Football Manager 2011 (51 Viewers)

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
Mar 14, 2009
When I played the demo, I found a page before the match called Match Preparation. In it, you can 3 formations, something like that.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
An aspect of real life training Football Manager has not really modelled before is match preparation.

While the training in FM has previously only focused on improving the players as individuals, having talked to lots of people inside football, including visiting both international and club training sessions and post training meetings, we made the decision to ensure that training also needs to function as a tool to make the team work better as a whole by training formations and tactics in training.

It’s about time really – people have been discussing this on our forums for a long time, but it was only this year that we managed to come up with a way to make this work properly alongside the other parts of the game.

By default, your team will train in whichever tactic you’ve set up as your main tactic, but also gives you the choice to add 2 more tactics, either ones you’ve created yourself, or some of the other default tactics in the game to ensure you can have not just a plan b, but a plan c too.

The training module tracks the level of familiarity to each area of the tactics for each team, and tracks formation, mentality, passing style, creative freedom, closing down, marking, tempo and width, giving feedback to you as the manager in how familiar the squad are with what you are asking.

When changing into a tactical setting that the team is not familiar with, default starting levels for each area are worked out from the existing levels in the same tactical area. So adapting to a new formation for example will be much easier if the team had already been training a similar formation before. This helps you have more flexibility on the match preparation training as familiarity levels do not "reset" that easily, unless you go for some totally different tactical settings to what the squad is familiar with. Or sign a whole squad of new players, who will be training from scratch to adjust to your tactics, unless they’ve had similar match preparation training elsewhere, of course.

The better trained your players are and the more familiar they are with your tactics, the better they will play.

On top of this, there are also special focus areas for the squad that can be chosen aside from the regular tactical training. This takes some of the focus about from the tactics training, but can be very useful in other areas.

These are team blend (one for the wheeler dealers out there!), defensive positions, attacking movement, defending set pieces and attacking set pieces. These special focus assignments can be changed before each match based on the next opposition to make the most of their weaknesses and your own strengths.

It’s up to you to decide the split between match preparation and scheduled individual training – just be careful not to overload your players, as over training can harm development, increase the risk of injuries, and also make players unhappy. And you wouldn’t like them if they were unhappy….

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I hate these mid-season crisis that come for no apparent reason. I was killing the season, then Roma away a draw, Sampdoria away draw, then Inter away lost, Cagliari away lost. My 10 point lead is down to 3. Great. I managed one shot on goal against Cagliari, even though I scored a shitload of goals the whole season.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Cesena home, a draw. 1 point lead now.

This has been a problem n FM for ages now. Your tactic gets "cracked" by the game's AI and you are forced to change formation because of it. I'm sorry developers, formations change because of injuries or because of tactical reasons in a certain game, not because you game was read out and even a relegation fighter can beat you. If that was the case, Barca would be a mid-table team by now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)