Final | Portugal - Greece (4 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
"Football players can be compared to the gladiators in the Roman time. They're there to amuse the crowd. That's not what Greece did. Sorry guys, football really isn't that much about winning. Athletics and cycling and stuff like that are. Football is just a game, it isn't an actual sport".

See, your word "they" in front line is applicable to the word "gladiators in the Roman time", because it is the latter in that sentence, and not the “football players”.

To me that is not an answer to a question “What is football about”. It only says "Gladiators amuse the crowd". So going back to college and taking some English lessons wouldn't help you at all.

So, since unlike you, I don't make assumptions about things I see, I simply did not understand what you mean.
That sentance is structured correctly. "Football players" is the subject of the first sentance, and the pronoun means that the second sentance inherits the subject of the first.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++
thats what i was thinking, wow this guy has got speed... and then he breaks the eventful run by jumping into the net:D
Yeah, I liked that - he did what the entire Portugese squad was failing to do - he hit the back of the Greek net! :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
That sentance is structured correctly. "Football players" is the subject of the first sentance, and the pronoun means that the second sentance inherits the subject of the first.
Good thing there is no polymorphism involved. :D

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Ok then, is this sentance clear to you?

"Juventus management invited Anopko, Smertin and Ignashevich for some coffee. They declined, saying they don't drink coffee on Saturdays."

Who does "they" apply to, and why?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Ok then, is this sentance clear to you?

"Juventus management invited Anopko, Smertin and Ignashevich for some coffee. They declined, saying they don't drink coffee on Saturdays."

Who does "they" apply to, and why?
It's a little more confused, because here the verb (invited) acts on Anopko, Smertin etc, where as in the previous example there was no such confusion. However, "declined" makes it clear that "they" refers to the invited, rather than the inviter. :) Clear as mud. Suffice it to say, Martin finds it obvious, so it can't be that hard. :p
Well... to me it was very unclear in the first case.

Anyways... I won't argue with y'all... (President and a Moderator) :)
Good. :fero: ;)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Look I study Latin and Greek. If there is one thing I learn thanks to these languages it is how to build sentences. Ever since I was 12 I could see that the sentence I've written is correct and that "they" stands for the football players. Yes, I'm just a high school-student, but everyone of my class will understand my sentances, because that's what we've been studying the last five years. My entire life will be built around the fact I'm good at speaking. Perhaps not in English, but definitely in Dutch.

Furthermore my sentance was structured correctly, and I'd like you to react to my point instead of worrying about whether I can write or not.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
[/QUOTE]

So going back to college and taking some English lessons wouldn't hurt you at all.

[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll have to pretend I didn't read that. Otherwise I'd have to make fun out of you. Damn, what a dilemma.

I guess it isn't that smart to be arrogant towards people, because you THINK they aren't as smart as you. So you might need to adjust your personality.

Probably you're one of those people looking down on others for the wrong reasons. One of those reasons being you THINK you're smarter than them. But let's return to the subject, shall we?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And what really bugs me is that everyone is overlooking my point!!!!! Does anyone even remember the comparison I made between football players and gladiators? Does anyone agree or disagree? Yeah, besides Pendir that is, he doesn't even understand what I said.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Look I study Latin and Greek. If there is one thing I learn thanks to these languages it is how to build sentences. Ever since I was 12 I could see that the sentence I've written is correct and that "they" stands for the football players. Yes, I'm just a high school-student, but everyone of my class will understand my sentances, because that's what we've been studying the last five years. My entire life will be built around the fact I'm good at speaking. Perhaps not in English, but definitely in Dutch.

Furthermore my sentance was structured correctly, and I'd like you to react to my point instead of worrying about whether I can write or not.
Aaaaah

Sorry mate, if you truly believe that footballers play “not to win”, that Greece is disgusting, doesn’t deserve the EURO, and “does not play football very well”- I have nothing else to say to you…

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Not necessarily, athletes want to win at all cost, it's in their blood. Entertaining is good but it's not the most important thing. At least to them. Otherwise how could you defend Italy and the way they have played lots of times to win at all cost (ie. Espana82)?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Not necessarily, athletes want to win at all cost, it's in their blood. Entertaining is good but it's not the most important thing. At least to them. Otherwise how could you defend Italy and the way they have played lots of times to win at all cost (ie. Espana82)?
Actually Italy played very entertaining football in 82. They weren't a catenaccio team back then. Have you ever seen those games on Eurosport? Sure, they sucked in the group stage, but they won 3-2 against Brazil and 3-1 in the final. A final in which they totally outplayed Germany I might add.

And I didn't say the football players themselves don't want to win. I'm saying that FOOTBALL (and not the players) is about entertaining the crowd. Professional football exists because we enjoy looking at it.

So professional football will disappear if finals like this become regular. There wasn't much to enjoy in this tournament and that's too bad for football. Yes, the players do play football to win yet the viewers don't look at it because they want to know who wins.

So my comparison with gladiators is perfect. Gladiators needed to be victorious at all costs, while the public just enjoyed a nice sunny afternoon in which they saw human beings slaughtering each other. Don't be a fool to think football is anything else than that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Aaaaah

Sorry mate, if you truly believe that footballers play “not to win”, that Greece is disgusting, doesn’t deserve the EURO, and “does not play football very well”- I have nothing else to say to you…
My god, you truly are unbelievable.
*sigh* Football isn't about winning, but the players do play football to win. It's as simple as that. :rolleyes:

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004

*sigh* Football isn't about winning, but the players do play football to win. It's as simple as that. :rolleyes:
Might i add, that your name contradicts what you are saying. If football inst about winning, why was this the worst euro ever? Cos greece won? But winning doenst matter right?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Aaaaah

And you shouldn't have started a new sentance there.
The sentance with if is a clause (of condition), so you'll need another part.
I guess going back to college and take some English lessons wouldn't hurt you :D.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Hmmm... I don't get it... what do you want from me now?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++

Might i add, that your name contradicts what you are saying. If football inst about winning, why was this the worst Euro ever? Cos greece won? But winning doenst matter right?
OMG, are you guys really this dumb? No, it wasn't the worst Euro ever because Greece won. It was the worst Euro ever, because I (the spectator) wasn't amused with what I saw. I didn't see anything special. It doesn't necessarily have to be the worst euro ever for you if you were amused. You see, I'm even so wise I can accept there is no such thing as a general truth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)