Game of Thrones [TV, not the book, no spoilers!] (10 Viewers)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
The only thing I really wonder about is how did Olenna even get to Highgarden. It's literally on the other side of the continent compared to Dragonstone.
She left Dragonstone last episode and considering Jon could reach Dragonstone from Winterfell within the same timeframe I consider Olenna's journey legit. BUT how could Euron sail around the entire continent without getting spotted by adjacent allies of Dany (Dorne, Tyrells) within like 15 minutes of show?

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
His evident naval skill and superiority reminds you more of Hamilcar Barca then the Romans. Tho how he was boarding the ships in night attack its similar to the Roman Corvus /siege boarding planks.

Carthage fucked themselves for being corrupt and apathetic to the war effort, tho Roman's were smart as heck in building, equipping and training for the war effort at all times (nonexistent to best navy in sheer will and effort). While the Barcas didn't get a lick of supplies and reinforcement from their government during first punic wars.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Same in the second too, thats why imo Hannibal is the greatest army general in history, more than Alexander or genghis khan. He did all he did without being the king/monarch of his nation, a truly great man.

- - - Updated - - -

She left Dragonstone last episode and considering Jon could reach Dragonstone from Winterfell within the same timeframe I consider Olenna's journey legit. BUT how could Euron sail around the entire continent without getting spotted by adjacent allies of Dany (Dorne, Tyrells) within like 15 minutes of show?
How are they supposed to spot him? Radar?

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
The problem is that Olenna would have to travel right through the centre of Cercei's lands to get to Highgarden easily. But honestly I feel like there are obvious time skips in the show that last from days to weeks which easily explain all of the transportation issues.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah I meant both wars (why I said Barcas, meant plural ), the first two (3rd was insignificant besides being killing blow). Both Hannibal and his father got screwed royally by their own in different ways.

I mean FFS Scipio Africanus tactic included avoiding to face Hannibal in Italy, go by sea to Carthage, attack there with the sole purpose that the corrupt and dumb Carthage senate would get scared and recall Hannibal instead of let him finish the job even with the no reinforcement supplies debacle after winning dozens of decisive battles. That was Roman's best general smartest plan, to rely on incompetent Carthagian political leadership to remove Hannibal from Italy for him (similar to how Hamilcar had to leave a sure victory to end mercenary war back home because his senate refused to pay their own army).

And yeah Hannibals only weakness was being born into the wrong empire.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
How are they supposed to spot him? Radar?
Outposts. It's a 1000 ships with black sails sailing close to land because of time pressure to intercept the unsullied fleet. But apparently Tyrells could establish their powerful everlasting house without having some guys looking out to the ocean and some other guys doing the same around their capital - you know, to avoid an entire lannister army from spawning at the capital's doorstep. How did Lannisters take Highgarden without siege engines and such btw? Tyrells could have defended it for ages, even if their other bannermen followed Randyll Tarly into betrayal.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Outposts. It's a 1000 ships with black sails sailing close to land because of time pressure to intercept the unsullied fleet. But apparently Tyrells could establish their powerful everlasting house without having some guys looking out to the ocean and some other guys doing the same around their capital - you know, to avoid an entire lannister army from spawning at the capital's doorstep
There are entire armies that have been wiped out for not having scouts, who in danys army is a general with experience to even suggest following the movements of the enemy? Also assuming euron will just sail to get spotted is just as unbelievable.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Outposts. It's a 1000 ships with black sails sailing close to land because of time pressure to intercept the unsullied fleet. But apparently Tyrells could establish their powerful everlasting house without having some guys looking out to the ocean and some other guys doing the same around their capital - you know, to avoid an entire lannister army from spawning at the capital's doorstep. How did Lannisters take Highgarden without siege engines and such btw? Tyrells could have defended it for ages, even if their other bannermen followed Randyll Tarly into betrayal.
Is Highgarden supposed to be unreachable fortress? I mean they can't all be right, Lannister army just better (and they not bothering to show the attack (they could just climbed the walls and taken it) . It was lazy time skipping, but the better army winning is not new. Olenna herself said warfare isn't their thing.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Is Highgarden supposed to be unreachable fortress? I mean they can't all be right, Lannister army just better (and they not bothering to show the attack (they could just climbed the walls and taken it) . It was lazy time skipping, but the better army winning is not new. Olenna herself said warfare isn't their thing.

I don't know - according to wiki it has three rings of walls and lots of towers. Going by rules that the genre in general and this show in particular have established it just hurts my sense of logic that a semi-army of Great House A can walk up to the fortified capital of Great House B and take it and it will be treated like a side event and regarded as normal. Teleporting greyjoy fleets aside, that is. I say they wrote Cersei into a too weak position in Season 6 and now correct it to even the field before S8 where Dany(the hero) will overcome the odds and win

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Why are the walkers taking so long?

Maybe they can't walk during the day or something. Plus, I'm not really sure where they're getting any energy from. I mean, sure. They're dead people driven by some magical force to serve a purpose which requires a lot of walking and energy expenditure. But this force cannot move them the way they do. You can clearly see the movements are very instant and there is no lag time which means there isn't any communication or transfer or force going on. These white walkers are clearly independent creatures who move on their own free will.

But there is so much energy that would go into that much walking. They need a lot of energy to cover that much ground, especially considering the weather and irregular surfaces they are marching across. Let's take for example The Wall. It is 300 miles long, according to wiki

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wall

Now, let's say they only have to walk the length of it. The reality is that they are marching from much further away. And how many walking dead are there? I can find no answer to that. The image below is the most official thing I could find regarding the amount of zombies in the army.

