Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Marotta: 'No deal for Keita’
By Football Italia staff

Giuseppe Marotta insists Juventus do “absolutely not” have a deal for Lazio’s Keita Balde Diao but “we’re interested”.

The Bianconeri have been increasingly linked with the forward, but their general manger insists talk of a deal is premature.

“Is Keita already ours? Absolutely not,” Marotta said on Radio Rai.

“He is a Lazio player and he has another year on his contract. We’re watching him, I think he’s a good player but for the moment there’s no negotiation.

“We’re interested, but we’ll evaluate things calmly.

“We’ve already taken [Mattia] Caldara, although he’ll remain in Bergamo [with Atalanta], and it’s the same for [Leonardo] Spinazzola who is already ours. We’ve focused on interesting youngsters.”

Marotta also discussed the future of Coach Massimiliano Allegri, who has been linked with the Arsenal job.

“When he arrived there was general skepticism but he’s earned the trust of everyone. The relationship between the club and the Coach is great and there are all the prerequisites to continue.

“Of course we haven’t talked about it yet, because all of our thoughts are on the Champions League final.

“Three years ago we had to deal with Antonio Conte’s sudden departure, and we did it in the best way.

“The group and the squad were favourable to the integration of a new Coach. Allegri entered in the best way and put all of his experience at the disposal of the squad.”

Finally, the director discussed next months Champions League final against Real Madrid in Cardiff.

“We’re aware that we’ve improved a lot compared to two years ago,” Marotta said.

“Some players who have already won it, like Dani Alves or [Mario] Mandzukic have come in. Allegri has experience and we want to play until the end.

“My future? I have a wonderful relationship with [President Andrea] Agnelli and we’ve created a winning group. I say that with pride.

“Sooner or later the end will come, but not now. We have a lot of desire to keep winning
:scared:

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
The Best Juventus Side Ever?
Football-Italia Blog

Some are calling this the best Juventus side in history, but Giancarlo Rinaldi gives them at best a bronze medal.

We live in times which are long on opinion and short on memory. In the breakneck rush for absolutes, detailed analysis is thrown out the window like a spent cigarette. Everything current has to be the best - at least until tomorrow when we fire out another disposable deliberation. Balance, consideration and perspective are as hard to find as truffles hidden on a Tuscan hillside.

It's tempting to think that six-in-a-row Scudetti for this Juventus side must automatically make it the best Bianconero team there has ever been. Nobody has ever achieved the feat, making it a strong fact in their favour. But there are other elements to the jigsaw that we have to piece together before we come to a serious conclusion. The Twitter generation may not have time for that.

First of all, we need to ask who their serious rivals are for such a prestigious accolade. Even in the trophy-heavy history of this club, there are few who could stand comparison with the lofty achievements reached under Antonio Conte first and now Massimiliano Allegri. In fact, there might be only three - the five-in-a-row side of the 1930s, Giovanni Trapattoni’s team of the late 1970s and early 1980s and Marcello Lippi’s gang from the 1990s and early 2000s. An honourable mention, too, for the Omar Sivori and John Charles inspired squad of the 1950s.

The pre-war outfit represents, probably, a stretch too far and even I am not old enough to have seen them play. Those were pioneering days of Calcio when honours and players are hard to stack up against their modern counterparts. A bit like Real Madrid’s early dominance of the European Cup, the feat is still remarkable, but I would not feel comfortable or qualified to call them the best ever.

Which gives us a straight three-way fight between Trap, Lippi and the current crop. And what a tussle that is. Even simply in silverware terms, they are a trio of incredible teams. Each side - if we take the bold Marcello’s two spells - delivered about a dozen major trophies to the already fit-to-burst cabinet back in Turin. It is only fair to point out, however, that there was no Italian Super Cup back in the 1970s and that particular Juve side would surely have won a few of those.

In terms of win percentages, there is a clear edge to Conte and Allegri’s men - their ratio of victories is the highest by some margin. It is a mark in their credit box but also, surely, a comment on the quality of the opposition. Italian football, in general, has been in much ruder health in times gone by than it is at present. That is not meant as criticism of this team, they can only beat what is in front of them, but it has to be taken into account when weighing up their achievements.

Player for player, it feels like comparing three of the finest dishes ever served and is largely a matter of taste. Trap produced one of the greatest defences the global game has ever seen, starting at a time when no foreign imports were allowed in Italy before adding superstars like Zibi Boniek and Michel Platini.

Lippi’s team might have been one of the most hard-working, never-say-die outfits to have graced the turf with the sprinkle of skills provided by Alex Del Piero and Zinedine Zidane. Today’s side boasts similar grinta and robust defensive qualities allied with Paulo Dybala’s delightful dancing feet. How blessed La Vecchia Signora’s fans have been.

All this to say that you could put the three teams on the podium in any order, depending on your personal preferences. But the European dimension still leaves me thinking that, for the time being, Allegri’s men are only in bronze medal position.

Lippi’s team were Champions League Final regulars, winning one and taking a European Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup. Across his decade, Trapattoni won all three continental crowns, plus a Super Cup and Intercontinental trophy.

You might well disagree and prefer them already but, in my view, only with a win over Real Madrid next month could you convincingly argue that Juventini have never had it so good.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Great Juve teams always had the grinta and the defensive organisation but this is probably the most 'technical' Juve I've seen.

The calmness in possession, able to work the ball in tight spaces, those Dybala-Dani Alves combinational plays has massively improved Juve going forward.

The 2015 team for example was just built to hit teams on the break but this lineup is certainly a more dynamic starting eleven, one that can defend deep when required but also just as easily go forward and attack with flair with much more purpose and intent.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's tough to compare to sides of olds, especially going back to teams like the 30s and 50s, but if we were to win the CL this team could have a strong claim for top 3.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
It's tough to compare to sides of olds, especially going back to teams like the 30s and 50s, but if we were to win the CL this team could have a strong claim for top 3.
The 2005 side was stronger we just did fuck all with it. Juventus in the 80's with Platini, before that with scirea, boniperti etc.

This is a helluva side though

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The players don't even believe that.

Besides, we are not talking about a side from one calendar years, it's over a small period.

Tell me, who was the better side, Juve 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98 or 1998-99?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 176)