Giuseppe Rossi - SS - Villarreal (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:rofl: ,

I'll take that as sarcasm.:D :pint:

@Andy,

I understand why Rossi made his choice. To be fair, I would have done the same. After all, players want to compete at the highest level, and whilst Italia are perrenial contender for WC, USA, while a better than most give credit for, are not quite at the Italian level. The same applies to Owen Hargreaves, I guess.
Owen Hargreaves was born and raised in Canada if I remember correctly, played most of his football in Germany, and doesn't really have any personal connection to England besides his parents (I assume). So it is my belief, just like that of Rossi, that they're essentially just picking the more pretty option of the two instead of the most loyal, so to speak. That's rather whorish if you ask me, but you are right about his choice of wanting to compete at the highest level.

I suppose I wouldn't be as angry if he actually showed some respect to his own nation's football instead of just cutting off the real roots of where he once called "home."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Max

Jul 15, 2003
You do know that before Rossi went to Manchester United he got his football education in Parma?
Yes. Did you know that one cow's meat is equivalent to 131 000 burgers? :D

I don't know, Rossi could be a fluke so it's best that Juventus work with what's already proven at this time. I'd rather have a mediocre player acquired from a free than a mediocre player who rings in at over 4 million British Pounds.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What I mean is that, as any rational human being would understand, that Rossi's not exactly a stranger to Italian football. The guy's born in Jersey, big deal. By that norm my brother should be a freaking Zambian. Rossi could choose between Italy and the US, and whilst they were most probably equal options to him in terms of patriotism, he chose the one where he would spend his football life.

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
Rossi, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo, Aguero and Anderson are the players I expect to play the biggest roles in football for the coming 10 years. Would be great to have at least one of them.

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005
Looks like he's a very perspective player with huge potential. I sure would like to see him in Juve alongside Palladino. He could be the new DP...
I don't know about playing them both together, niether seems like a finisher around the goal area but that could be because of there lack of playing time and they both have very similiar qualities.

If i had to choose between them i would take Palladino and it's a real thin margin, as i think there both going to be star players in the future.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Owen Hargreaves was born and raised in Canada if I remember correctly, played most of his football in Germany, and doesn't really have any personal connection to England besides his parents (I assume). So it is my belief, just like that of Rossi, that they're essentially just picking the more pretty option of the two instead of the most loyal, so to speak. That's rather whorish if you ask me, but you are right about his choice of wanting to compete at the highest level.

I suppose I wouldn't be as angry if he actually showed some respect to his own nation's football instead of just cutting off the real roots of where he once called "home."
Oh Andy, I wasn't intending to justify their actions. I just wanted to point out personal motives for such choice. As far as I am concerned, yes, I do think both Rossi and Owen Hargreaves are mercenaries, though, they weren't be only one in modern day game.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
i dont understand why we are criticising the boy for choosing italy there is nothing wrong with that. Im technically Welsh, my only italian blood is through my nonno who i am exceptionally close to, but because of my up bringing i feel more italian than i do welsh mainly because my dad who is the only other welsh person was not there for my childhood and because my mum is english. My nonno and nan helped to bring me up and italian tradition is very important to them, i would pick italy over wales in football, rugby, table tennis, swiming or even fishing!!! Nationality is down to individual circumstances and in this case no one knows rossi's.

i disagree and i am really quite offended by people on this forum who would brand me as a mercenary or accuse me of having no patriotism for chosing Italy, i believe you are what you feel and no one can label you except yourself, it doesnt matter what your passport or birth certificate says.

Mar 14, 2004
What are you talking about? Rossi is not "originally Italian." He's originally from Jersey, born and raised. Camoranesi, on the other hand, has Italian ancestry as well. :shifty:
It doesn't matter where you've been born and raised......what does matter is what kind of name you have in your passport(no matter which one)....and Giuseppe Rossi sounds like italian to me :)

Manny Croat players have been born and raised in Aussie,Germany....but their name,their culture and their native home language tells them to opt for their NATIVE HOMELAND. Besides,it was not their descission to be born in USA,Germany or Aussie.....

