Final | Portugal - Greece (6 Viewers)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Watching from a pragmatic point of view football should be filled with spectacular free kicks, nice dribbles and incredible goals. If it isn't, professional football will disappear. If you deny this, you're just plain stupid.

Andries man...chill out a littl'.:cool:

Football would have died years ago if it relied solely on these attributes to keep it going. Spectacular free kicks, nice dribbles and incredible goals, are too few and far between, even in the best leagues in the world, to be the be-all and end-all of footie. There's more than that.

Yeah, OK, when you do witness such games, it leaves you with wonderful emotions and memories, but it doesn't happen very often.:down:

You have to show commitment, passion, fearless determination and solid tacticts, together with talent and skill to be a winner in this day and age. The days of winning matches by using the philosophy of simply scoring more goals than the opposition, and throwing in a few fancy flicks to keep the chicks and purists happy, have now drifted gracefully, and elequantly, off into the mists of time - remembered only by old coggers like me...hehe

Greece isn't the anti-christ of world football, deserving a stake through the heart for having the temerity to frustrate and embaress so called more senior teams, full of over payed and overhyped spoilt jessies. They asked genuine questions of these teams with there style of football; and the answer was a bit of a shock to those who pay the big bucks in the first place. The big dogs barked real loud, but failed to bite.

Come on AG man, you've shown you know a lot about football, and can present a good argument, so it's hard to believe that you genuinely believe Greece were as bad as you are making them out to be in terms of football style and technique:confused:

Credit where credit is due? Go on.:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't think Greece were that bad in terms of football style and technique. But I'm disappointed that we now have a quite mediocre European Champion whereas we used to have the brilliant France.

I as well thought Greece deserved to win against Portugal and yes tactically they played a brilliant tournament.

I'm interested in tactics, but I'm even more interested in seeing an amusing game. And I'm sorry, but I wasn't amused by the Greek performance. I was amused by Italy 4 years ago, but that was because they were even more cynical. They played so cynical it got ridicolous. Everybody started hating Italy and they still won, that's why I was amused by them.

I guess it's my nature I don't care that much about tactics. I know all about them though. My favourite is a 3-5-2, which allows you to be very attacking whilst at the same time playing catenaccio.

Not by Greece though. They haven't done anything exceptional. They won the title thanks to strikers missing easy chances. Look, I'm a playmaker, so I'm thrilled when I see a guy like Rui Costa give a magnificent through ball or a guy like Zidane thundering in a free kick.

But I didn't see that whilst looking at Greece. I'm supposed to admire their tactical discipline, and I do, but I can never admire it in the same way I admire raw talent. And none of the Greek players, perhaps with exception Karagounis, has got that much talent.

I think football does exists for these rare moments, Roverbhoy. I really think it does. Actually when I look at football, the only thing I do is wait for those moments. Except when Italy or Juventus play, then I just want to see them win. Though I like it more when they win nicely.

So as I said before (and this summarises everything I have to say):

Greece deserved it alright, but it's a pity they did.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
Greece took the only chance the got while Czech screw all three they have and still you deny Greece derserved victory? ..man.. u are biased... i bet if its italy in Greeces's place u would bring nothing of that issue....
Greece came into the Czech semi-final and the Portugal final with their gameplan clear as day -- with not a single surprise. And yet still the opposite coaches and teams could do nothing to knock their gameplan off track.

How in-your-face is that? It's like a 10-year-old street thug who comes up to you, tells you that in three days he's going to come to your door, kick you to the ground, and take all your money. And he shows up three days later, kicks you to the ground, and then takes all your money.

If that doesn't show superiority, I don't know what does. :dazed:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Aressandro, the sole purpose of professional football is entertaining the crowd. That's the only reason it exists as well. So no, entertainment is not a small factor, it's the factor.

