General News & Politics (19 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Meh. For me that depends on where this goes after the occupation is ended… They are attempting to force them to leave without this turning too ugly and violent. Temporarily freezing accounts that are receiving outside funding until they leave doesn’t really bother me. Giving them astronomical fines doesn’t bother me. The Emergency act and these powers are temporary. If I see them lengthened and/or peoples’ bank accounts frozen permanently that’s a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

I did read the thread. I have zero issue with freezing accounts of people actively participating in or financing illegal acts. I’d have zero problem if it had happened to BLM and Antifa prior. And no, I don’t see people being “permanently unbanked” like he blathers on about. They are temporarily freezing accounts funding illegal acts and blockades costing the country billions, and doing so with an emergency act that will end shortly. This isn’t something permanently enshrined in law now. It’s a temporary measure for 30 days to deal with this shit. And he’s speaking a bunch of bullshit about the city/province handling it alone, both have repeatedly requested that the federal government and rcmp help end this.
Gotcha. I didn't really want to discuss specifically what was happening in Canada but the act of unbanking people without due process. Not saying that has happened in Canada but it's something we need to watch out for. It will become easier for governments around the world to do with the phasing out of cash.

Guy says he's against tax evasion and is a crypto enthusiast. :D Crypto wasnt designed to avoid tax, but with the taxman generally powerless in the cryptoverse, how many of crypto enthusiasts do pay taxes when its essentially a voluntary action? Maybe 1%? + some criminals, who're scared to be Al Capone'd.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar's :p

If the taxman is unable to enforce taxation on crypto then it's not tax evasion imo

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Didn’t get teargassed, didn’t get pepper sprayed, didn’t get beat up. Were allowed to occupy and shut down the downtown of the nation’s capital for three weeks, harass residents, blare air horns through the night before facing even the slightest consequence. Such lack of freedom, much dictatorship, so authoritarian against these poor poor oppressed folk, this is the end of Canadian democracy! :lol:

Freedumb idiots. Truly a bunch of dunces.

These adult babies would literally be having an aneurysm and act like the most oppressed people on this planet if they were treated the way peaceful protestors at Fairy Creek, at APEC, and at various other protests here were treated by the RCMP. Hope they enjoy a night or two in jail while awaiting bail hearings lol

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
Didn’t get teargassed, didn’t get pepper sprayed, didn’t get beat up. Were allowed to occupy and shut down the downtown of the nation’s capital for three weeks, harass residents, blare air horns through the night before facing even the slightest consequence. Such lack of freedom, much dictatorship, so authoritarian against these poor poor oppressed folk, this is the end of Canadian democracy! :lol:

Freedumb idiots. Truly a bunch of dunces.

These adult babies would literally be having an aneurysm and act like the most oppressed people on this planet if they were treated the way peaceful protestors at Fairy Creek, at APEC, and at various other protests here were treated by the RCMP. Hope they enjoy a night or two in jail while awaiting bail hearings lol
I guess Canada was having it easy but where I live I have witnessed more than 10 major protests, many of them lasting more than 3 months with regular blockades in the capital. I work in the university and during one of the protests my workplace was occupied for two months by students. I have seen 3 times a government being overthrown, at one time the public went into the the Parliament while throwing bricks at the officials.

I'm glad that this happened because our governing elite is a very corrupt bunch and this fear from a literal fight with the public is keeping them in check a bit. If the public wasn't able to overthrow all the shitty corrupted politicians - we would have a thugs dictatorship. Our last prime minister was literally a thug. There are pictures from one of his mistresses of his bedroom :lol: :

5D6216B8-BE58-46F3-8992-C40F92B7B655_fit-gallery_slider.jpg

I see that you are very confident in your system but this is a very dangerous precedent and as a citizen of a former soviet satellite state I can tell you that the civil rights are very easy to lose and very difficult to gain.

I hope I'm the stupid paranoid moron and you are the correct one in this case.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I guess Canada was having it easy but where I live I have witnessed more than 10 major protests, many of them lasting more than 3 months with regular blockades in the capital. I work in the university and during one of the protests my workplace was occupied for two months by students. I have seen 3 times a government being overthrown, at one time the public went into the the Parliament while throwing bricks at the officials.

I'm glad that this happened because our governing elite is a very corrupt bunch and this fear from a literal fight with the public is keeping them in check a bit. If the public wasn't able to overthrow all the shitty corrupted politicians - we would have a thugs dictatorship. Our last prime minister was literally a thug. There are pictures from one of his mistresses of his bedroom :lol: :

5D6216B8-BE58-46F3-8992-C40F92B7B655_fit-gallery_slider.jpg

I see that you are very confident in your system but this is a very dangerous precedent and as a citizen of a former soviet satellite state I can tell you that the civil rights are very easy to lose and very difficult to gain.

