Felipe Melo (12 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's actually not that complicated. Him winning the ball back and maintaining possession helps alot actually. His presence in the center also allows other players to move forward.

He doesn't have to be playing 30 yard passes to help out the attack.
But he didn't really help maintain possession any more than Marchisio, Kyle. Both he and marchisio had 85% passing completion rates. marchisio also won the ball back, but wasn't able to do so as much as melo because Marchisio was stuck on the fucking left side of the pitch. Melo was just always right in the middle where all the action was for the majority of the games. He is already at an advantage there because while he can get stuck in, claudio is out on the left.

Melo did not help the attack at all. If anything he probably helped the defense. You could try and make the claim that sissoko helped the attack with that argument but we all know that never happened.

marchisio scored 4 goals, with 4 assists...if anything it was he that helped the attack, not melo.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Rollie just destroyed my post. I'll reply in a min bruh
it's not about destroying or anything like that buddy. Just good to have civil conversation. I have to go make some chicken for the fam, etc., so I'll be on later tonight. Leave something, and I'll reply to it after.

Have a good one.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Marchisio did that..On more than one occasion melo lost the ball in dangerous positions.
And? We gave away possession deep in our own half countless times last season, so many players were guilty of this.

And attacking Melo for not contributing offensively last season is stupid because none of our CM's did. Anyone who watched Juventus last season would have seen that Del Neri clearly instructed his CM's (including Aquilani and the great Marchisio) to remain stationery in the center, not make forward runs or pressure high up the pitch. He was even trying to play Aquilani in this role FFS.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Kasaki, c'mon buddy - you know that stats don't tell the whole story in football, right? I would rate many of Marchisio's intangibles above melo, and those aren't recorded in statistics.

It doesn't make sense to strictly judge players based on a comparison of statistics between a DM, and a box to box, right? It makes even less sense to do it when one has been played out of position for most of the last year.

Contrary to Janna's belief, stats can definitely lie, they can easily be misleading.

I like Claudio a lot, I always back him up in his thread. He is underrated on this site, IMO. He is clean in possession, he would certainly benefit from continuity, a proper LB, and some more movement up front.

Those goals he scored were important goals, but let's not get carried away and say that this guy is a "clutch player," until he does it consistently, season in and season out, in big games. As much as I like the guy, I haven't seen enough to call him a clutch player - not by a long shot.

Also, at the end of this point, you say 'not to take anything away from melo', while criticizing him. That's not particularly logical... but you're right in that he does occasionally get a little too cute with the ball.

Forget Melo as a "good long ball passer," or whatever you've 'heard' he's supposed to be. Sure, he's not the greatest player going forward. The guy is a crazy beast of a destroyer though, with above average passing and technical ability (when you compare him to destroyers). Just appreciate what you know he is, and recognize the value he brings in that capacity. He's steel, and passion.

C'mon buddy, Marchisio is one of my favorites - I constantly defended him in his thread all season long - but I really find it impossible to accept that Melo wasn't far more influential on our matches during this past season.

As for Sissoko doing the job Melo does... the guy can't pass 5 yards, hasn't been fit in what seems like forever, and certainly cannot do the job that Felipe Melo can do. You think Melo has problems with ball retention, well the soaker is a turnover machine. He has way less technical quality than Melo.

What does the statement, "Credit for saving this season goes to Quagliarella and Matri. Quag was our rise and downfall, while Matri helped stabilize a sinking ship," even mean? We came 7th and didn't qualify for Europe at all. We're talking about what was effectively the worst season in Juventus' history, right? How was it saved? I don't understand.

Melo may be hot headed, but a lot of people let some of his poor decisions - and he has made some VERY poor decisions - influence their valuation of the player's ability a little too much. We're going to miss this guy, and if Sissoko is gone as well (which he should be, given performances/fitness), then this midfield is going to be lacking physicality big time.
Sissoko was a beast of a destroyer too and that didn't get us very far. Melo is an upgrade to sissoko in that he can pass the ball better. Both make rash challenges, stupid tackles in the wrong place of the pitch, and hell both have even been a factor in this teams poor possession rates. It doesn't do us any good to win the ball over and over again only to lose it over and over again.

Sure, if Melo/Sissoko both leave we will be lacking physically but Vidal is going to be tough (IMO like Davids was) but we will have 4 touch defenders behind to out muscle when necessary. We may have a weak midfield physically but if our team is able to HOLD THE FRICKIN' BALL then that will more than make up for having muscle but no brains.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Kasaki, c'mon buddy - you know that stats don't tell the whole story in football, right? I would rate many of Marchisio's intangibles above melo, and those aren't recorded in statistics.

It doesn't make sense to strictly judge players based on a comparison of statistics between a DM, and a box to box, right? It makes even less sense to do it when one has been played out of position for most of the last year.

