row as worries rose that politicians were failing to grasp the need to cut the country’s high debt levels.

Belgium’s debt stands at 99 per cent of its gross domestic product, the highest in the eurozone after Greece and Italy, and is forecast to exceed GDP by the end of the year.

However, no political party is campaigning for an explicit belt-tightening mandate ahead of national elections next Sunday.

WAIT, OH SHIT, THIS IS BELGIUM?!?!?!?!?

Time to buy those waffle default swaps.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
"In the week ending June 5, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 456,000, a decrease of 3,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 459,000. The 4-week moving average was 463,000, an increase of 2,500 from the previous week's revised average of 460,500."

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/eta/ui/current.htm

So what they did was revised last week's numbers upwards by 6,000, then reported a 3,000 decrease in unemployment the following week. So that's still a net increase of 3,000 unemployment claims. :lol:

The games they play with the data are just laughable.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Marc Faber: The Financial Crisis Has Seen Governments Expand "Like A Cancer"

Marc Faber spoke with CNBC this morning about the state of the global financial system and how the economy will react to the withdrawal of stimulus.

He called governments a "cancer" that have expanded into the financial system.

He was also dismissive of the current Spanish bond auction, suggesting that it makes no sense compared to being in equities.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/marc-faber-government-cancer-2010-6#ixzz0rBG4W318

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
BREAKING -- OBAMA, BIDEN DECLARE “RECOVERY SUMMER”: Vice President Biden today will kick off “Recovery Summer,” a six-week-long push designed to highlight the jobs accompanying a surge in stimulus-funded projects to improve highways, parks, drinking water and other public works. Biden will present President Obama with a report laying out a spike in stimulus activity this summer, and how it will contribute to a steady climb to a total of 3.5 million Recovery Act jobs by the end of the year. Biden, Obama and other administration officials will travel to more than two dozen Recovery Act project sites in coming weeks. Tomorrow, the president will travel to Columbus, Ohio, to mark the groundbreaking of the 10,000th Recovery Act road project, around Nationwide Children’s Hospital. On Monday, Biden will travel to Midland, Mich., for the groundbreaking of the new Dow Kokam advanced battery manufacturing facility.

http://www.politico.com/playbook/

U.S. INITIAL JOBLESS CLAIMS ROSE 12,000 TO 472,000 LAST WEEK

- MarketWatch

U.S. JUNE PHILADELPHIA FED FACTORY INDEX AT 8.0 VS 21.4

-MarketWatch

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The hilarity is endless.

There is no recovery. THERE IS NO FUCKING RECOVERY YOU IDIOTS! JUST ACCEPT IT ALREADY.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Here's a great piece of commentary by the 88 year-old Dow Theorist Richard Russell. He lived through the Great Depression and believes we are heading towards an even bigger one now. Every day he puts out market commentary, and it's always well written. Today was no exception.

June 28, 2010 -- "What did you hear, my blue eyed son? What did you hear, my darling young one? I heard the sound of thunder that roared out a warning, and it's hard, and it's hard --" Bob Dylan
My investment strategy is now being voiced or followed by too many major hedge funds. The thinking is that as vanishing stimuli and de-leveraging takes over, the economies of the world pressured by central bank conservatism will force the US and western nations into a double-dip deflationary recession. The response will be to keep rates at zero and open the money spigots wide, wide, wide. This is where ownership of gold "was supposed to" come in.

Then, I ask myself, is this scenario too pat? Is it too popular? There's always a fooler. Where’s the fooler this time? I think the fooler will be the stock market. The stock market will be considerably worse than the smart boys are figuring on. Deflationary pressures will be severe and the need to re-inflate will be more pressing than ever.

Gold will be needed – not as a safe haven against inflation, but as a safe haven against crushing deflation. Deflation will flatten everything in sight including base metals, commodities, housing, job creation. The single island of preserving wealth will be gold. Unlike junk fiat currencies, gold cannot be devalued.