Watching from a pragmatic point of view football should be filled with spectacular free kicks, nice dribbles and incredible goals. If it isn't, professional football will disappear. If you deny this, you're just plain stupid.
Oh, for certain -- sports is entertainment. It certainly has more in common with the movie listings than the front page headlines in the papers.

As a business built upon entertainment, spectacular free kicks and incredible goals won't hurt. But you're missing the primary ingredient to the entertainment package: winning.

As a Juventino, sure I'd love to see DP make incredible goals. I'd love to see Nedved put up some killer crosses cleaned up by Trez. But all of that has little meaning to me if we end up facing regulation.

Winning is the highest form sports entertainment can take. Everything else from there is gravy -- or something to help sell kits and merchandise of individual players in other towns.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You don't need football to win. You can win in hugh jumping as well. We aren't football fans because we like to see 11 men win. No, we're football fans because we like to see in what way 11 men kick around a ball.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
I think football does exists for these rare moments, Roverbhoy. I really think it does. Actually when I look at football, the only thing I do is wait for those moments. Except when Italy or Juventus play, then I just want to see them win. Though I like it more when they win nicely.

That'll do for me:D

I'm happy now AG...see ya

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Why are you so obsessed with talent? Talent is nothing, it's work that makes the big players.

Success is 1% talent and 99% hard work, it's been said more than once.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, but I'm pretty sure they did. It's just about luck. Everything in sport is 90% about luck. Then there's 5 % about dope, 3%about talent, 1%about working hard and another percent about luck :D.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I knew it, this is all about Italy. Cant you just accept that Italy lost and that they're out. They didnt deserve to go through or win, why cant you accept that another team deserved it? Why the sour grapes? Just face it, Greece deserved to win, Italy didnt.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Look at the NBA. The Pistons didint have the best team nor the most talent, but they worked the hardest and deserved the title the most.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If there is anything in the world that has quite little to do with hard work then it's sports. I know it's nice to believe sportshero's have obtained their status thanks to a lifetime of hard work, but it's just not true. When you and me work as hard as The Pistons did we'll never win an NBA-title. Just because I'm 1m75, I'm already ruled out of basketball. So please, don't think the foundation of a sportscareer is hard work.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
If there is anything in the world that has quite little to do with hard work then it's sports. I know it's nice to believe sportshero's have obtained their status thanks to a lifetime of hard work, but it's just not true. When you and me work as hard as The Pistons did we'll never win an NBA-title. Just because I'm 1m75, I'm already ruled out of basketball. So please, don't think the foundation of a sportscareer is hard work.
Bull. How do you think Mugsy got into the NBA? Do you think he just got his full '90%' share of luck and happened to get picked? Do you think Roberto Carlos didn't have to work hard on his attacking and free kicks not to be laughed at when he told everyone that he's a defender? Come off it.

Football is no 9-5, in fact it's a lot of people's dream job, but the fact is that footballers have to train hard and stay fit to be at the top of their games. Sure, some players don't work as hard as others, which is why the Third division was invented. Look at the quote about Pavel Nedved in someone's signature. It says that he stayed on the pitch after a match and played until the floodlights went out. Do you think it's a coincidence that he was named European footballer of the year? Athletes have a life that every man, at one stage in his life, has dreamt of. Why aren't you or me professional sportsmen? Probably because we didn't train hard enough from when we were young.

Do you honestly think that every footballer in the world got where they are because of a combination of talent and luck, with no hard work involved? I highly doubt it. I'm sure there have been millions of people in the world with the talent and the physique to be top footballers, but they just didn't pursue it enough to reach their best.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Look, you need to work in order to achieve something in sports. BUT if you haven't got any talent you can work as hard as you want, you'll never achieve anything. THUS talent forms the basics, with work you can perfection your talent. SO work isn't the most important thing in sport.

Do you play football, Gray?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And yes, of course did he get his 90% share of luck. There are at least 5000 basketball players in the USA that are equally good. He just happened to be picked. If you can't see that, it's really sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)