Forecast for 2008/2009 (5 Viewers)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
What I think:

the board sucks for signing amauri, so unessercary, espacially when trez is better in his position and he isnt miles better than iaquinta.. infact iaquinta is pretty damn good. Then who do we use as a support striker understudy to DP? Or are we hoping for a crossing the ball tactic through camo and nedved?

Poulsens signing will turn out to be very good i know that, but sissoko plays the holding midfielder warrior position well enough that this wasnt nessercary, merely a bonus. Still, its going to be a strong defence midfield. We will just pass it out to the wingers and throw the ball into the headstrong strikers we have in trez and amauri.

Our defense is also balls. Chiellini is very good, but not world class (yet). If chiellini gets injured, then we are really in the shit. Mellberg is decent, but just a good back up defender. Legrotaglie has improved, but still not brilliant.. and then who is there?

It will be critical that buffon has a stellar season and we might just have to win by outscoring our oppenents..im only worried our build up play to the strikers is going to be too predictable through camoranesi the whole time. Giovinco is going to need a couple of seasons to develop and intergrate himself properly, and nedved is going to be in and out of the first team.

We are stacked too unevenly. Great attack, no doubt, A decent midfield and awful defence.

The only trophy we can realistically hope to win is the coppa italia, but we wont cos the club will focus on other competitions to appease the fans.

I predict a quater final in the champions league (at the very very most) and the best we can hope for is a top four finish, being outsiders in a title race contested by milan and inter. Fiorentina and rome are going to press us badly for the Cl spots aswell.

Im worried about Juventus pulling power. At first we couldnt get flamini (with CL football against a milan side where he will have to fight gatusso and pirlo, the long serving world cup winning multiple CL winning duo for places... he could of easily displaced C zanetti) and then we couldnt get alonso from a liverpool who WANT to sell him, and we settled for poulsen... this is really bad.

Overall the forecast looks bleak. The board in control is signs good players no doubt, but not world class, and to top if off, they sign them in unnessercary positions.
Even alonso would not of been good enough TBH, espacially when 3 years ago we signed vieira...

I was never asking for a creative midfielder, as the last one we had in the club was arguably zidane, we dont really have a huge history of playing that way, but we lack worldclass in defence and midfield.

Looks like we can already start thinking about 2009/2010...

Your thoughts?

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I'll be happy if we finish in top 4 and make it past the group stage in the CL. Anything more than that is just a bonus.

OP
Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    I'll be happy if we finish in top 4 and make it past the group stage in the CL. Anything more than that is just a bonus.
    jack do you actually live in gothenburg?

or one of those towns near it?

and are you going to a festival in sweden between the 31st and the 3rd?

OP
    Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    agree with you on all points, but I'm still optimistic...top 2 in Serie A and CL Semis ;)
    Yeah, we have to be optimistic to hope for that. It was a realistic wish 4 years ago for the title and the CL final...

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    jack do you actually live in gothenburg?

or one of those towns near it?

and are you going to a festival in sweden between the 31st and the 3rd?
    I live in Gothenburg, 15 minutes by bike from the central station.

What festival? There are tens of festivals in Sweden.

K_Mac

Apr 15, 2006
    Couple of points:

1. Amauri was not unnecessary. He was quite necessary. We're playing on three fronts...only having one true target striker in Trezeguet is not enough. If he gets hurt or suspended, we lack that killer instinct in front of goal. I do not expect DP to have nearly the season he had last year...I think he'll finally start to run out of gas (but I hope not!!). Iaquinta is a workhorse and a great player, but is not a goal poacher. I applaud Amauri's signing.

2. Poulsen....ehhhh, well it's only going to be worth it in my opinion if we offload Almiron and Tiago. Zanetti is a better player than Poulsen, and I still expect Zanetti to start next to Sissoko. Sure, Poulsen provides a backup to Sissoko...but we still have Marchisio, Ekdal, Almiron, Tiago. We'll have to see how this works out.