As I look ahead, the area that the experts do not understand is the stock market. Almost all the current opinions revolve around stocks remaining in a high-level trading range. This will prove to be an horrendous miscalculation.

Why do I think the stock market will be so rotten? Here's why. Look at the chart of the Dow in the current issue of Barron’s. Or study the chart of the Dow below. If this isn’t the mother of all head-and-shoulder top-formations, I’ve never seen one. If this formation falls apart, I expect the break to signal a the start of a brutal decline in stocks. The first area of support is Dow 10,000. The base of the entire formation comes in at Dow 9800. If the formation breaks down, I think all previous plans, scenarios and strategies will hit a stone wall. Wall Street and public sentiment will turn black-bearish. Consumers will head for the storm cellars and once in, they'll shut the door above them and lock it.

Question -- Russell, you keep talking about institutional selling. But from every corner, we hear how rapidly the economy is improving. I don't get it, if the economy is improving, why in hell would the smart money be selling stocks?

Answer -- First, you must understand that Wall Street is interested in only one thing -- MONEY. Wall Street feels no shame, no sorrow, no guilt, no remorse. Wall Street only has feelings for money. If the Street is truly bearish, if the institutions are negative, then their best strategy is to try to stir up optimism. And that's exactly what they're doing. Every plus in the economy, every improving statistic is blown up and fed to the media. You need an optimistic retail crowd to sell in to.

So shameless Wall Street creates the ideal background for selling stocks. Here look at the tell-tale evidence. "Distribution days" are days when volume expands on down markets. The profusion of distribution days is one of the studies that turned me bearish.

Here are the latest distribution figures covering the action of the last two weeks -- 3 for the S&P 500, 2 for the Dow and 2 for the NYSE Composite, and 1 for the NASDAQ.

So what's going on? Simple, the big money is unloading stocks all the while telling the public that the economy is improving. In the meantime, read Barron's, read Smart Money Magazine, read Fortune or Forbes. And what are they writing about? Stocks, stocks, stocks to buy. This is clearly against my advice which all along has been -- "Get the hell out of all stocks (except gold mining shares).

My position -- Own gold and gold items and cash. Write this on your blackboard ten times.

The Recovering R-Man

The big G-20 meeting is over. They set a target of cutting deficits. Frankly, I don't see what came out of all this BS and publicity. Sure nations want to cut deficits. Only Germany has the will and the discipline. Other nations will complain, strike and keep spending more than they are taking in, all the while building up greater debts.

In the meantime, at the G-20 meeting China's Zhou eyed a bigger role for emerging nations. China's officials made it known that China wants to take a more active leadership in the post-recession world.

Russell Comment -- I believe China wants to own the world's reserve currency and lead the world as the US has done ever since WW II. China views the US and the West as a declining area. China has massive reserves, China is buying up the world (think Africa), China owns 97% of the world's rare earths, and China has the will and the patience -- and the plan.

While in the hospital I awakened at 2:30 AM one morning. I turned on the TV, and there was this huge, fierce-looking man lecturing to a group of maybe 50 young, tough-looking tattooed men. The speaker was Hispanic, he told the crowd that he was an ex-doper, and a street-dealer that he had been a big-time gang leader in LA. He said he had broken free of the gang life, and was now devoting himself to helping "gang-bangers" do the same thing. Then he roared something that made me sit up in bed. He implored his audience, "Don't give your life over to something or somebody else. You were born free. Don't give your life away."

I thought about that statement for hours. And I realized how many people give their lives away. Some do it by joining the fast, destructive life of Hollywood. Others do it by joining a gang. Still others do it by turning over their lives to a cult. Others do it by turning over their lives to an organized religion.

The minute you give your life away, you have no life -- no identity. Why do people do it? That answer is fear -- they're afraid to exist on their own. They're afraid of the panic that comes from realizing that you have no parents to protect you. You have no identity. You look for some one else or some cult to provide you with an identity. You're afraid to exist "alone and afraid, in a world I never made" - (James Farrell).

