General TV (15 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What are your top 5 shows guys?
Hmmm... as a full series? OK, off the top of my head...

Let's start with a drama / comedy split since there's so many to choose from:

Drama
The Wire
The Sopranos
Gomorrah
Better Call Saul (slight edge over Breaking Bad even)
Mad Men

Honorable Mentions/Deep Cuts:
My Brilliant Friend (yes, chick flicks!)
Utopia (UK version)

Comedy
Coupling
Louie
The IT Crowd
Atlanta
Happy Endings (a deep cut, but it put Friends to shame)

Freaks and Geeks
The Job
Superjail! (because I'm a SMF)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Coupling and Atlanta are friggin amazing Greg. For two very different reasons.

UK utopia is high high level, despite some slow episodes.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
The Wire though is the only major drama series that for some reason doesn't feel manufactured to me. Don't know why, but it feels that way. I've rewatched season 2 sometime ago and now I think it's my favorite now.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The Wire is PEAK natural storytelling drama in its purest form. David Simon is a meticolous and brilliant investigate journalist/writer/producer/director, just made it perfect all around home run show. It doesnt feel manufactured because theres serious grassroots based writing behind it. Used tons of real people from that city/communities as actors, and generally him and the other writers used to follow and report on it for long time before doing books/shows about it (the mini series The Corner was pre The Wire, other cops shows with similar themes too).

I made it my 3 top spots just to home in that point lol.

My real list:

1.The Wire.
2.Sopranos
3.Rome.
4.Battlestar Galactica.
5.Firely.
6. Gilmore Girls
7. Breaking Bad.
8. Lost.
9. Oz.
10. Atlanta.

This fairly random and quickly done, probably forgetting many I loved and havent seen in years, in general anything HBO hits home for me. But Wire, Rome, BSG, Firely are shows I rewatch entirely every few years, seen them half dozen times probably lol. a honourable mention to Entourage which I rewatched few times too, charming and its easily digestable dudebro show lol.

Last edited:

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Hmmm... as a full series? OK, off the top of my head...

Let's start with a drama / comedy split since there's so many to choose from:

Drama
The Wire
The Sopranos
Gomorrah
Better Call Saul (slight edge over Breaking Bad even)
Mad Men

My Brilliant Friend (yes, chick flicks!)
Utopia (UK version)

Comedy
Coupling
Louie
The IT Crowd
Atlanta
Happy Endings (a deep cut, but it put Friends to shame)

Freaks and Geeks
The Job
Superjail! (because I'm a SMF)
My Brilliant Friend is fantastic. I love that there's basically an entire episode about them walking under a bridge and back, and yet it's so layered and gripping. I should probably read the books.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
So I've just finished Romulus season 1 and I can now 100% recommend it. I love how the story is told.

You start the story with 2 brothers. Naturally you think "oh so that's Romulus nad Remus". But then at the end of episode 1 one of them is killed. Later you get introduced to a slave who is a 100% pussy with no balls or witts. The story then is pretty accurate in portraying two strangers (1 of the brothers and the slave) forming a brotherly bond and both learning how to be rulers of their people. You think "oh so they are actually Romulus and Remus". But here's the smart think the creators did. The names of these guys are Yemos and Viros. So now you know that they are obviously the raised by wolves "twins". But the season ends and you have no idea who is the future king of Rome, and who is the brother that gets killed.

Pretty good story telling in my opinion and I'm waiting for season 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)