FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (7 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
I think 14 or 15 of those goals were in the first 19 rounds of the season. He started playing bad even while Sheva was there.

Anyway, i still don't get your point. Sheva or no Sheva, 2 men attack or 1 man attack, he was still playing.
It's his fault only.

In these last 7-8 generations of Italian players no-one, apart from De Rossi and maybe Cassano (but only talent-wise), comes even close to his predecessors.

There is no goalkeeper even close to Buffon's quality, no full back as good as Zambrotta in his prime, or as Maldini (maybe Santon will be the one, but big maybe).
No CB even close to Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Baresi. No champion close to Del Piero or Totti. There is no playmaker as Pirlo in his prime.

I don't see such players even in the current u-21 squad.

your being far too harsh , the wc 2006 team had plenty of talent, and italians are known for there late boomers, ask di natle and toni (when he was decent).

De Rossi isnt exactly ancient, he still has plenty of time, and are you telling me that the likes of santon and boaltali dont have the potential to be world class ?

You should also not forget that the likes of cheilini and rossi, are only 24 and 22 respectively. Those are two players im relying on for the future, and throw in giovinco we could have a good 4 to 5 world class players starting in the future

and lets not forget aqualani and pazzini , again potential late boomers, written all over them

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 30, 2006
I like the back line. Bocchetti I need to see more of, and I think Cannavaro has his spot.

The rest I like too, probably D'Agostino for Cigarini if the former joins us and has a season like he just had.
I am afraid barring any injury the whole backline has its WC spot. But I am optimistic players Like Leggro, Gamberini and TOni will lose their spots.

Canna coming to Juve will see Leggro on the bench more so maybe a good young CB can come in. If Toni stays at Bayern and has another bad year I dont see him holding on either. Rino is assured of his place if he is healthy but I think Lippi realizes Rino is a player who needs to be at his very peak to merit a place in the team ahead of players like Montolivio, D'aGo and hopefull Marchisio

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
These players will definitely play barring injuries.

Buffon
Zambrotta
Cannavaro
Chiellini
Grosso

Pirlo
De Rossi

Rossi
Iaquinta/Toni

So basically, it's the normal team without 2 players. Who will they be? Will they make a difference? Camo and Cassano?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
your being far too harsh , the wc 2006 team had plenty of talent, and italians are known for there late boomers, ask di natle and toni (when he was decent).
The WC team was consisted of players born before 1980. Super talented players, who were great even when they were young. Players like Del Piero, Inzaghi, Totti, Buffon, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Nesta etc.
The ones born after 1980 were Amelia, Barzagli, Zaccardo, De Rossi and Gilardino.
Now who are the other quality players who are now 22,23, 24, 25 and are just as good as Del Piero or Nesta, Totti etc were at that age?

No man, there is lack of quality among players younger than 29, while those superstars who brought the WC are now either retired or way past it.
De Rossi isnt exactly ancient, he still has plenty of time, and are you telling me that the likes of santon and boaltali dont have the potential to be world class ?
Not talking about De Rossi. I said that he is the only one on par with his predecessors. (Chiellini is also good but not exactly Nesta or Maldini).

As for Santon and Balotelli, it's way too early to tell. They're 18.
But i believe those two have more talent compared to some others. So that's the hope for Italy. The guys born in the 1990's. Because the 1980's generations sucked :smile:

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Right now, for 2010 I would like to see...

-------------------Buffon

Santon-----Cannavaro----Chiello-----Grosso

----De Rossi--- D'Agostino --- Marchisio

------------------Cassano

------------Rossi

--------------------------Iaquinta

D'Ago would really have to prove himself this coming year, Cassano would have to be accepted by Lippi, and Santon would have to be first choice for a full year at Inter. No real destroyer in midfield, but all are reasonably sound defensively.

Still a good balance of leadership in the starting lineup, with Buffon, Canna, Grosso, and De Rossi...

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
These players will definitely play barring injuries.

Buffon
Zambrotta
Cannavaro
Chiellini
Grosso

Pirlo
De Rossi

Rossi
Iaquinta/Toni

So basically, it's the normal team without 2 players. Who will they be? Will they make a difference? Camo and Cassano?
Gattuso, unless he keeps playing this way, will also be a sure starter. He's Lippi's favorite.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
To weed out the bubble players like Gattusso, Rossi, Pepe, Quag, etc. Then he can leave them out with the excuse that they sucked in the CC. If those players do well then that's a bonus like Rossi. You don't want question marks next summer. Lippi is trying to avoid them. The same reason Dunga is playing guys that don't usually feature for Brazil.
Bingo.

If I had my choice, I'd add Toni to that list. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but he's had a chance to play decent minutes in the past two tournaments as well as qualifiers, and he hasn't done a thing.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Gattuso, unless he keeps playing this way, will also be a sure starter. He's Lippi's favorite.
I think Lippi will figure out pretty quickly that he can't play Gattuso and Zambrotta on the right side.

One of them will need to be sacrificed for younger legs.

Mar 10, 2009
The WC team was consisted of players born before 1980. Super talented players, who were great even when they were young. Players like Del Piero, Inzaghi, Totti, Buffon, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Nesta etc.
The ones born after 1980 were Amelia, Barzagli, Zaccardo, De Rossi and Gilardino.
Now who are the other quality players who are now 22,23, 24, 25 and are just as good as Del Piero or Nesta, Totti etc were at that age?

No man, there is lack of quality among players younger than 29, while those superstars who brought the WC are now either retired or way past it.

Not talking about De Rossi. I said that he is the only one on par with his predecessors. (Chiellini is also good but not exactly Nesta or Maldini).

But i believe those two have more talent compared to some others. So that's the hope for Italy. The guys born in the 1990's. Because the 1980's generations sucked :smile:

but are you expecting any current 23 year olds (from any nation) to compare to the likes of maldini etc Its not fair singling out italy. Im not saying italy are the best team, im just some ppl are over reacting. I feel that italy do have some young players who could fill their boots, as long as they are given the chance :tup:

Jul 10, 2006
I think we are in store for another 2-0 loss to Brazil come Sunday considering the way they have been playing.

For as badly as Italy played today and as solid as Egypt was, the Azzurri still were unfortunate not to at least draw.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Anyway there is no doubt, Had Cassano played in attack (for Quag) and D'Ago or even Marchisio in Midfield (for Rino) Italy would have been much stronger.
How can there be no doubt?

You are just speculating, so there is inevitably some doubt.

If there was no doubt about these things in football, everyone would pick the same starting players.

Mar 30, 2006

Lets be fair.. Inzaghi, DP, Nesta had minimal impact in the WC.

You just need a solid team with one or 2 stand out players.. in the WC we had Canna, Pirlo, Buffon and to a lesser extent the fullbacks at their best.. the rest of the squad was playing decent.

If Italy can have a De Rossi, Chiellini, Cassano, Rossi ath their peak and other players playing well .. then there is no reason they cant be contenders.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Drop it, as much as I like Marchisio, he isn't yet ready for the senior team starting spot. My hope he will be included to the WC squad, and if he performs well enough maybe eve a starting spot to try out. But now, he isn't ready in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)