It's one thing to be obsessed, say by medicine or the stock market or by fishing. That's just following your interests. But it doesn't mean giving your life away. When you give your life away you don't exist. You become a lost soul in somebody's else's world.
:tup:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Things are starting to fall apart again. Jobless claims this past week were a disaster, coming in at 472k, on expectations of 455k. Prior numbers were revised, surprise, surprise, higher to 459k from 457k.

Equities are in free fall again today, and we are officially 20% off the market highs in April. That means we are officially in a bear market when it comes to stocks. But the problem is, we were never really in a bull market, fundamentally-speaking, because nothing has changed in the economy. The morons on CNBC and in the government wanted to suck people back in to the market, claiming that it was a new bull that would last 48 months. But no, it's not. And lots of people are going to get hurt believing what those clowns have to say.

This isn't a "double dip recession". There was no recovery. It's a double DICK recession, with Bernanke and Obama leading us into the second Great Depression.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Another great piece of commentary by Dow Theorist Richard Russell.

THE MOST RECENT DOW THEORY LETTER HAS JUST BEEN POSTED TO OUR SITE.

Edited by Faye Russell

July 6, 2010 -- This will be a special Tuesday report due to the extreme importance of the current situation.

"We can't control the stock market. The very best we can do is to try to understand what the stock market is trying to tell us." Richard Russell

There's only one crystal ball that reflects the future of business and economics. That crystal ball is the stock market. There's only one forecaster for the stock market. That forecaster is the market itself.

If you can understand the full meaning of the three sentences above, you will be far ahead of the vast majority of market analysts and writers and reporters, and ahead of most fund managers and professionals.

Let's start with the big picture by viewing the stock market as a purely physical phenomenon. This is a way to eliminate all emotions, opinions and prejudices. The Oct. 7, 2007 Dow high close was 14164. From there the Dow crashed to a March 2009 low of 6547.

The halfway or 50% level of that decline is 10355. On the advance from 2009 to the present, the Dow broke temporarily above this halfway level but couldn't generate the momentum to continue higher. As I write, the Dow is back below the halfway level -- back in negative territory -- a bearish surrender.

The big technical question for the bulls at this juncture is -- "can the Dow close above 10355 and advance impressively from there?" If it can't, the bulls are whistling in the wind. The big question for the bears at this juncture is -- "will the Dow continue down and test its March 2009 low?" I think we'll know the answer to that within the next few months.

In my opinion, the stock market is currently in the process of forming a major top. Here's where it gets tricky. Read any bullish piece in the media (and there are plenty of them). You will note that, invariably, the bullish arguments have absolutely nothing to do with market action (the current lousy market action is denied or completely ignored). The bullish arguments invariably have to do with dividends, rising earnings, declining P/E ratios, government stimuli and vague opinions about "better home prices ahead," or predictions of "rising consumer spending" (in other words, hopes and optimistic guesses).

I ignore all the forecasts and opinions of the analysts. My studies have to do strictly with market action. I don't want to know what the economists are telling me -- I want to know that the stock market is telling me. This is the "secret language" of the stock market that I have spent the better part of my life studying. Here's some of the market action that I've noted:

the distribution days are still occurring, a continuing sign of institutional selling.
my PTI has finally turned bearish, and its distance from its 89-day moving average is widening bearishly.
the advance-decline for the NYSE topped out on April 23, 2010, and is now breaking down. The NYSE Composite includes all the stocks on the NYSE, and when the majority of NYSE issues are trending down, that's undeniably bearish.
the number of new stock highs hit a peak of 674 on April 26 and then turned down. By last Friday, new highs had sunk to 64 (an ominous drop of over 90%), and new lows had expanded to 115. Thus, more stocks are now breaking support than are breaking out to the upside.
the Lowry's figures are equally negative. As of Friday, Lowry's Selling Pressure Index (supply) was a huge 503 points above their Buying Power Index (demand). Thus Selling Pressure dominates Buying Power by a significant amount. This is one of the reasons why so many stock market rallies fade and end with a lower Dow at the close. The huge dominating force of Selling Pressure is also the reason why any minor decline in the stock market can quickly morph into a downside waterfall.