3. I think a star defender was the most important thing we needed and we failed, I agree with you there. Mellberg and Knezevic (spelling??) are good players...but not world class. Unfortunate about Andrade, but it is what it is. Our center defense will be the determining factor this year if we do well or flat out suck. I'm praying Secco has a trick up his sleeve to sort this out, but I have no faith in that.

4. Creative midfielder wasn't necessary...I agree. The only good ones we've had in last 20 years or so are Platini and Zidane. It's not really our style. We needed someone in the Gerrard, Xavi, Fabregas, or Carrick mold. Alonso would have been good, but he's still not world class in my opinion. But as you said, we don't have that pulling power now and they aren't too many players like that available anyway. I think David Silva would be an interesting player for us.

5. This will hands down be the hardest season for us that I can remember in a looooooong time. Milan will finally be at it in Serie A, Inter's team is unreal with a godly coach, Roma will be the same as last year, and Fiorentina has improved in the back and in the front. Not to mention a re-vamped Lazio, Palermo, and Napoli. PLus outsiders Genoa, Samp, and Udinese. Looks bleak. Top 4 will be very hard to get.

6. Champions League success is out of the question. Our squad is miles behind Chelsea, Man Utd, Pool, Barca, Madrid, Inter, and even Bayern. But our determination and grit is worth something. I wouldn't be surprised for a quarter or semi final spot. I doubt we have a chance for the final.

i'm sick of typing. i hope the season goes well...i'm naturally a pessimist at the start of every season, so hopefully i'm proven wrong!! FORZA JUVE.

Jun 29, 2008
    We have a good squad but I feel last seasons downfall will be the same as this years, consistency. I think we'll end up with 3rd - 4rth on the table this year behind milan and inter. As for the champions league, I worry more about the preliminaries than the next rounds as Juve's squad last year could always find the heart and determination to take out the big teams. For CL, if we get past the preliminary stages, then I can see us going to the quarter finals at least...

Hopin im wrong though! Scudetto + CL!

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    Couple of points:

1. Amauri was not unnecessary. He was quite necessary. We're playing on three fronts...only having one true target striker in Trezeguet is not enough. If he gets hurt or suspended, we lack that killer instinct in front of goal. I do not expect DP to have nearly the season he had last year...I think he'll finally start to run out of gas (but I hope not!!). Iaquinta is a workhorse and a great player, but is not a goal poacher. I applaud Amauri's signing.

2. Poulsen....ehhhh, well it's only going to be worth it in my opinion if we offload Almiron and Tiago. Zanetti is a better player than Poulsen, and I still expect Zanetti to start next to Sissoko. Sure, Poulsen provides a backup to Sissoko...but we still have Marchisio, Ekdal, Almiron, Tiago. We'll have to see how this works out.

3. I think a star defender was the most important thing we needed and we failed, I agree with you there. Mellberg and Knezevic (spelling??) are good players...but not world class. Unfortunate about Andrade, but it is what it is. Our center defense will be the determining factor this year if we do well or flat out suck. I'm praying Secco has a trick up his sleeve to sort this out, but I have no faith in that.

4. Creative midfielder wasn't necessary...I agree. The only good ones we've had in last 20 years or so are Platini and Zidane. It's not really our style. We needed someone in the Gerrard, Xavi, Fabregas, or Carrick mold. Alonso would have been good, but he's still not world class in my opinion. But as you said, we don't have that pulling power now and they aren't too many players like that available anyway. I think David Silva would be an interesting player for us.

5. This will hands down be the hardest season for us that I can remember in a looooooong time. Milan will finally be at it in Serie A, Inter's team is unreal with a godly coach, Roma will be the same as last year, and Fiorentina has improved in the back and in the front. Not to mention a re-vamped Lazio, Palermo, and Napoli. PLus outsiders Genoa, Samp, and Udinese. Looks bleak. Top 4 will be very hard to get.

6. Champions League success is out of the question. Our squad is miles behind Chelsea, Man Utd, Pool, Barca, Madrid, Inter, and even Bayern. But our determination and grit is worth something. I wouldn't be surprised for a quarter or semi final spot. I doubt we have a chance for the final.

i'm sick of typing. i hope the season goes well...i'm naturally a pessimist at the start of every season, so hopefully i'm proven wrong!! FORZA JUVE.
    :tup: like u're posts, i would only disagree with u saying that alonso is not a world class cause IMO he is.....