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
well i think its just his agent talking crap from his ass, to get Man U to pay him more attention and provide him with a contract

2nd, we have palladino ffs and an option on Boji, why would we be thinking of him.Although hes a good player, both those two r better from wat i've seen of the youngester

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It doesn't matter where you've been born and raised......what does matter is what kind of name you have in your passport(no matter which one)....and Giuseppe Rossi sounds like italian to me :)
Hmm, okay. I'm gonna name my son Kim Donk Seoul and let him play for the Korean National Team just because I gave him a suitable name that sounds Korean. Nice logic. :rolleyes:

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Very good player. Also, using his few and far between appearances at Newcastle as an indication isn't fair. He has tore up the youth set up in England for Utd. Yesterday vs Torino, he was 1 of the best players on the park, in his debut.

Rossi choosing Italy over the U.S is only a problem for Americans. Football, sorry soccer, isn't even an accepted mainstream sport in North America, but out of patriotism (despite the fact he has more Italian blood in him than American), he has turn down the chance to honour his true heritage? If anything, it would be disgraceful to his grandparents and parents to turn down such a move. This isn't the French were talking about. Italians take their origins extremely seriously.

Furthermore, reading into someone's personal decision and coming to such negative views is shortsighted and illogical. None of his behaviour on the pitch indicate any of the conclusions some of u have come to. If anything, its pointed to the exact opposite. He had many loan offers to choose from, yet he choose to return to his former club to help them fight out of relegation. Thats a very nice gesture since bigger clubs made offers.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
its true, he grew up in the USA, obviously had some soccer training here, but was seasoned in Italy, with the Parma youth teams...

his parents are straight from Italy, he speaks fluent Italian, he has spent some years over there, so I can understand his decision

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Very good player. Also, using his few and far between appearances at Newcastle as an indication isn't fair. He has tore up the youth set up in England for Utd. Yesterday vs Torino, he was 1 of the best players on the park, in his debut.

Rossi choosing Italy over the U.S is only a problem for Americans. Football, sorry soccer, isn't even an accepted mainstream sport in North America, but out of patriotism (despite the fact he has more Italian blood in him than American), he has turn down the chance to honour his true heritage? If anything, it would be disgraceful to his grandparents and parents to turn down such a move. This isn't the French were talking about. Italians take their origins extremely seriously.

Furthermore, reading into someone's personal decision and coming to such negative views is shortsighted and illogical. None of his behaviour on the pitch indicate any of the conclusions some of u have come to. If anything, its pointed to the exact opposite. He had many loan offers to choose from, yet he choose to return to his former club to help them fight out of relegation. Thats a very nice gesture since bigger clubs made offers.
Ahh yes, because I'm sure you frequently check the "soccer," oh sorry, football ( :rolleyes: ) headlines within the United States.

It's this sort of condescending attitude I'm talking about.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Rossi, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo, Aguero and Anderson are the players I expect to play the biggest roles in football for the coming 10 years. Would be great to have at least one of them.
Well, Foti, Aguero, Sahin are all big players on my FM. :D

Anyhow, I've been watching Rossi for quite sum time, I think he'll be big.

I strongly disagree with the logic that Rossi is unpatriotic by not choosing US. If his parents are both Italian it seems to make sense that he opt either nation, eventhough he was born in the US. Its really personal preference, I would think though that if he did choose the US nationals, he would be a rather big star at home, considering there are really no other US soccer/football stars.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I don't see what the big deal is. The guy is Italian, doesn't matter where he's born. But because he holds citizenship of both countries he has a choice who he wants to represent. Should he pick the US just because that's where he got his training? What's the logic there? By that logic Muslimović should play for Sweden and Trezeguet should play for Argentina.

OP
Matteo4Azzurri
Jan 7, 2007
  • Thread Starter #58
    I don't see what the big deal is. The guy is Italian, doesn't matter where he's born. But because he holds citizenship of both countries he has a choice who he wants to represent. Should he pick the US just because that's where he got his training? What's the logic there? By that logic Muslimovi? should play for Sweden and Trezeguet should play for Argentina.
    + Rep :pint:

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    I thought he had potential when he was at Man Utd,but he hasnt really blown the opposition away with Newcastle so far.Maybe the english game doesnt suit him.If he's cheap,then i wouldnt mind him at Juventus.Him choosing Italy over the U.S doesnt count for shit as long as he's a good player.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)