PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
What the fuck happened to Witsel? Lool that was embarassing for Marotta.

Anyway, not a big deal. Cuadrado was a much more important signing.

Now midfield will be a very tough issue. The bright side is that we'll have some time to see how Marchisio comes back.

Now I sincerely hope Marotta actually buys fucking quality for the CM department in january. No fucking Witsel for 8M.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
What the fuck happened to Witsel? Lool that was embarassing for Marotta.

Anyway, not a big deal. Cuadrado was a much more important signing.

Now midfield will be a very tough issue. The bright side is that we'll have some time to see how Marchisio comes back.

Now I sincerely hope Marotta actually buys fucking quality for the CM department in january. No fucking Witsel for 8M.
We are not buying quailty in January, as we are not in the burning money business.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Marotta left it late with Witsel because that is what you do when you call your Plan D at 3 AM.

Witsel was not a top choice signing so how could we expect him to be signed any sooner? He's basically a luxury, depth signing that is nice to have but we weren't going to get bent over for the transfer fee and it's smarter to wait out Zenit and just take him for free.

With Cuadrado back in the fold, we have the option to play a 2 man midfield now.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I cant help but think that sometimes marotta must be a terrible negotiator when it comes to buying players who aren't running out on their contract or have a release clause. Witsel or not it is embarrassing how late we leave things, it was no secret that marotta wanted 1 more CM and he never arrived, he had more than sufficient time to bring one in especially if he knew Pogba was leaving some time ago, and dont even try and justify Pjanic being his replacement - The fact marotta admitted that they didn't need to sell Pogba to bring Higuain who arrived after Pjanic proves this. Did we really need cuadrado? I can't help but think we should have used our time better to find that elusive MC rather than bring back cuadrado who is nothing more than a luxury player

- - - Updated - - -

Marotta left it late with Witsel because that is what you do when you call your Plan D at 3 AM.

Witsel was not a top choice signing so how could we expect him to be signed any sooner? He's basically a luxury, depth signing that is nice to have but we weren't going to get bent over for the transfer fee and it's smarter to wait out Zenit and just take him for free.

With Cuadrado back in the fold, we have the option to play a 2 man midfield now.
I dont think it was the fee itself that was the issue, i think it was more to do with the fact that we left it so late that it gave zenit no time to find a replacement. i wouldn't be surprised if we returned in January with a lower offer for Zenit (take it or leave it) otherwise we bring him for free in the summer like we did with Llorente

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
:touched:He he, its touching, i m touched...
All those dissapointments, so many mistakes after mistakes, so many things neglected for far too long.
But in the end he did it, the crazy eyed ol son of a Moggi finally did it!
I never thought it would actually happen, but when it did, i didnt hesitate, not even for a second, he has my full support regardless of what happens in the soon, because i ve always thought that when the season starts, the transfer director's duty ends!
His job is done and its up to the coach and the players to perform from there.
Marotta has provided us with the tools to win the big ear cup, he has done the best any transfer director could have done!
It is the brightest moment of his career and not only for him, but also for what Juve stands for, in the postcalciopoli era!
DAD :heart:

JuveID

Allegri and Beppe Mania
Feb 5, 2015
Basically our squad depth is AMAZING now. Almost perfect.

But our starting team - which is more important than depth - is yet to be analysed. It could be worse than last season, yes. But it could also be better.

Alves for Licht is a HUGE difference, this has been underrated here. Provides width from the only source the 352 allows - wingbacks. Alves has exceptional fitness and should be good to go for more 2 years.

Pogba for Pjanic is clearly a loss, as Pogba is unique. But it's hard to imagine a better realistic option for the position. And if Pjanic (who as Higuain has fame of disappearing when it matters) takes the next step, he can absolutely be one of the best or even the best creative CM in the world.

Morata (or Mandzu) for Higuain is in theory an improvement when it comes to goal scoring, but this has also yet to be confirmed, considering his horrible conditions even after 1 month of training.

And Marchisio is also kind of a wildcard - he is vital to our game and who knows which will be his conditions when he comes back from this injury. The guy will be 31 in january so we have to consider all possibilities. This is a position that should have been improved (or Khedira's), but it wasn't. Witsel doesn't strike, at first, as a guy good enough to be a starter of Juventus.

About Higuain - it's hard to approve or not his purchase now, because it needs a hard reflection on where 90M leads you in the market today. What players could we have got, for positions we can improve, and who are willing to come, we could have got? For example, James is not an option. The guy doesnt want to leave Madrid.

So from what I know from the players, I evaluate this mercato 8 out of 10.

But in hindsight, if all Marotta's bets work out, this can became a real 10. Or a 6, because there are ideas that couldn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

In the end, there are a few questionmarks that will define if we can mount a real challenge in Europe (winning Serie A is almost sure if these wildcards work, and very possible even if they don't):

The most important to me:

1 - Pjanic's adapting - if he manages to take the reigns of the midfield and be a constant threat and show improvement on his biggest issues - probably mental, as he's known to be inconstant and unreliable, and also defensively - he can be one of the best midfielders of the world. He has potential to make Pogba's loss less hard in the mid.

