FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (46 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
Oh please. Gilardino was given more than enough chances in Milan. For almost 2 years he was a sure starter. Only when Ronaldo came and during his third season he didn't start all the time (but still played a lot).

Just face it, there is no top quality, and even if there are 1 or 2 such talents, it's far from enough.

gilardino scored 17 league goals for his first season at milan, which is pretty good. It was the season when they sold shevchenko that he turned bad. Milan stopped believing in him, and started relying on one striker with kaka just behind.

Look at gilardino at fioretina, he's been pretty decent. Not as good as he used to be at parma, but decent

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It happens, but not at the rate you state. We're playing ITALY the world champions we must do this and we're without our 3 strikers. If you mean before this match, Egypt use this tactic, but it depends on the match. Our players do not fall and cry after every tackle. I think you mixed up between Egypt and Tunisia.
It makes sense to use the tactic, but it was a bit much tonight.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Marceℓℓo;2040882 said:
I'd probably try something like this at the WC 2010,depending on how the players evolve,obviously.

Buffon
Motta Bocchetti Chiellini Santon
Marchisio Cigarini De Rossi
G.Rossi Cassano
Iaquinta/Pazzini

Even if we probably wouldn't win a flowerpot with that squad 2010,I'd risk it to be strong at the following tornaments.It won't happen though,Lippi should have introduced the likes of Marchisio,Motta,Bocchetti etc a long time ago.Too late,now we're stuck with the likes of Pepe etc.

:oops:

Agreed.
I agree. And we should have started this with this Confederations Cup Tournament. Instead Lippi is engineering some sort of diabolical plan I'm told...

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
You mean at the EURO?
But as shitty as they were, they almost made it to the semis. Spain's team was classes better but still it went to roulette in the end and Italy were eliminated on penalties.

You know that penalties are 50-50 and if Italy went to the semis (where they'd have met Russia) anything would have happened till the end.
The only clear chance in that Italy V. Spain matchup was a ridiculous Cassilas save on Camo. It really could have gone either way.

Italy are now being severely underrated on this board - especially given their current tactician.

Plus, I think Seven is on to something.

Really, this was the last tournament for Lippi to trust his Champions before the WC. There will be significant changes in the next year...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think everybody knows Lippi's backline for next summer. In some ways, I think it's the only reason why we signed Cannavaro and probably will sign Grosso.

If we end up signing Motta because of this plan, I'll like it more. But it will be Zambrottoe at RB for sure.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The only clear chance in that Italy V. Spain matchup was a ridiculous Cassilas save on Camo. It really could have gone either way.

Italy are now being severely underrated on this board - especially given their current tactician.

Really, this was the last tournament for Lippi to trust his Champions before the WC. There will be significant changes in the next year...
Because he will be forced to make them. Awful results and media pressure will not allow him to keep trotting out these gargoyles.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
gilardino scored 17 league goals for his first season at milan, which is pretty good. It was the season when they sold shevchenko that he turned bad.
I think 14 or 15 of those goals were in the first 19 rounds of the season. He started playing bad even while Sheva was there.

Anyway, i still don't get your point. Sheva or no Sheva, 2 men attack or 1 man attack, he was still playing.
It's his fault only.

In these last 7-8 generations of Italian players no-one, apart from De Rossi and maybe Cassano (but only talent-wise), comes even close to his predecessors.

There is no goalkeeper even close to Buffon's quality, no full back as good as Zambrotta in his prime, or as Maldini (maybe Santon will be the one, but big maybe).
No CB even close to Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Baresi. No champion close to Del Piero or Totti. There is no playmaker as Pirlo in his prime.

I don't see such players even in the current u-21 squad.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I think everybody knows Lippi's backline for next summer. In some ways, I think it's the only reason why we signed Cannavaro and probably will sign Grosso.

If we end up signing Motta because of this plan, I'll like it more. But it will be Zambrottoe at RB for sure.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Santon slip in there ahead of both Zambrotta and Motta. I've been impressed basically every time I've seen him play, and Lippi's recent comments on Santon are extremely positive.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008

add me with Seven.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's all for the good of the Azzurri. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Santon slip in there ahead of both Zambrotta and Motta. I've been impressed basically every time I've seen him play, and Lippi's recent comments on Santon are extremely positive.
Perhaps, but I don't see either of them starting.

The old Fogeys they have known for years will play if they're healthy.

May 22, 2007
Marceℓℓo;2040882 said:
Buffon
Motta Bocchetti Chiellini Santon
Marchisio Cigarini De Rossi
G.Rossi Cassano
Iaquinta/Pazzini
I like the back line. Bocchetti I need to see more of, and I think Cannavaro has his spot.

The rest I like too, probably D'Agostino for Cigarini if the former joins us and has a season like he just had.

Mar 30, 2006
Marchisio, Rossi and prob Santon will make the WC squad and I think Boccheti and Cassano may as well.

But the thing I am most worried about is that Italy were not outplayed really so they might just say that "we played well.. losses happen but we chould have won the game"

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
:

Perhaps, but I don't see either of them starting.

The old Fogeys they have known for years will play if they're healthy.
Could be, Andy. Still, he was training with the first team earlier in the Confed preparation, Lippi has hailed him as being a future Italian superstar/legend in the making and he's going to be first choice for the 2008-09 Italian Champions next year.

I'd bet that he starts at one of those fullback slots regardless, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Zambro or Grosso are hurt...:D

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Why would he do that?
To weed out the bubble players like Gattusso, Rossi, Pepe, Quag, etc. Then he can leave them out with the excuse that they sucked in the CC. If those players do well then that's a bonus like Rossi. You don't want question marks next summer. Lippi is trying to avoid them. The same reason Dunga is playing guys that don't usually feature for Brazil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)