Gary Nevile's Juventus comments in his autobiography (1 Viewer)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Though you guys might be interested in what he had to say, just started reading this and not that far through it.

The previous year we’d been knocked out of the Uefa Cup in the first round by Rotor Volgograd. We might be champions of England but this wasn’t form to terrify the rest of the world, especially when in the autumn of 1996 we stumbled through the Champions League group stage. We lost the club’s 40-year unbeaten record at home, defeated by Fenerbahçe, and went down in both games to Juventus – the European champions, and one of the best teams I ever faced.

Juventus were unbelievably good, so big and powerful as well as packed with talent. Just standing in the tunnel next to them was intimidating. I’d never faced such a formidable team: Ferrara and Montero in defence, Deschamps, Conte and Zidane in midfield, and Del Piero with two big and dangerous strikers in Boksic and Vieri. Big names, big players, in every respect. We lost 1–0 to them in Turin, but it could have been 10–0. It was the biggest battering I’ve ever had on a football pitch. They took us to school, boys against men. We didn’t have a proper chance in the whole match. Manchester United played ninety minutes without a shot, without a sniff of a chance. It’s the only time that happened in my 602 games.

Del Piero was a class act, so sharp and elusive and intelligent. There’s a lot of thick footballers out there, players with huge talent when the ball’s at their feet but no real understanding of where to move or how best to link with their teammates. That is a criticism you’d never make of Zidane or Del Piero, and Juventus had both of them. These were the guys who made the Champions League such a massive test. They knew how to play and they were streetwise, too. They could handle themselves, and if anyone did have a go they had tough nuts like Montero to offer protection.
Even if you're not a United fan, its pretty interesting read.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Unfortunately, this is one for the history section. Today Juve inspires about as much fear and respect as Crazy Frog.

May 22, 2007
It's becoming hard to believe how scary our team was. Really cool to read it from an opposition player, I think everyone has seen that video of his reaction to drawing us in the CL.

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    From a pure footballing view, definitely.

But Barcelona don't make you fear playing against them.

The only fear I have when my team plays Barca is that Busquets will get someone sent off by rolling on the ground.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    From a pure footballing view, definitely.

But Barcelona don't make you fear playing against them.
    lol so they only scare you from a "footballing view"? What else matters during a foobtall match?

Are you talking about how ugly the English players are?

ThirdStar

You know it's comin'
    Jul 5, 2011
    That was the Juve I loved back then.. People shit their pants when they see us.

Now we have Motta and Amauri

What the fuck went wrong ? .. Oh yeah.. Inter the faggots and Calciopoli.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)