I have a large number of subscribers who are professionals, and many of them have their own market publications. I note that lately quite a few of these advisories have followed my advice and are now telling their subscribers to "dump all their stocks." They don't provide any reasons for their sudden bearishness, which makes me wonder whether they are just hopping on to my band wagon.

I'm naturally suspicious of my fellow man. And I wonder how this market may cross-up these latecomers. With the current internal weakness, I view the stock market as suspended in mid-air. It reminds me of those cartoon movies where Wiley Coyote chases the road runner right off a cliff. Wiley, to his horror, realizes that he is suspended in mid-air. As he recognizes his predicament, he plunges earthward.

The stock market has violated a long list of lows. Technically, the only plus in the picture is that while the Dow has violated its February 2010 low of 9908, the Transports have not confirmed. Therefore, we could get a surprising near-term rally that will scare the hell out of the bears and turn the whole market picture into a further huge question mark.

The other fooler could be this. The Dow has declined for 8 of the last 9 sessions, and as such it "should" be oversold on a near-term basis and ready to give us at least a bounce. The surprise could be a crash ahead, which in its intensity, would shock both bulls and bears.

But what about the longer term picture? The forthcoming action of the stock market itself could serve to turn consumers increasingly frightened and bearish. Since its high, this bear market has been merciless in costing Americans trillions of dollars. All portfolios and 401(k) plans and pension plans have been attacked, and confusion reigns. The prevailing sentiment is that something is dreadfully wrong.

Darkening sentiment on the part of America's consumers is defeating all the stimuli and spending plans of the Administration. And my guess is that the stock market is going to get worse in the last half of 2010 and probably into 2011. This will crush consumer sentiment (remember 70% of our GDP is a product of consumer spending) and send the nation into a deep recession.

Unfortunately, neither Mr. Bernanke nor Mr. Obama has the slightest understanding of, or belief in, the stock market. In fighting the bear market, they are truly spitting into the wind.

The stock market dominates all -- its primary trend is more powerful than the President, the Administration, the Congress, the Fed and the Treasury all taken together.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
We're at a critical point in the jobs crisis. Nearly 30 million of us don't have jobs or have been forced into part-time jobs. It's not like there's no work to do. We have millions and millions of kids to educate. We desperately need to slash our energy use--and with an army of workers, we could weatherize every home and business in the country. Our bridges and roads will take decades to repair. We need to build an entire national system of efficient public transit.
That's nice and all, but the fact is we don't live in a utopian Bernanke society where he can dump money bags from helicopters to get us out of massive deflation (he really claimed that before he took the job as Fed Chairman).

Who will pay to weatherize millions of homes that are already overvalued? Home owners? Most home owners are living off their credit cards as it is, or struggling to live from paycheck to paycheck. And because of the recent housing bubble, most of these homes don't even need to be weatherized. Will the government pay for it? Can they pay for it? Hell no.

So where will the dough come from?

How about the bridges and roads? Where will the money for those projects come from?

The fact of the matter is, consumers are maxed out, and the government is maxed out. With our debt to GDP ratio racing towards 100% in the United States, we are becoming the Greece and Italy of the Americas. Despite what folks say, this isn't good, and it DOES matter. As Greece found out, credit lines begin to run dry and default looms. This is in our future if we do not start acting now and reducing government debt.