Also fundamental:

2 - Marchisio's recovery - if he comes back as the same player he were before the injury, we have ourselves a WC DM who will provide immense stability and defensive solidity to the team.

Now, other questionmarks who are important:

3 - Khedira's health - he's playing on top form now. He gives great consistency and balance to the team. But this question lost importance a bit, as Witsel may prove to be a decent backup and a similar player.

4 - Higuain's performance - I think he will be the player he was last season, but anyway. I'd like to see mobility, and not only poaching. He must regain real form and be able to actually run into defenders. Most importantly, he will have to show up in big CL times. He seems like a mature player now and I feel he will do well.

5 - Alves performance - to provide our quality on the right side. I'm confident he will.

Our wildcard is Pjaca. If he's a tremendous talent, he could actually force a place in the starting team, making it even more dangerous and aggressive.

So, basically:

- with the squad assembled, it is very, very likely we retain Serie A title. Only if everything goes absolutely wrong we could lose this.

- Regarding the Champions League, our starting team will make the difference. I.e, our best players will have to fit and show up. Mainly Pjanic to fit and Marchisio and Khedira to be healthy. This is the key to our season: the performance of these 3 guys. Only with things working out for them we will have a midfield good enough to reach CL highest phases. This, plus Higuain adaptability and mental issues in big games and Alves performance.

If everything goes well, we have enough to win Champions League, I'm pretty sure of that.
I still do not understand why people think pogba is better than pjanic.
He will be, but currently? Not yet.
If we talk about pjanic consistency and realibility, pogba also does not have it yet.
Just look how pogba played without one of khedira or marchisio.
Or how clueless pogba in 2 coppa italia final, he even did not do important thing in both matches.

What else does make pogba better than pjanic as midfielder?
Passing? Not
Set piece? Not
Vision? Not
Creativity? Not

Only phsyque and defensive aspect which pogba is better than pjanic.
Other else? Not really.

Do not get me wrong, pogba is great player. He will be one of 3 best player in the world. I just do not understand "pjanic is not as good as pogba" talk.

We talk about current situation, not how great paul pogba will be in the future.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
I cant help but think that sometimes marotta must be a terrible negotiator when it comes to buying players who aren't running out on their contract or have a release clause. Witsel or not it is embarrassing how late we leave things, it was no secret that marotta wanted 1 more CM and he never arrived, he had more than sufficient time to bring one in especially if he knew Pogba was leaving some time ago, and dont even try and justify Pjanic being his replacement - The fact marotta admitted that they didn't need to sell Pogba to bring Higuain who arrived after Pjanic proves this. Did we really need cuadrado? I can't help but think we should have used our time better to find that elusive MC rather than bring back cuadrado who is nothing more than a luxury player

- - - Updated - - -
Think it had more to do with Zenit not wanting to sell than Marotta waiting too long. I think the deal would have happened sooner had Zenit wanted to negotiate earlier?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I still do not understand why people think pogba is better than pjanic.
He will be, but currently? Not yet.
If we talk about pjanic consistency and realibility, pogba also does not have it yet.
Just look how pogba played without one of khedira or marchisio.
Or how clueless pogba in 2 coppa italia final, he even did not do important thing in both matches.

What else does make pogba better than pjanic as midfielder?
Passing? Not
Set piece? Not
Vision? Not
Creativity? Not

Only phsyque and defensive aspect which pogba is better than pjanic.
Other else? Not really.

Do not get me wrong, pogba is great player. He will be one of 3 best player in the world. I just do not understand "pjanic is not as good as pogba" talk.

We talk about current situation, not how great paul pogba will be in the future.
pogba is miles ahead of pjanic. Its not even a contest.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
pogba is miles ahead of pjanic. Its not even a contest.
I wouldn't say he miles ahead of Pjanic. Pjanic is able to control a game like Pogba can't.

I wouldn't say there is a big difference but obviously as they get older Pogba will keep getting better where as I dont see Pjanic improving as much as Pogba is able to.

Jun 6, 2015
I wouldn't say he miles ahead of Pjanic. Pjanic is able to control a game like Pogba can't.

I wouldn't say there is a big difference but obviously as they get older Pogba will keep getting better where as I dont see Pjanic improving as much as Pogba is able to.
It's really hard to compare them as they are completely different. Once we've seen Pjanic for a full season we can make some comparisons.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
I would label that as purchasing a top 5 striker from a title competitor.

Det er C.V Jørgensen - Costa del Sol :)
Same deal. Overpaying for quality, the same we will have to do if we want top class in january.

Klasse sang. Jeg har aldrig lagt mærke til den del. Måske fordi jeg altid har været bagstiv kl. 5 om morgenen når jeg har hørt den. However god humor....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)