[Friendly] Italia vs Switzerland [31-05-2006] (1 Viewer)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't know what's Pirlo's exact Job on the field. I see this player over-rated sometimes as he can't hold the counter attack from the midfield nor can do a good jib while attacking, he's killing the game most of the time. I think It would be much better to see Camo---Gattuso---De Rossi on the field and maybe introduce Perrotta later on.

The game wasn't bad, as I said in Dp's official thread It was clear that this game was more like Lippi trying his man, changing formation tactics etc...Too bad It was such a tough game with lot of fouls.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Andy said:

Just have a little faith......if we lose we lose but i dont think it will happen. Friendlies mean nothing, if we would have lost i'd be saying the same thing. it doesn't matter what u do during these games but i'm sure italy will step up for the world cup and win it all!!!!

Forza Azzurri forever!!!!

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I'm still kind of wondering what happened to the team that dismantled Germany, and trashed the Dutch....

Call it what you will, but this "experiment" that Lippi tried tonight failed miserably !! DP was played out of position (and it showed), we dont function well with a lone striker, and who came up with the idea not to move forward, and just keep giving the ball away in our own end with bad passes ???

The game became a contest of who was the better team at committing ugly fouls (I think we lost !!)

Totti ?? Did he even play today ?? Someone tell me one positive thing he did, besides finish the entire game ??

Pirlo ?? Absolutely useless today...

Zaccardo and Iaquinta ?? DON'T BELONG ON THE TEAM !!

both Iaquinta and Zaccardo are liabilities, but Zaccardo has a better chance of actually seeing some action, and he will be our downfall

onto the positives-

Canna was solid on defense

I will say that Materazzi was decent, and behaved himself (I still dont trust him !!)

Gila finished the only real chance he got

lets hope we improve, or we could very easily see a repeat of Euro 2004 :cry:

sidd

Sep 1, 2005
Not the best of games to warm up with, the game clearly showed up our lack of depth in the midfield, and i totally agree with vinman about zaccardo and iqauinta, the both seemed out of depth. Also with DP, they played him too far back and wide to make any imapct on the game. I`d say this would be the ideal way to go in the WC :

-----------------------Buffon---------------------
Zambo---Canna---------------Nesta----Grosso

----------------------Gattuso---------------------

Camoranesi-----------------------------deRossi

------------------------Totti-----------------------

--------Toni/Gila---------------DelPiero----------

cristoforo1897

Jan 7, 2006
sidd said:
Not the best of games to warm up with, the game clearly showed up our lack of depth in the midfield, and i totally agree with vinman about zaccardo and iqauinta, the both seemed out of depth. Also with DP, they played him too far back and wide to make any imapct on the game. I`d say this would be the ideal way to go in the WC :

agreed, i think putting zambrotta on right he would link up well with camo. i think pirlo is useless. i would start with toni rather than gila he gives another dimension.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
totti was poor, i think it was probably a result of his injury and being fatigued, but he should have been taken off, every time pirlo had the ball he would not make a run, intsead stand around pirlo. and know one ever closed down the swiss, lippi needs to sort that out.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
sidd said:

yeh i prefer that formation but i think that lippi if he was to do this, del piero would come on in totti's position

Tariq

Jun 17, 2003
As many of you said, this was just a friendly and the final result does not matter, that is true, but looking at the players and the way they handled the game I say they need to get their acts together really quick considering that there is 12 days to go before their first match. Lets start from the begining.

Buffon did a good job all in all but wasn't really bombarded with shots or crosses. the goal came from a strong shot about 25 yards from goal, I think if there was a stronger midfield and Buffon hadn't been standing out of goal too much the ball would have never seen the back of the net.

Materazzi screwed up as usual and Canavaro had to cover his Ass a few times. Zacardo was terrible and was out manouvered by the Swiss players he had to committ a lot fouls to stop the attackers and was the first to get the yellow card. Cannavaro no doubt about it the best in Defence.

