[Friendly] Manchester United - Juventus (August 6th, 2008) (1 Viewer)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Guys, forget about Chiellini going back to LB, it's not gonna happen.
I know we're all desperate, but I honestly think De Ceglie will effectively put an end to all our nightmares.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Chiellini was solid at left back yesterday, he's a great versatile player and that will come in handy this season. It depends on what ranieri wants from an LB but i think the backline will be better if he is in the centre

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Prior to the match there was an interview with Sir Alex Fergson. During the interview he mentioned the greatness of Juventus.
This is a non word to word quote but very close to what he said
"Juventus is a great team, one of the greatest in the world. Whenever I build a team I always have juventus in my sight. Thats why for me as a manager it was one of the most important achievement in my career to beat Juventus in the semi final game".

Tha Bo$$

May 15, 2003
I think Chiellini did play a solid game at left back last night. His passing has improved imo, he played a few nice long balls over the top to the very slow Salihamidzic.

I do agree we should keep him at CB though - he's just a warrior when he plays there.

If only we could clone him and have in the centre as well as left back lol

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
Juventus was unlucky in the 90s....we had 3-4 chances to win CL, but we could only get one in 1996
we were by far the strongest, even in the ManU match in the semi it was the best match ever even though we lost. the thing about our team in the 90's is that any player could score for us and it was amazing

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Chiellini is too tall and thin, he looks clumsy wherever performs a dribble, or a tackle. The important thing though is, that he is efficient!
A clumsy tackle in our box, even if it hits the ball first could result into a penalty, but a clumsy dribble with a nice cross in the end could result into an assist!!

Certainly Chiellini made that turn into CB earlier but not because he was not a good LB, but because of our emergency lack of material in CB positions, esp after Andrade's injury, Boumsong's fall and Criscito's ownage by Totti.
We sacrifised an LB to get a more vital CB.
Make no mistake, Chiellini was pretty good as a LB, not quite a Zambro heir, but its impossible for any other player to compete with Zambro at his prime.
Chiellini was probably even better at his defensive duties, he has a pretty good acceleration supported with great stamina and a very good cross.
He was our best fullback at the moment and we never had a better fullback until then, counting both sides.

Sure his physique allows him to play as a CB too, he towering frame is intimidating, but Chiellini isnt slow, at least not at this age, he can sweep our flank for 90' and more, he is a defender first and help a great deal our CBs to defend and close all the gaps leading to them and he can also be decisive going forward, IMO this is exactly how a fullback should be, defend super solid first and being capable going forward then, i dont like to see attacking midfielders trying to defend...

I think ppl tend to underestimate his stamina level only because he is big and usually big ppl are slow, but Chiellini isnt, exactly as Thuram wasnt!!
Thuram was not a Cafu either, but he was an exemplary RB and certainly the most solid one in the left flank at his time.
IMO Chiellini has better offensive skills than Thuram had and certainly better defensive+offensive skills than Molinaro has and probably better defensive skills than Zambro had.

It is unfair to underestimate Chiellini's work in our left flank only because he wasnt as effective offensively as Zambro. just look at our other side, do we have any better than there?
Chiellini is better both offensively and defensively than both Zebina and Grygera,
hell not even Salih isnt better offensively anymore...

I dont want Chiellini to come at hid CB position at the age of 30+, but right now he is capable of playing as an LB because he is fast enough and has a very good stamina, i believe in the same standards as the overrated Molinaro, who has nothing more to boast.
But Chiellini exp, positioning and awareness, can help him provide a real support to our CBs, boosting their performances and make their lives easier, intercepting opposition before they even get to them.
On the other hand Molinaro being completely useless defensively forces our defenders to do an extra work to cover up for his own mistakes,
thats why removing him as a threat from within, we can handle the same pressure with an even weaker LCB.

Offensively the quality of the crosses Chiellini provides are eons ahead of Molinaro's and better than our RBs, four aimed crosses in their small box isnt smth Molinaro cant provide in a whole season, not in a single match!!
Giorgio showed that he could be a great CB in the future and why would we want to move to left back? Just as Allen pointed out the upgrade to both molinaro and De Ceglie won't be that great and we would be taking the risk of having a weaker CB ( which is a more delicate area).

Also don't forget that we need him in the center and its not only a precautionary measure anymore.If we get a WC Center back tomorrow then i would still for Chiellini to partner him in that area rather than shifting him to left back.

He was the revelation for italy in the Euros and everyone praised his performance, for me that should be enough proof that he should stay as our starting center back.

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
You can get away with the Browns, Bellettism, Olegeaurs, Finnans, Zaccardos,Molinaros as long as you have your Vidic/Ferdinand, Puyol, Carragher, Cannavaro or Chiellini in the middle

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
we were by far the strongest, even in the ManU match in the semi it was the best match ever even though we lost. the thing about our team in the 90's is that any player could score for us and it was amazing
Yap we were especially in the 97 and 98 when we lost to Dortmund and Real
I remember especially the 97 year when we thrashed everyone in our path and Dortmund was very lucky to catch us on an off day
every other day I guess the game would have been a one sided one
also we had back then my favourite Montero

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)