OP
    Dan

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    I live in Gothenburg, 15 minutes by bike from the central station.

What festival? There are tens of festivals in Sweden.
    Want to meet me? Only breifly I may add.

Im visiting a girl in sweden and Im bussing it to gothenberg from berlin. If you know where the bus terminals and stuff like that are, then ill be there sometime in the early morning on the 4th of august!

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    Couple of points:

They could've got someone else for cheap. Personally, I wanted Cavenaghi from Bordeaux (as if I have a say), but obviously the board had other plans and wanted to spend twice as much (in addition to two players) on a striker instead of having some more money around to bolster the sieve commonly known as the Juventus back four.

EDIT:

My predictions: 4th place or lower in Serie A, quarter-final bomb in Coppa Italia, and knockout round in Champions' League. At the winter break, Ranieri will add another defensive midfielder to solve the defensive problem.

K_Mac

Apr 15, 2006
    :disagree: Amauri is proven in Serie A and will do well. who knows what cavenaghi would do. it is not easy for strikers to succeed in italy

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    3rd place in serie A
    I really can't predict CL. That's a competition where way too many things depend on the draw. With a bad draw we may not even pass the groups (we can have a group consisted of us, ManUtd, Bayern and Atletico M.) but with a good draw we can even get to the semis (Chelsea qualified for the semis by eliminating Olympiacos and Fener).
    We can, with a bit of luck, eliminate a strong favorite but we can also be eliminated, with a bit of bad luck, by an average German team.

CL is impossible to predict.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    We will win The Scudetto. Yes you heard that right. go ahead laugh. I don't care. That's what I think will happen, so bite me.

We will reach the quarters of the CL.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    This season's forecast consists of rain along the coast with spells of Molinaro and an occasional chance of Grygera.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Want to meet me? Only breifly I may add.

Im visiting a girl in sweden and Im bussing it to gothenberg from berlin. If you know where the bus terminals and stuff like that are, then ill be there sometime in the early morning on the 4th of august!
    Do you have time for a cup of coffee? I know where the bus terminal is. 4th of August is a Monday though and I have work and my work is on the island, so going to the center is the wrong direction but if there's time for a coffee I'll go there. Where does she live?

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
    Do you have time for a cup of coffee? I know where the bus terminal is. 4th of August is a Monday though and I have work and my work is on the island, so going to the center is the wrong direction but if there's time for a coffee I'll go there. Where does she live?
    i suggest that you both meet in girl's apartment and you can have coffee for free.
    In a case if Dan is serious about this girl, I am sure JCK would not mind to could check on her and give you report, just in case :).

Going back to topic...

I think with Poulsen, Amauri, Melberg and few youngsters , we got on "quantity" which will be very important for CL, Cup, and league, but not enough of WC quality to chalenge 1st place.

I believe that Roma will be 4th, they depending to much on Totti and Rossi, only improvement is Reese, but no Mancini any longer...
    Milan improved greatly, also they are not in CL, so i guess it will be in between them and :inter: for 1st, and we would be fighting for 3rd spot..

Anything above 3rd, it will be HUGE, but i dont think so..
    I think we dont have quality in our team to challenge for more than 3rd place..

Re CL, i would love to see us in semi's, and it could be possible..

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
    Couple of points:

1- Why is Trez better than Amauri?? we all know that if Trez plays in a team as Palermo he wont score half Amauri's goals, just because we love a player we dont have to insist that he's the best

3- Gerrard , Xavi and Fabregas ARE creative midfielders, plus you mentioned Carrick with the above players then you said Alonso is not a WC..... sure he's better than Carrick

Anyways, the most optimistic Juve fan expects a top 3 finish in Serie A, and that shows the disaster we are in, this board succeeded to change our team into a mid-table team whose fans dream of a CL spot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)