[GER] Bundesliga 2004/05 (5 Viewers)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Reds Sign Young German Stopper

Manchester United have completed the signing of 16-year-old goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler from FC Cologne.

Zieler arrived at Carrington on Friday afternoon with his parents to sign scholarship forms with the Reds.

Les Kershaw is Academy Director at Manchester United, and he explained to this website the process for bringing Zieler to the club.

"We have a scout based in Germany called Peter Braund," explains Kershaw. "Peter watched him play and recommended the boy to the club.

"He was then watched by our goalkeeping coaches and FC Cologne allowed him to come here for a period of assessment.

"We liked what we saw," Kershaw told ManUtd.com. "He will join us this summer, on 1 July. It's a scholarship scheme - the scheme offered to all 16-year-old boys who come to the club."

The signing of the highly-rated teenager from Bundesliga club FC Cologne is further evidence of the United's policy of throwing the net further afield to attract young talent.

The Reds made the summer capture of 18-year-olds Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi from Barcelona and Parma respectively.

Report by Ben Hibbs.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
He has a better chance of becoming a better player at Man Utd, no offense to Cologne, but there are better coaches at Utd.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Er...Podolski is another one who is linked with us...

Dan, I take it your a Cologne fan? I'm surprised Podolski stayed, especially after the end of last season, did no-one want Lukas???

Have you ever seen the goalkeeper we signed, is he any good???

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
I live in cologne, by default im a colongne fan.

Poldi has stated he will not leave FC Koln if they make it up to the 1. Bundesliga this time. If they dont, he will leave to whoever wants him. Sure hope he stays. He kicks the stuffing out of rooney.

I have never seen the goalkeeper, but i have also never seen many failures come out of the youth team.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
He's very good, I though it was a mistake by Voeller to play Bobic instead of him, he should of at least gave him a chance...

Well, good look to FC Koln...

(Forgive my ignorance...but is there 2 teams...Cologne and FC Koln???)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
He's very good, I though it was a mistake by Voeller to play Bobic instead of him, he should of at least gave him a chance...

Well, good look to FC Koln...

(Forgive my ignorance...but is there 2 teams...Cologne and FC Koln???)
No, they are the same. Colonge is the english way of saying it, FC Koln is the german way of saying it. We also have a crappy team called 'Fortuna Koln' but they are about 5 leagues down and no one gives a flying **** about them

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, interest from all over the world. This kid is just amazing.

Currently, Koln are one point behind the top with a game in hand :D and about 8 points off the place where you would not get promoted.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Well, my guess is as good as yours. I hope they will go up, but then again they could stay down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)