Final | Portugal - Greece (2 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
:wallbang: Andries, you might be having fun, but this has gone miles off topic, and is deteriorating into either an arguement or a lovefest, depending on how serious you two are.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Thank you Stuart. It was a hard fought episode. I'd now like to thank all of my fans and friends...well.. that's about it for my speech.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Does anyone else think Deco may have played poorly for Portugal because he was at the front of an attacking midfield rather than a defensive one, as he is at Porto? I've seen that kind of thing make a difference before.

Expecially in the final, he looked uncomfortable on the ball, unsure about his positioning and distribution.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
TBH mikhail, I've never been a big fan of Deco, but do agree with you. I think the Porto system where the play is based around him suited him better than the NT one, where you have Figo, Ronaldo and Rui.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
TBH mikhail, I've never been a big fan of Deco, but do agree with you. I think the Porto system where the play is based around him suited him better than the NT one, where you have Figo, Ronaldo and Rui.
To be fair, he almost never played at the same time as Rui Costa, so it's less a case that he's got less space, than he's just unfamiliar with the system of play. If that truely is the case, is it fair to say that Scholari failed big-time as the coach in that he didn't fix the flaw in Deco's game and he didn't drop him?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Thank you Stuart. It was a hard fought episode. I'd now like to thank all of my fans and friends...well.. that's about it for my speech.
*applauses rapturously* :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Actually it still is on topic. We are deciding whether the Greek deserved to win based on their hard work.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And it's relevant because the Greek obviously are less talented than other nations. So we should decide whether hard work or sheer talent is the most important thing.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Better watch out Mikhail...just admit now that it is still on topic and relevant, or, were in for another thirty posts of this:D

...and yeah, Deco did suffer, as he was asked to play 'into' the hole rather than as a full out play maker....does that make sense?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Personally I think Rui Costa should have played right from the start in the final. Did you see how he played when he finally entered? He was by far the best Portuguese player. And Deco, though he's a very good player, isn't cut out for a Rui Costa-role. Rui Costa still is your traditional playmaker and I think that had he played from the start, Portugal would have walked away with the win.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Pauleta has played a bad tournament, but what happened to Maniche in the final? He suddenly became invisible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)