So let's go with a conservative estimate of 500,000. That would be about five of Penn State's football stadium and that seemed like a lot of people at once. Let's go with an average of 180lbs per person. I know the people in there are mostly bony but this takes into account the three giant motherfuckers in the army. Anyways, the average 180lbs person burns 100 calories per mile by walking. That seems kinda low, keep that in mind ladies and gents. Weight isn't lost in the gym, it's lost in the kitchen.

But these guys don't have all the functioning organs and abiities of a full human. So let's go with 50 calories a mile. So then, the amount of calories(50), times the amount of people (500,000) equals 25 million calories! Per mile. 25 million times 300 miles equals 7.5 billion calories. For this army just to walk across the wall. Now to feed that many mouths, you would need a shitload of food. I was trying to look up the caloric amounts for an entire cow and according to myfitnesspal, they're pretty low.

I don't believe that estimate so more research led to me finding out the average percentage of usable meat you get from a cow (http://www.meatchris.com/blog/2012/6/1/how-much-meat-will-i-take-home.html) and to the average amount a cow weighs, which google says is 1,600 lbs for female cattle. So given the percentages in the table at the first link, we get (1,600*.61)*.67 = 654 lbs. There are 1,137 calories per pound in beef. That means 617,391 calories per cow in usable meat.

So that means to feed that army for the duration of the walk, you would need (7,500,000,000 divided by 617,391) = 11,338 fully grown cows by FDA/USDA standards. The average length of said cow seems to be a little over two meters judging by the pic below.

http://rubber-cow-mat.com/hp5906/Wide-cubicles.htm

Let's go with 2 meters to make this easy. 300 miles is pretty much 500 kilometers, aka 500,000 meters And from the numbers above, we have 11,338 cows. That is a cow every 45 meters. Does that sound reasonable? I do not know. But I feel like that is a lot of cows. And keep in mind, this is for only 500,000 people which was a pretty conservative estimate from me. There are more likely millions in the army.

Now my question is, where are all these fucking cows coming from? There is no way there would be that many of them north of the Wall. The terrafirma seems very harsh and the weather even more so.

I just don't buy it!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, so the original question was why are the walkers taking so long. Because due to the lack of cows or calories available, they most likely have to hunt while they march. They don't have any food reserves that they can bring along.

Attachments

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

Maybe they can't walk during the day or something. Plus, I'm not really sure where they're getting any energy from. I mean, sure. They're dead people driven by some magical force to serve a purpose which requires a lot of walking and energy expenditure. But this force cannot move them the way they do. You can clearly see the movements are very instant and there is no lag time which means there isn't any communication or transfer or force going on. These white walkers are clearly independent creatures who move on their own free will.

But there is so much energy that would go into that much walking. They need a lot of energy to cover that much ground, especially considering the weather and irregular surfaces they are marching across. Let's take for example The Wall. It is 300 miles long, according to wiki

Now, let's say they only have to walk the length of it. The reality is that they are marching from much further away. And how many walking dead are there? I can find no answer to that. The image below is the most official thing I could find regarding the amount of zombies in the army.

So let's go with a conservative estimate of 500,000. That would be about five of Penn State's football stadium and that seemed like a lot of people at once. Let's go with an average of 180lbs per person. I know the people in there are mostly bony but this takes into account the three giant motherfuckers in the army. Anyways, the average 180lbs person burns 100 calories per mile by walking. That seems kinda low, keep that in mind ladies and gents. Weight isn't lost in the gym, it's lost in the kitchen.

But these guys don't have all the functioning organs and abiities of a full human. So let's go with 50 calories a mile. So then, the amount of calories(50), times the amount of people (500,000) equals 25 million calories! Per mile. 25 million times 300 miles equals 7.5 billion calories. For this army just to walk across the wall. Now to feed that many mouths, you would need a shitload of food. I was trying to look up the caloric amounts for an entire cow and according to myfitnesspal, they're pretty low.

I don't believe that estimate so more research led to me finding out the average percentage of usable meat you get from a cow (http://www.meatchris.com/blog/2012/6/1/how-much-meat-will-i-take-home.html) and to the average amount a cow weighs, which google says is 1,600 lbs for female cattle. So given the percentages in the table at the first link, we get (1,600*.61)*.67 = 654 lbs. There are 1,137 calories per pound in beef. That means 617,391 calories per cow in usable meat.

So that means to feed that army for the duration of the walk, you would need (7,500,000,000 divided by 617,391) = 11,338 fully grown cows by FDA/USDA standards. The average length of said cow seems to be a little over two meters judging by the pic below.

Let's go with 2 meters to make this easy. 300 miles is pretty much 500 kilometers, aka 500,000 meters And from the numbers above, we have 11,338 cows. That is a cow every 45 meters. Does that sound reasonable? I do not know. But I feel like that is a lot of cows. And keep in mind, this is for only 500,000 people which was a pretty conservative estimate from me. There are more likely millions in the army.

Now my question is, where are all these fucking cows coming from? There is no way there would be that many of them north of the Wall. The terrafirma seems very harsh and the weather even more so.

I just don't buy it!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, so the original question was why are the walkers taking so long. Because due to the lack of cows or calories available, they most likely have to hunt while they march. They don't have any food reserves that they can bring along.

Goddammit :lol:

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

I just don't buy it!

- - - Updated - - -

You, sir, are a legend :lol2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)