I'm very sorry, but the government cannot take on any more of these multi-billion-dollar projects from borrowing and spending. It's tough, but all debts need to be cleared from the system, and that doesn't mean taking on more debt. You can raise taxes, sure, but that will destroy the consumer even more, PLUS cut down on tax revenue.

There isn't anyway out of this. We've entered another great depression. Decades of living beyond our means on the basis of credit expansion mathematically must come to an end, and it will end, whether we need jobs or not.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Here's a great article from ZeroHedge per John Williams from Shadowstats, a service that analyzes government statistics. This time he takes a look at money supply (M3). He also admits that CNBC has been a shill for Wall Street and the government for decades.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/sh...anda-spin-watching-cnbc-can-be-hazardous-your

Shadowstats' John Williams Exposes The Media's Propaganda Spin, Or Why Watching CNBC Can Be Hazardous To Your Wealth

In his latest letter to subscribers, Shadowstats' John Williams dissects recent economic data, and after providing yet more evidence that after the recent period of "bottom-bouncing at a low-level plateau of business activity" the economy has once again entered a double dip. Overall, it has cost the US taxpayers several trillion in debt (which will never be repaid), and a major hit to the value of the paper in their wallets, just to play the game of extend and pretend for a just under 18 months. The positive effects of the sugar high are now gone, leaving just the negative, one of which is the propaganda spin engulfing the entire legacy media complex whose survival depends on the ongoing perpetuation of the Ponzi lie that all is well. And courtesy of Mr. Williams we have prima facie evidence of precisely why formerly reputable channels such as CNBC are in the process destroying their credibility and causing an exodus of viewers, with the few remaining viewers remaining primarily for the opportunity to heckle the openly lying talking heads. To wit from Shadowstats: "Let me recount two personal experiences. Back in late-1989, I contended that the U.S. economy was in or headed into a deep recession. CNBC had me in to discuss my views along with a senior economist for a large New York bank, who was looking for continued economic growth. Before the show, the bank economist and I shared our views in the Green Room. I outlined my case for a major recession, and, to my shock, his response was, "I think that pretty much is the consensus." We got on the air, I gave my recession pitch, and he proclaimed a booming economy for the year ahead. He was a good economist and knew what was happening, but he had to put out the story mandated by his employer, or he would not have had a job. More recently, following an interview on a major cable news network (not CNBC), I was advised off-air by the producer that they were operating under a corporate mandate to give the economic news a positive spin, irrespective of how bad it was." And now you know that watching stations like CNBC for anything more than just comedic value is hazardous to your health and wealth.

John Williams criticism is even harsher:

Further complicating the outlook is a more traditional issue: pronouncements by some economists on Wall Street and financial reporters in the popular media, who act as shills for the needs of Wall Street and political Washington. While there are a number of fine and honest economists and financial reporters in their respective fields, there also are those — often very heavily publicized — who spew Pollyannaish nonsense aimed at affecting public sentiment and/or the financial markets during troubled economic times.

I know from other personal experiences that these circumstances are commonplace. A simple example of recent distortion was yesterday’s positive hype over an unexpectedly-low weekly jobless claims number. Widely known — at least I have discussed the matter frequently — is that the Department of Labor cannot adjust the weekly claims numbers meaningfully for regular seasonal variations. Accordingly, reporting around holidays invariably results in unusually large and unexpected swings in the weekly numbers. Yesterday’s data covered the onset of the Fourth of July weekend. It would not be at all unusual to see a similarly-meaningless reverse-gyration in next week’s release.
At least we can now drop any pretense that America and the Evil Empire of the 1980's are in any way different - central planning: check; complete media subjugation: check; power to the (unionized) workers: check; "free" healthcare for all - check; the only difference is that the hegemonic kleptocrats in the US, i.e., the banking elite, are sophisticated enough to keep the plebs distracted and while enjoying their last years of power in a collapsing regime, are rapidly transferring whatever remaining pockets of wealth in US (and global) society are left to their own private safes in undisclosed locations. We know how things ended for the once great USSR - it should provide a great roadmap for what is coming to the US.

