General TV (20 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I could said the isles, UK, whatever other distinction (not just Irish, because rarely seen specifically just irish comedy), but face it, you arent brit, you for sure have the same frigging culture and basically infused with them, that includes comedy.
I agree, the one thing most disappointing about Father Ted was how, despite being Irish, didn't have almost any distinguishing cultural features that would tell me "this is definitely Irish".

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I agree, the one thing most disappointing about Father Ted was how, despite being Irish, didn't have almost any distinguishing cultural features that would tell me "this is definitely Irish".
How about the irish accents, irish actors, constant referencing to ireland and the irish, the gaelic themed title music?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
so you like cynical humour? have you seen much zero punctuation? Martin do you really find irish accents similar to english accents?
Take Father Ted. Now tell me, how different is that accent from say the Australian accent? Or an American accent? Or a Scottish accent. It's almost no different, relatively speaking. That's what I meant.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm a (casual) gamer, and like (cynical) humour, but didnt like this at all, based on their Call of Duty MW2 clip, meeeh and bit much.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
then i dont get what you mean, you just listed a load of english speaking coutntries and told me you couldnt tell the difference.
Oh ffs. I said the Irish accent I heard on that show was way less distinguished from an English accent, let's say Tony Blair okay, than a Scottish, Australian, American accent is. How are you not getting this?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
In fairness, it was made by Channel 4, even if the writers and cast were Irish.

Martin, it was distinctively Irish. It's just the difference between Irish and British isn't all that huge to someone from further afield.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Irish accent was so close to English though.

Take Father Ted. Now tell me, how different is that accent from say the Australian accent? Or an American accent? Or a Scottish accent. It's almost no different, relatively speaking. That's what I meant.
Martin, you are a very intelligent person, but that is as retarded as saying that French and German accents are the same or Germans or Poles. If you are ignorant of the nuance, everything is the same.

Irish accents are different, but not that different.
Have you been to both countries? I doubt it.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Oh ffs. I said the Irish accent I heard on that show was way less distinguished from an English accent, let's say Tony Blair okay, than a Scottish, Australian, American accent is. How are you not getting this?
I get what you are saying now, but what you said a few posts back it the opposite to what you just said, unless iv still got you wrong. Are you saying the irish accent is similar the english accent (i dont know which of the 30 or so accents you are talking about) in comparison to the scottish and australian etc.etc.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Martin, you are a very intelligent person, but that is as retarded as saying that French and German accents are the same or Germans or Poles. If you are ignorant of the nuance, everything is the same.

Have you been to both countries? I doubt it.
I NEVER SAID IT WAS THE SAME

god save me from these people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)