I hope I'm the stupid paranoid moron and you are correct one in this case.
I’m very confident that our system of government has corruption in it, but is far better than the alternative that these inbred redneck hillbillies want. While these dunces tried to erase it from their demands and claim it was never a part of their demands when they showed up they were demanding resignation of a government democratically elected just months ago, and replacement by our unelected Governor General, our unelected senate, and a group of unelected citizens from their ranks. And while you and I may dislike mandates and measures and think it’s time to move on, a significant majority of Canadians support them, shown by both the results of the last election and public opinion polling. The latter shows that some ~70 percent of Canadians agreed with using the emergency act and using police/force to end the occupation and blockade of Ottawa and ~70% disapprove of the protestors, their methods, and what they want.

Now you can argue about precedents and the like. While ignoring that peaceful protests by students, young environmentalists, human rights protestors, etc have been quelled far more violently multiple times over the last couple decades here. This was allowed to go on for three weeks without consequence, unlike previous protests and is being ended mostly peacefully. During Trudeau’s period as Prime Minister we’ve actually risen up the rankings of the right leaning libertarian Cato Institute’s Human Freedom Index, from 9th to 6th (America conversely fell in these rankings under Trump and his brand of “freedom”). I dislike Trudeau, the guy is a smug twat, and he’s wildly unpopular here (amusingly enough for very different reasons on the far left and right).

I think there is definitely corruption and shady shit going on. Could our system be improved? Yes. Certainly. Is it a pretty good system giving us a shit ton of freedom while also maintaining law and order, not allowing lawlessness and chaos, and having free and Democratic elections every few years? Yes. Trudeau just called an election last year to attempt to gain a majority when polling was favourable to him but Canadians saw through this and instead left him with minority government once again forcing him to work with other parties in parliament to pass legislation.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I’m very confident that our system of government has corruption in it, but is far better than the alternative that these inbred redneck hillbillies want. While these dunces tried to erase it from their demands and claim it was never a part of their demands when they showed up they were demanding resignation of a government democratically elected just months ago, and replacement by our unelected Governor General, our unelected senate, and a group of unelected citizens from their ranks. And while you and I may dislike mandates and measures and think it’s time to move on, a significant majority of Canadians support them, shown by both the results of the last election and public opinion polling. The latter shows that some ~70 percent of Canadians agreed with using the emergency act and using police/force to end the occupation and blockade of Ottawa and ~70% disapprove of the protestors, their methods, and what they want.

Now you can argue about precedents and the like. While ignoring that peaceful protests by students, young environmentalists, human rights protestors, etc have been quelled far more violently multiple times over the last couple decades here. This was allowed to go on for three weeks without consequence, unlike previous protests and is being ended mostly peacefully. During Trudeau’s period as Prime Minister we’ve actually risen up the rankings of the right leaning libertarian Cato Institute’s Human Freedom Index, from 9th to 6th (America conversely fell in these rankings under Trump and his brand of “freedom”). I dislike Trudeau, the guy is a smug twat, and he’s wildly unpopular here (amusingly enough for very different reasons on the far left and right). I think there is definitely corruption and shady shit going on. Could our system be improved? Yes. Certainly. Is it a pretty good system giving us a shit ton of freedom while also maintaining law and order, not allowing lawlessness and chaos, and having free and Democratic elections every few years? Yes.
Why didn't they end these protests the way they did others before but decided to implement the Emergency Act instead?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Why didn't they end these protests the way they did others before but decided to implement the Emergency Act instead?
Because the city and province showed they clearly couldn’t handle this on their own. This allowed the federal government to step in and help. And the emergency act allowed them to use non-violent measures to incentivize the occupiers here leaving. All these other protests were also quelled immediately with police action or the attempt was made (Fairy Creek lol). This was a three week occupation and shut down of a city. And rather than use things like tear gas and pepper spray and riot police beating up and arresting people, they used the emergency act and the temporary punitive financial measures and fines and the like to incentivize leaving and restrict all access for new protestors trying to come into the downtown core, to allow the police to deal with a modest crowd of entrenched protestors and arrest them mostly peacefully. Not sure how the end of this is seen as anything but a win. And that’s thanks in large part to how it wasn’t allowed to grow in size again. What most Canadians are annoyed about is that it was allowed to get to this point in the first place. Should have been dealt with two weeks ago after it was clear they weren’t leaving. 65-70% of Canadians support the use of the Emergency Act, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Any footage of the children being used as shields?
Not literally a shield. Just placing them between the protest areas and the police attempting to end it. Lol

