frick

Apr 4, 2010
The real mastermind of our serial title winning runs and it shows. The club is in shambles after he left. Also succeeded in giving the Inter a title after 10 years of running dry.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
@GordoDeCentral genuine question, seeing the mess we're in after he was fired, and the relative calm at inda despite the shaky chinese background, you still wouldn't take beppe back?
The way i see it is this, with beppe we had reached his ceiling with us in his last couple of years. We had 2 choices, settle for being an italian powerhouse that could never rub shoulders with the euro elite, or take a gamble and go all in to close the gap, we chose the latter and for many reasons we came up short. I personally would always go for option 2.

Now to answer your question, beppe never was successful without conte. He has definitely a knack for getting good, emphasis on good here, players on the cheap. Would i take him ahead of cherubini, yes i would because in a rebuild you can't really gamble imo.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The way i see it is this, with beppe we had reached his ceiling with us in his last couple of years. We had 2 choices, settle for being an italian powerhouse that could never rub shoulders with the euro elite, or take a gamble and go all in to close the gap, we chose the latter and for many reasons we came up short. I personally would always go for option 2.

Now to answer your question, beppe never was successful without conte. He has definitely a knack for getting good, emphasis on good here, players on the cheap. Would i take him ahead of cherubini, yes i would because in a rebuild you can't really gamble imo.
100% this

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

I agree with you broadly but there was a third option to continue gradually building the team, progressively buying higher caliber players without breaking the bank i.e. without going for the Ronaldos and De Ligts but still buying good players. We were almost there.. starting with scraps/rejects and an unknown coach (Conte) to attracting established but non-super star players (Mandzukic, Cancelo Matuidi, Khedira, Pjanic), and reaching 2 CL finals.

If Agnelli was counting on Super League money paying for it, then he could have waited two more seasons for the Superleague money to kick in and then spend big. He counted his eggs before they hatched

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I agree with you broadly but there was a third option to continue gradually building the team, progressively buying higher caliber players without breaking the bank i.e. without going for the Ronaldos and De Ligts but still buying good players. We were almost there.. starting with scraps/rejects and an unknown coach (Conte) to attracting established but non-super star players (Mandzukic, Cancelo Matuidi, Khedira, Pjanic), and reaching 2 CL finals.

If Agnelli was counting on Super League money paying for it, then he could have waited two more seasons for the Superleague money to kick in and then spend big. He counted his eggs before they hatched
Though it will be looked at as an easy copout but covid really fucked us over, obviously the recruiting of free agents for midfield was an epic failure, but i think we would have been able to recover those mistakes in pre covid times.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Was that the case?

And he didn't only get "good" players on the cheap. He got players that would turn out to be worldclass on the cheap.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Was that the case?

And he didn't only get "good" players on the cheap. He got players that would turn out to be worldclass on the cheap.
:tup:

We also have no idea what Beppe was planning for summer 2018, if we don’t go and blow our load on Ronaldo. Hindsight and all, so I’m not going to say Ronaldo was a bad signing at the time, as the cherry on top to get a team very close to CL glory over the top, unfortunately it failed as older players declined too much or became to injury prone.

But perhaps Beppe had been planning on spending that money a little more wisely, upgrading the midfield and so on. Who knows. Going by his time here and his time at Inter, he probably had more astute signings in mind as far as building a balanced squad goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)