And while we are on the topic of John Williams, who remains the only accurate tracker of M3 now that the Fed deems this monetary aggregate irrelevant, here is his latest commentary on the inflation-adjusted M3. It's ugly:

Plotted below is the year-to-year change in real (inflation-adjusted) M3 (updated for the Fed’s revisions) versus U.S. recessions, as recognized by the National Bureau of Economic Research. Whenever annual real change in M3 has turned negative, the economy always has fallen into recession, or if already in recession, the economy has entered a period of intensified downturn, usually within six to nine months of the initial M3 downturn. The signal for economic trouble ahead is the annual real M3 growth first turning negative, as happened in December 2009.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Now here's an unemployment article that is actually worth reading, unlike the more mainline crap. These estimates are a bit more sound when it comes to the REAL unemployment rate.

The Jobless Effect: Is the Real Unemployment Rate 16.5%, 22%, or...

Raghavan Mayur, president at TechnoMetrica Market Intelligence, follows unemployment data closely. So, when his survey for May revealed that 28% of the 1,000-odd households surveyed reported that at least one member was looking for a full-time job, he was flummoxed.

"Our numbers are always very accurate, so I was surprised at the discrepancy with the government's numbers," says Mayur, whose firm owns the TIPP polling unit, a polling partner for Investors' Business Daily and Christian Science Monitor. After all, the headline number shows the U.S. unemployment rate today is 9.5%, with a total of 14.6 million jobless people.

However, Mayur's polls continued to find much worse figures. The June poll turned up 27.8% of households with at least one member who's unemployed and looking for a job, while the latest poll conducted in the second week of July showed 28.6% in that situation. That translates to an unemployment rate of over 22%, says Mayur, who has started questioning the accuracy of the Labor Department's jobless numbers.

College Grads Serving Fries

Plus, having a job today is quite different from what it was just a few years ago: Many Americans have had their hours cut and are working for less pay. A Pew Research survey found more than half of all adults in the labor force had either lost a job or suffered a reduction in income because of the recession.

Ginsburg says the biggest source of undercounting comes from people who can't find a full-time job that they're qualified to do, for instance recent college graduates who take part-time jobs at fast-food joints or retail stores. Today, the Labor Department estimates that 8.6 million people are in this category.

The federal government counts such people as employed. However, polls show that these folks actually consider themselves "unemployed" and "looking for a job," and probably accounted for a large chunk of TechnoMetrica's respondents.

Jobless Workers Who Disappear

"Isn't it interesting that if you stopped looking for a job, you evaporate as a jobless person and are just not counted," says Gerald Celente, director of Trends Research Institute in Kingston, N.Y. Celente believes this kind of undercounting has suited the government politically. "It's what government does: Downplay disasters and amplify success." :tup:

Misreading Americans' Anxiety

However, John Williams, founder of Shadow Government Statistics, says when accounting for the long-term unemployed, the jobless rate runs up to as much as 22% currently. Williams's newsletter, which analyzes flaws in government economic data, points out that such a rate isn't that far from the 25% it hit during the Great Depression.
Full article here.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/careers/what-is-the-real-unemployment-rate/19556146/

Gee, real unemployment is somewhere between 17 and 26%. Great Depression numbers hit 25% several years into its duration. How many years has it been since the start of this economic calamity? THREE.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
This sounds like a great headline... until you read the first sentence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100720/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment_6

Unemployment rate falls in 39 states in June

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer

WASHINGTON – The unemployment rate fell in most states in June, mainly because more people gave up searching for work and were no longer counted.

Fewer states saw job increases, the latest evidence that the economic recovery is slowing.

The jobless rate declined in 39 states and Washington, D.C. last month, the Labor Department said Tuesday. That's a slight improvement from May, when 37 states saw their rates decline.
:lol:

U-3 government bullshit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)