Game of Thrones [TV, not the book, no spoilers!] (94 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
He made a point of it in the series in past season to defend his daughter to his wife and Melisandre that she is his rightful heir, when the dumbass bitch mother wanted to discard her. It seriously doesnt make sense to do that to his cherished daughter and only heir.
In his mind (and he was in all probability right with that), it's either sacrificing his daughter or losing for good this time. Which of course also means Westeros being overrun by the Walkers.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
He's convinced he's the only one able to stop the White Walkers, as King of course.

Watch his dialogue with Shireen before she gets burned, he doesn't even really want to become King anymore.
He is also the most fucking stubborn (at least was the most fucking stubborn) person in whole westeros . He gave up so quickly it's incredible . Plus where the fuck did his sense of justice go , he took the onion knight , but cut his fingers none the less . Now he doesn't care that killing a little innocent girl is the total contrary of justice .

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
But now he has no heir, and I think his taking the kingdom for his line is an important part of his mission.
Davos was more connected with his daughter. I don't think how much he counted on her taking his place as he even kept her away in the dungeon for a long time. The guy is even worse than me.

Also, he does seem like a guy who'd do everything to fulfill his destiny and do whatever it takes to get the throne. And he did exactly that. Plus, he seems obsessed with the red girl commanding him what to do for the same reason.

You're right when you say what his motivation is. But imo it's the greed that's making him do these moves in order to succeed.

- - - Updated - - -

He made a point of it in the series in past season to defend his daughter to his wife and Melisandre that she is his rightful heir, when the dumbass bitch mother wanted to discard her. It seriously doesnt make sense to do that to his cherished daughter and only heir.
Exactly. Now, if he does become king, the moment he's gone there's no Baratheon to take his place and so it will all descend into chaos again.
It's Melisandre who's doing all this.

It has nothing to do with Stannis taking the throne, nor his heir, but Melisandre.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Ofcourse she is manipulating that is obvious, but he THINKS this is necessary to get what he wants, when it isnt.
Why do you think that it isn't?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, he does seem like a guy who'd do everything to fulfill his destiny and do whatever it takes to get the throne. And he did exactly that. Plus, he seems obsessed with the red girl commanding him what to do for the same reason.
Exactly the opposite, he's been at conflict with her more often than not.

But everytime he acts against her advice, he and his army get fucked up badly.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
After reading the last few pages I am so glad I decided not to read the books. You guys focus 90% of you attention on what was changed when I can purely enjoy the story as it is in the show. And I've been enjoying this season as much as previous ones.

It would be nice if this thread could be free of all the "omg they did this instead of what was supposed to happen. Let me tell you what should have happened:
ass

So now you clearly see how inferior this show is to the Power Rangers."

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
After reading the last few pages I am so glad I decided not to read the books. You guys focus 90% of you attention on what was changed when I can purely enjoy the story as it is in the show. And I've been enjoying this season as much as previous ones.

It would be nice if this thread could be free of all the "omg they did this instead of what was supposed to happen. Let me tell you what should have happened:
ass

So now you clearly see how inferior this show is to the Power Rangers."
:tup:

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Melissandre has killed Renly and now Shireen as well,the bastard would probably had died as well had it not been for Davos..definitely some hidden agenda,maybe one of Lannisters,making sure no Baratheons are left..

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Melissandre has killed Renly and now Shireen as well,the bastard would probably had died as well had it not been for Davos..definitely some hidden agenda,maybe one of Lannisters,making sure no Baratheons are left..
I miss Tywin :cry: I wish there was a global player worth hating on. Dany and Stannis are pathetic. I don't like them, I don't hate them, I don't care what happens to them. Lennysters were class antagonists and Starks were great to root for

Sansa would have been perfect in filling the whole of a likable global player but Dumb&Dumber decided it's better to OMGAAWD LOOK RAEP! SUCH PROGRESSIVE SHOW :lol:

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Davos was more connected with his daughter. I don't think how much he counted on her taking his place as he even kept her away in the dungeon for a long time. The guy is even worse than me.

You're right when you say what his motivation is. But imo it's the greed that's making him do these moves in order to succeed.
He kept her locked up to keep her safe, though. What is his greed for? I don't think of Stannis as a greedy character at all, he is completely driven by whatever his sense of duty is.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He kept her locked up to keep her safe, though. What is his greed for? I don't think of Stannis as a greedy character at all, he is completely driven by whatever his sense of duty is.
Throne. You call it a duty. But he's willing to sacrifice his own daughter to accomplish his so-called duty. That looks pretty greedy to me.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Throne. You call it a duty. But he's willing to sacrifice his own daughter to accomplish his so-called duty. That looks pretty greedy to me.
But that's the problem I don't agree with, and that makes it non-characteristic. If the THRONE is his main concern, so is his lineage, and he wouldn't sacrifice that as then the throne would be for nothing. He says all the time that he doesn't want the crown, but it's his responsibility to have it.

Whoever it was above who said that his main drive was keeping out the Whitewalkers, and he sacrificed her for that, that makes more sense.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
:agree:

The thing about this argument is that he also has a duty torwards his family has he not . Isn't it a mans duty to protect his family ?

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Stannis is literally the opposite of greedy. Call him a fanatic for believing in the visions as much as to sacrifice everything to follow them (although I think he's got every reason to do so), but he's definitely not greedy.

But that's the problem I don't agree with, and that makes it non-characteristic. If the THRONE is his main concern, so is his lineage, and he wouldn't sacrifice that as then the throne would be for nothing. He says all the time that he doesn't want the crown, but it's his responsibility to have it.

Whoever it was above who said that his main drive was keeping out the Whitewalkers, and he sacrificed her for that, that makes more sense.
:tup:

- - - Updated - - -

:agree:

The thing about this argument is that he also has a duty torwards his family has he not . Isn't it a mans duty to protect his family ?
Also, he is unique in the regard that he doesn't value the lives of his family more than the lives of thousands of people. It goes against human and pretty much every cultural instinct, but as a ruler, he should be relatively objective about this matter. Killing Renly for example saved the lives of hundred soldiers in the battle that would've followed the night Renly died.

- - - Updated - - -

I miss Tywin :cry: I wish there was a global player worth hating on. Dany and Stannis are pathetic. I don't like them, I don't hate them, I don't care what happens to them. Lennysters were class antagonists and Starks were great to root for

Sansa would have been perfect in filling the whole of a likable global player but Dumb&Dumber decided it's better to OMGAAWD LOOK RAEP! SUCH PROGRESSIVE SHOW :lol:
Yeah, Tywin was a great character.

But I kinda like that it isn't as easy anymore to sort the characters into good and bad guys (although Starks & Lannisters weren't all black & white as well of course).

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
His family and all of Westeros are dead if he doesn't win against White Walkers though.
Doesn't change the fact that this goes against his duty . He has a duty to protect the people of westeros as long as that doesn't interfere with his duty to protect his family . If killing his family means defeating the walkers considering his portreyal he shouldn't do it . Doesn't mean that he would fail his duties of protecting the kingdom . He will still fight the white walkers and eventually die in the process if killing shireen was the only way to win .
Also, he is unique in the regard that he doesn't value the lives of his family more than the lives of thousands of people. It goes against human and pretty much every cultural instinct, but as a ruler, he should be relatively objective about this matter. Killing Renly for example saved the lives of hundred soldiers in the battle that would've followed the night Renly died.
Killing renly made sense because he was opposing him , that is treason . Shireen hasn't done anything to deserve her treatment . Stannis has been characterized as just above all . Objectively speaking it is not just to kill an innocent girl for any reason .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)