[GER] Bundesliga 2014/2015 (76 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Well, that's probably because ever country but Germany allows foreign investors buying a club and using it as his toy.
There'll be loads of money invested and at some point there'll be some rivalries.

In Germany, there's the 50+1 rule which doesn't allow that(even though it's been tweaked for teams like Wolfsburg, Leverkusen or Hoffenheim, as well as Hannover and Hamburg) and a club like Bayern Munich, who'll buy everyone as soon as they reach a certain level of play.

Though, just wait a couple more years, cause as soon as Red Bull Leipzig(currently 3rd place in the 2nd Bundesliga) makes it to the Bundesliga, they'll go for it as the Red Bull owner already stated, that he wants to challenge Bayern.
That's not the point though I think.

In all other top countries, already before the influx of billionaire-teams, at least two top clubs with accompanying rivalries existed, except for Germany.

Sure there were times when Schalke was challenging, a time when Bayer was challenging and a time when Dortmund was challenging, but none have ever really be able to cement their place as a top team.

Black+White

Jul 5, 2014

In all other top countries, already before the influx of billionaire-teams, at least two top clubs with accompanying rivalries existed, except for Germany.

Sure there were times when Schalke was challenging, a time when Bayer was challenging and a time when Dortmund was challenging, but none have ever really be able to cement their place as a top team.
Schalke wasn't ever really challenging(besides that one year), as Bremen was a way tougher opponent.

The problem does start with that rule of 50+1, cause no other team can compete with Bayern Munich(40 years success, Telecom, Adidas, Audi etc.) financially.
And as soon as those teams become legit contenders, they'll lose their main guys to either Bayern(Ballack, Ze Roberto, Lucio, Götze, Lewandowski, Reus?) or one of the other top tier teams in Europe.

The Bundesliga is the only top league were the best team spends at least twice as much as their challenger.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

not just in top countries, everywhere there are at least two rivals... everywhere except Germany. Really odd.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Just read that City is offering reus 255.000 a week.. Would be nice if Bvb's best players would stop leaving for bayern every year..
There are weeks that I don't come to that number.
255.000/wk, not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Wolfsburg can do something cause I heard they are the richest after Bayern.
VW as sponsor helps I guess.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
I know Bayern are pissing the league, but it is quality to see the German kids coming through every team, breath of fresh air really.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Well, that's probably because ever country but Germany allows foreign investors buying a club and using it as his toy.
There'll be loads of money invested and at some point there'll be some rivalries.

In Germany, there's the 50+1 rule which doesn't allow that(even though it's been tweaked for teams like Wolfsburg, Leverkusen or Hoffenheim, as well as Hannover and Hamburg) and a club like Bayern Munich, who'll buy everyone as soon as they reach a certain level of play.

Though, just wait a couple more years, cause as soon as Red Bull Leipzig(currently 3rd place in the 2nd Bundesliga) makes it to the Bundesliga, they'll go for it as the Red Bull owner already stated, that he wants to challenge Bayern.
im surprised one of Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim or Leverkusen havent challenged Bayern yet. Wolfsburg is backed by VW, Hoffenheim by Dietmar Hopp (they call him german Bill Gates, no?), they can afford expensive players and to keep them for a longer time. Leverkusen too, they are backed by Bayer (which is also a great company) AND they are in the BL for a long time (unlike Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim). they never won the league, only a DFB Pokal once and a UEFA Cup once. frustrating results for such a rich club (for BL standards). i guess the term "Vicekusen" isnt there for nothing :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I know Bayern are pissing the league, but it is quality to see the German kids coming through every team, breath of fresh air really.
It's a nice youth system and approach to young players that they have. Without either it falls flat, you either have young players of a lesser standard or talented players not getting a game. Italy is somewhere in-between.

If you think of the talent they already have in the national team then take a glance at the U21 selection it is pretty scary.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
It's a nice youth system and approach to young players that they have. Without either it falls flat, you either have young players of a lesser standard or talented players not getting a game. Italy is somewhere in-between.

If you think of the talent they already have in the national team then take a glance at the U21 selection it is pretty scary.
Yeah agreed, its great to see.

Why I love Italian footy so much too, loads of younger players get chances to develop.

Hate the Prem for the lack of young British lads getting chances.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Not as many as there should be, however. It's a problem for big clubs mostly. In the PL more teams have money across the board than any other league, by miles in fact, so they can all go out and spend £10m-£15m. In every other league that is not the case. But even in Germany, which is probably the second most affluent league if you look at an average across all clubs, they would rather give a kid a chance than spend that money. I think the issue then goes back to coaches and the talent level of young players.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
Not as many as there should be, however. It's a problem for big clubs mostly. In the PL more teams have money across the board than any other league, by miles in fact, so they can all go out and spend £10m-£15m. In every other league that is not the case. But even in Germany, which is probably the second most affluent league if you look at an average across all clubs, they would rather give a kid a chance than spend that money. I think the issue then goes back to coaches and the talent level of young players.
Spot on.

All the money in the prem, kind of makes the actual quality worse imo.

The top sides apart, smaller clubs spending big money and poor foreign players.

Black+White

Jul 5, 2014
im surprised one of Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim or Leverkusen havent challenged Bayern yet. Wolfsburg is backed by VW, Hoffenheim by Dietmar Hopp (they call him german Bill Gates, no?), they can afford expensive players and to keep them for a longer time. Leverkusen too, they are backed by Bayer (which is also a great company) AND they are in the BL for a long time (unlike Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim). they never won the league, only a DFB Pokal once and a UEFA Cup once. frustrating results for such a rich club (for BL standards). i guess the term "Vicekusen" isnt there for nothing :D
Well, Wolfsburg won the league in 2009 but since then had managers(especially Magath) that didn't know what the heck they were doing.
So even with all that money, they never were able to sustain any success.
Though, now they have Klaus Alloffs(former manager at Bremen, during their run of success) at the helm and are using that money with at least some kind of a plan.

Hoffenheim want to go young all the time and even though Hopp's got all the money in the world, he actually wants them to be profitable and be able to survive without him pouring in money left and right.
Also, they've got next to no fan support(they're close to Kaiserslautern, Karlsruhe, Mainz etc.) and during last weeks german cup game they had 7,000 people in the stands.

Bayer had a good run in the early 2000's but they lost all their good players(Ballack, Ze Roberto, Lucio etc.) to Bayern and couldn't sustain it.
They also can't spend that freely anymore, as Bayer's not backing them with a lot of money(compared to investors in England etc.) these days.

Well, every one of those 36 clubs of the first and second Bundesliga is required to have an academy of a certain level, if they want to get the licence for the league.

So everyone's paying quite a bit for their youth development and you might as well use that to develop players for your first team.

Also, there's just not that much money floating around and therefore a lot of teams will play their youngsters given that this is the best chance of having a really good player on your squad that can A) Help you and B) make a nice profit later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 76)