Contrary to Janna's belief, stats can definitely lie, they can easily be misleading.
I agree with you to a certain extent in regards to stats being misleading at times. However credit must be given where it's due. Ignoring stats would be like ignoring logic. Should we just put good faith in that melo is more productive than marchisio when stats told otherwise.?

I previously stated that whomever brung up the comparison between the two was misinformed. You can't compare the two that's what I'm trying to say. Should we compare a SS and a pure goal scorer ? No. Same with Melo and Marchisio but since this has been brought up i'm more than happy to discuss this. And the fact that Marchisio was able to adjust to a LM position is just a testament to his versatility .

I like Claudio a lot, I always back him up in his thread. He is underrated on this site, IMO. He is clean in possession, he would certainly benefit from continuity, a proper LB, and some more movement up front.

Those goals he scored were important goals, but let's not get carried away and say that this guy is a "clutch player," until he does it consistently, season in and season out, in big games. As much as I like the guy, I haven't seen enough to call him a clutch player - not by a long shot.

Also, at the end of this point, you say 'not to take anything away from melo', while criticizing him. That's not particularly logical... but you're right in that he does occasionally get a little too cute with the ball.
I'm assuming that when I say "clutch" you think on the terms of a forward? For a midfielder he does come in at crucial times. I'm not entirely sure what minute his goal against inter was but that was imo a clutch goal. Yes, he needs to get more consistent throughout the season. This is something we have all agreed on.

By what I meant in regards to the melo comment was...He does at times lose possession but he makes up for it with his ability to gain it back.
Forget Melo as a "good long ball passer," or whatever you've 'heard' he's supposed to be. Sure, he's not the greatest player going forward. The guy is a crazy beast of a destroyer though, with above average passing and technical ability (when you compare him to destroyers). Just appreciate what you know he is, and recognize the value he brings in that capacity. He's steel, and passion.

C'mon buddy, Marchisio is one of my favorites - I constantly defended him in his thread all season long - but I really find it impossible to accept that Melo wasn't far more influential on our matches during this past season.

As for Sissoko doing the job Melo does... the guy can't pass 5 yards, hasn't been fit in what seems like forever, and certainly cannot do the job that Felipe Melo can do. You think Melo has problems with ball retention, well the soaker is a turnover machine. He has way less technical quality than Melo.

What does the statement, "Credit for saving this season goes to Quagliarella and Matri. Quag was our rise and downfall, while Matri helped stabilize a sinking ship," even mean? We came 7th and didn't qualify for Europe at all. Were talking about what was effectively the worst season in Juventus' history, right? How was it saved? I don't understand.

Melo may be a hot headed, but a lot of people let some of his poor decisions - and he has made some VERY poor decisions - influence their valuation of the player's ability a little too much. We're going to miss this guy, and if Sissoko is gone as well (which he should be, given performances/fitness), then this midfield is going to be lacking physicality big time.
Melo is a DM correct? Let's compare him to one of my fav DM's. Lassana Diarra. It would be unfair to compare stats as one plays more than another. Also in regards to assists Melo's stats aren't to flattering. However, Diarra is a capable long range passer. So is zanetti. And Nuri Sahin (yes,he's a DM).

I stated that finishing 7th wasn't an accomplisment, but I credit Quag until his injury we were 2nd? And without matri that second half of the season would have gone to hell. At the end of the day , we got no EL or CL either way ( a blessing in disguise).

I doubt Sissoko is leaving, and the idea that the team needs a brute DM has been squashed by teams like Barca and Man Utd (fletcher may be considered brute though) All we need is a working system

Did I forget to reply to anything else?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
marchisio is highly underrated
It depends on who you speak to. Of course Marchisio is highly underrated to someone like Bezares. But there's a reason why someone like me doesn't rate him very highly.

Not taking anything away from melo though..

Credit for saving this season goes to Quagliarella and Matri. Quag was our rise and downfall, while Matri helped stabilize a sinking ship. Which Melo didn't help with his rash actions during the campaign.
Which rash decisions apart from the Parma red card?

I've never seen anybody actually list those rash decisions, one by one, that everyone always likes to bring up. Most of it is either probably myth or mixed in from the previous season.

And looks like your whole post was taking something away from Melo.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Can't get too worked up about Melo going.

If the price is okay - not less than 15m - and a proper replacement is signed, I don't see the problem.

Then again, I never liked Melo.
Thats the way I see it too.

The way people go on about Melo on these boards, its like we're selling Iniesta or something.

If we get 13-15, and Vidal as replacement, I'll be happy.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Thats the way I see it too.

The way people go on about Melo on these boards, its like we're selling Iniesta or something.

If we get 13-15, and Vidal as replacement, I'll be happy.
Problem with that is Melo isn't the problem and we're losing a good player because of it, someone who is improving. We should be getting rid of the problem players like Iaquinta and Pepe instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)