For god's sake, Europeans, don't let skip! Not this time!! (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
As a student of a European-orientated education I feel obliged to do this but there is also a sincere truth behind the urge with which I bring you, citizens of the EU, the following message:

There are elections coming up: pan-European ones. Once again its time we vote for the European Parliament and all those other institutions derived thereof.

I know what you're thinking, and I thought it too at first: "Why would I want to vote for that? Voting for my own national government already makes minimal sense to me."

And to a certain degree you are right. There really never was a great deal of importance to European elections, the European institutions were ruled by national governments anyway.

But not anymore.

In the next four years, decisions will be reached on the creation of a European Confederation, a European Confederal Army, a European president, the accession of Turkey, the European Constitution and many, many more extremely important issues.

Whatever you think was important in the past of European Unification could well look like a measly step in the process when the next term is over.

So, for god's and your own sake, go voting! Take the VoteMatch test to see which European political party expresses your opinion best and make a decision.

Its not much fun, I know, but its really necessary.

Here are the dates of the voting process:

10 June 2004
The Netherlands, The United Kingdom

11 June 2004
Czech Republic, Ireland

12 June 2004
Latvia, Malta

13 June 2004
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden

15 June 2004
Official results will be announced.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    I should vote for ELDR but that does not exist here though.
    What's the usual procedure is that everyone votes for their national parties. The representatives of these parties go to Brussels and unite.

For example, the representatives of the largest party from Sweden, the Socialdemokratiska arbetarpartiet would unite in the European Parliament with the Sociale Partij from the Netherlands and their equivalents from every European nation under the flag of the PSE Group.

This votematch I passed you a link of will help you decide on which national equivalent of parties you should vote and it should help you understand which party in the European Parliament stands for which ideals.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    They're not, the discussing is still going on. A decision will be reached in a few month's time.

Their entry is subject to heated debates because of the dreadful human rights situtation in Turkey. Dreadful compared to other European nations anyway.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    They're not, the discussing is still going on. A decision will be reached in a few month's time.

Their entry is subject to heated debates because of the dreadful human rights situtation in Turkey. Dreadful compared to other European nations anyway.

not fair to turkey

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    I think the process of unification in Europe is not going to be a good thing.

Its not worth gaining ground on the US if it means further isolation from the third world countries- which all this will eventually do- further deepen the chasm between the poorly developing third world and the first world.

In short it will be

US-Europe
    China-India
    The average third world country
    The poorest of the poor, mostly African countries.

Dec 27, 2003
    The process of unification of Europe has been going on for 50 years now (since the treaty of Rome in 1954) and it has brought nothing but positive effects. At first its main goal was to make war impossible in Europe through economic integration : if Germany had wanted to attack France again, it was attacking its own interests too. It worked.

As the EU expanded from its original 6 members (the Benelux countries, France, Germany and Italy) to 9, then 12, 15 and now 25, it broadened its objectives : we now have created a 460 million economic and political entity which is the biggest single market in the world, with an 11 trillion GDP equalling that of the US.

I believe the most positive effects of this is the fact that countries that were once poor witnessed an economic boom after joining the EU. Ireland's GDP per head was 60% that of the EU average in 1973. Today it's 120%. Spain and Portugal were poor and just emerging from dictatorial regimes before accession : today Portugal has developped and Spain is one of the most dynamic and fastest-growing economies in Europe. The same is most likely to happen with the new Eastern European countries that have just joined the European family. Isn't it great to see Poland, Estonia, the Czech Republic, countries that were under the soviet yoke only 15 years ago, embrace democracy and the market economy?

The EU is also the single biggest aid donor to third world countries. The share of our GDP allocated to foreign aid is more than twice that of the US. Through the Euromed programme, we provide infrastructures and training to Mediterranean countries from North Africa and the Middle East. We levy trade tariffs on some of their produtcs and all we ask in return is the promotion of the rule of law and democracy in those countries. I believe this is a more thought-out approach than unilateralist "democracy-enforcing".

As regards Turkey, they have been knocking on the EU door since 1963, and we have always refused them accession, essentially for two reasons : one is the very relevant power that the Army has in the political life there. We can't accept a country where generals are able to depose and elected government whenever they feel like. The other is of course its poor human rights' record, and particularly its treatment of the kurd minority. We take minority rights very seriously, and Turkey does not meet EU standards in that respect. Personally, I think it would create a great precedent if a secular muslim country like Turkey joined a Western entity such as the EU. That would dismiss the clash of civilisations (Islam vs Christianity) that some are calling for. But on the other hand, I think Turkey still has a lot of work to do if it wants to be eligible for membership, and we can in no way revise or lower our accession criterias. Also, there is a question of homogeneity : the current members have more or less similar social and legal systems that can be integrated. The EU is much more than a free-trade area, and I fear that by taking in Turkey we might hinder the integration process.

Anyway, I can only repeat Erik's call now and encourage the citizens of the EU to go en masse to the ballot boxes next June. It is essential that they take an interest and make their voice heard in EU affairs : democracy has to be participative if it is to deliver results.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    u know. there are hundreds of other places outside europe where things are worse
    That doesn't mean that things couldn't always get better other places too. Try telling the mistreated people in Turkey: "Quit yer whining, people have it worse other places."
    ++ [ originally posted by DukeVonEggwaffle? ] ++
    I think the process of unification in Europe is not going to be a good thing.

Its not worth gaining ground on the US if it means further isolation from the third world countries- which all this will eventually do- further deepen the chasm between the poorly developing third world and the first world.

In short it will be

US-Europe
    China-India
    The average third world country
    The poorest of the poor, mostly African countries.
    Do you think the gap will increase because of the EU? The gain that will be made on the US will obviously be gained by united and standing strong as one, not exploiting third world countries more than before. To me, the EU expansion and such will not affect this problem much.

And very good post Kaiser Franco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)