The fact people took their children to occupy a city and blockade border crossings and the like is just super disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Protestors also been arrested here with smoke grenades, fireworks, and body armour. Chemical irritants been used against police. “Peaceful” protest lol

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
While these dunces tried to erase it from their demands and claim it was never a part of their demands when they showed up they were demanding resignation of a government democratically elected just months ago, and replacement by our unelected Governor General, our unelected senate, and a group of unelected citizens from their ranks.
I just want to point out that in a protest with more than a 100 people it's normal to have many different demands, some of which borderline outrageous. Thanks for the great explanation.

Compared to the protests I have seen this truck convoy looks like a picnic. I'm surprised that Canadians are that angry at them. The only protests that annoy me are from the far right neo nazis or some other far right nationalistic groups. But they are much smaller than the regular ones.

Don't be mad at me but I'll support the truckers until the end (or until they become violent). :stuckup:

- - - Updated - - -

Protestors also been arrested here with smoke grenades, fireworks, and body armour. Chemical irritants been used against police. “Peaceful” protest lol
Our government was caught in trying to blackmail the protests with hired violent infiltrators.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I just want to point out that in a protest with more than a 100 people it's normal to have many different demands, some of which borderline outrageous. Thanks for the great explanation.

Compared to the protests I have seen this truck convoy looks like a picnic. I'm surprised that Canadians are that angry at them. The only protests that annoy me are from the far right neo nazis or some other far right nationalistic groups. But they are much smaller than the regular ones.

Don't be mad at me but I'll support the truckers until the end (or until they become violent). :stuckup:

- - - Updated - - -

Our government was caught in trying to blackmail the protests with hired violent infiltrators.
Yeah, this isn’t happening here. And there is no evidence at all for it. They also arrested and charged multiple people who had a large stockpile of assault weapons and high capacity magazines at the Alberta Coutts border blockade with conspiracy to murder RCMP officers and civilians. There are a lot of deranged loonies who get involved in these “freedumb” protests. Just like the deranged loonies who riot and loot alongside the BLM protests. Multiple right wing loonies have called for violence against cops and elected officials in Ottawa. Thankfully those people are a very fringe minority.

Canadians aren’t particularly angry at them. Mostly think their idiots who are not at all representative of Canada, it’s values, and what the majority here support. You are welcome to support them, but you are also at odds with what the vast majority support here. This is how democracy and free elections work. If these protests were representative of the majority the government would not survive because their minority would face a non-confidence vote in parliament, government would be dissolved and a new election called. Instead, the protests are backfiring badly, and garnering the government and the mandates more support. So support them all you want, but in this country what they’re doing is hurting their cause.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Btw. Looks like Austria might dump the mandatory vaccination more or less before it even kicks in.

Would be a nice fuck you towards our politicians as well who have them as role model for whatever reason.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Let's not forget that in the 60s in the US the democratic majority supported racist segregation. People should be allowed to voice their discontent even if they are a minority.
No one is saying they shouldn’t be allowed. I’m pretty sure that here that doesn’t including occupying and shutting down the downtown of the capital for three weeks. They are hurting businesses, harassing residents and making their lives shitty and stressful, and breaking numerous laws and bylaws while doing so. Same deal with blockading critical infrastructure and borders. Clowns. Have your protest for a weekend, make your point, clear off. Rinse and repeat if you want. But it’s not their right to have a three week occupation or week long blockade that costs billions.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
No one is saying they shouldn’t be allowed. I’m pretty sure that here that doesn’t including occupying and shutting down the downtown of the capital for three weeks. They are hurting businesses, harassing residents and making their lives shitty and stressful, and breaking numerous laws and bylaws while doing so. Same deal with blockading critical infrastructure and borders. Clowns. Have your protest for a weekend, make your point, clear off. Rinse and repeat if you want. But it’s not their right to have a three week occupation or week long blockade that costs billions.
This is why the truckers are dangerous and powerful. They can really hurt the pockets of everyone including the unreachable elites.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Because they literally shutting down small businesses all through Ottawa, and causing plants to scale back shifts and lay off workers that ship products across the border. Thankfully our government is setting up support for these small businesses in Ottawa that the trucker convoy has fucked over. There is nothing good about these morons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)