Totti and Pirlo literally did nothing on the pitch. Totti was not attacking so Gilardino had to play up front alone and so did Toni. Pirlo wasn't even going for the ball to be able to create chances or play the through balls, that left Del Piero all alone on the left trying to create chances and to reach the goal but he wasn't that effective. Gilardino did a good job scoring that goal but that was about it, not a single close goal after that. Toni put a lot of effort and seemed to give the swiss Defenece a hard time but he was all alone with Iaquinta absolutely useless. Camoranesi did well in the first half, good manouvering in middle of the field as usual but that was about it.

I think De Rossi and Gattusso did extremely well, even though it was a friendly they were playing with all their force, they did get too excited and preformed 2 terrible fouls that could have seen the Swiss players out for serious injuries, but other than that great defending by Gattusso and excellent passing by De Rossi with very good anticipation.

All in all I did not see Italy as a TEAM, it seemed that everyone was playing for himself, maybe its just me but I didn't feel the Italian spirit at all. That was not a team that could win the World Cup, it was a bunch of players trying to get through ninety minutes.

jussiut

Feb 22, 2005
Tariq said:
All in all I did not see Italy as a TEAM, it seemed that everyone was playing for himself, maybe its just me but I didn't feel the Italian spirit at all. That was not a team that could win the World Cup, it was a bunch of players trying to get through ninety minutes.
Yes, I agree. I think the reason for that is that every player wants to show Lippi what he can do so they are playing to show their own usefulness to the team. The result was not important at all so everybody tried to just impress the coach.

del pietro

Aug 13, 2005
italy will struggle in he group stages like they always do.. but after this hurdle, i think italy is strong enough in the knock out stages. Let's hope italia have the right mentality for once. i have faith!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Vinman said:
I'm still kind of wondering what happened to the team that dismantled Germany, and trashed the Dutch....

Call it what you will, but this "experiment" that Lippi tried tonight failed miserably !! DP was played out of position (and it showed), we dont function well with a lone striker, and who came up with the idea not to move forward, and just keep giving the ball away in our own end with bad passes ???

The game became a contest of who was the better team at committing ugly fouls (I think we lost !!)

Totti ?? Did he even play today ?? Someone tell me one positive thing he did, besides finish the entire game ??

Pirlo ?? Absolutely useless today...

Zaccardo and Iaquinta ?? DON'T BELONG ON THE TEAM !!

both Iaquinta and Zaccardo are liabilities, but Zaccardo has a better chance of actually seeing some action, and he will be our downfall

onto the positives-

Canna was solid on defense

I will say that Materazzi was decent, and behaved himself (I still dont trust him !!)

Gila finished the only real chance he got

lets hope we improve, or we could very easily see a repeat of Euro 2004 :cry:
I'm not sure of what Lippi tried today concerning Dp failed, especially that Del Piero was decend in his prev games in that position(Holland, Germany)...It was pretty much obvious that the swiss defenders and their midfielders had a good day. Something they wont manage to do every-single game.

Totti still needs another 180min to enter into the action as he was kinda useless last night.

Pirlo as I keep on repeating the man is slow and over-rated, I think playing next to Gattuso and De Rossi or Camo you should be somehow fast, something you can't find in Andrea's feet.

If Lippi can just play Camo-Gattuso-De Rossi, would be much better, having Zambrotta pushing forward and he wouldn't have to worry as De Rossi is covering his zone/place. This way the game can go faster.

Oddo should always start instead of Zaccardo, He's not that bad but I just think that Massimo can do a better Job and cover much better.

Matrix wasn't that bad but as you said we should never trust him.

I say If just Totti can get into his action little bit more having beside him Del Piero and Infront of them one of Gila/Toni would be great. Not to forget Zambrotta and Oddo helping with their crosses and Zambo combining well with Del Piero just like under Lippi's old days at Juve....and De Rossi Gattuso at the back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)