Felipe Melo (158 Viewers)

mondo1

May 14, 2006
if selling melo and buying vidal is what they think will get us a cl place don't wonder if conte is not here till next summer and we start looking for new excuses....
just wait till vidal gets his first red card and all the failure is blamed on him...
with prilo getting injured i can't wait to see marchisio pazienza in midfield ....

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I hate when people say that. You have to take into consideration that he played for us for a year. Ever heard of depreciation of assets? He signed a 5 year contract if I remember correctly. 24.5/5=Roughly 5 million a year. So his services were valued at around 5 million per year. So the value of his contract at the end of the campaign was 19.5 million (4 years left). Loss of around 4-5 million, not 9.
Also you need to take into consideration his performances for Wolfsburg. Didn't Marotta do the right thing selling him for 15.5 million now knowing how he did in Germany? I think so.
Amortization is a concept used for accounting purposes. Just because it's used to balance books, doesn't mean it's justifiable to continually buy players and then sell them a year or two later for a heavy loss. Especially when the players are some of our better performers. You have to take into account all the factors of the transaction.

Also, in regards to Diego at Wolfsburg... don't you think think that you should consider the fact that he was playing for his 3rd team in three years?

Think about how dysfunctional the last two teams the guy has played for have been - management, right down to the trainers. Wolfsburg got rid of a couple of their very best players, hired an absolutely mediocre coach - who was rightly dismissed mid-season - and only avoided relegation on the last day of the season.

You understand Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga in 2008/09, right? All of a sudden the team is completely in shambles... don't you think that there are a lot of variables in this equation that you're not considering? Obviously, there are massive internal issues at that club.

The player has lost his confidence, and needs a stable environment more than anything else - clearly his discipline issues are a result of frustration from his performances, which is largely due to so much instability at the clubs; he wasn't having discipline issues at Juve; he was working his butt off, and playing in whatever position he was asked to play in.

Anyway, sorry for the Diego rant, I know everyone is tired of hearing it.

Unfortunately, I'm tired of seeing us sell some of our best performers at a considerable loss. This pattern is infuriating for me.

I'll definitely miss Melo.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
Amortization is a concept used for accounting purposes. Just because it's used to balance books, doesn't mean it's justifiable to continually buy players and then sell them a year or two later for a heavy loss. Especially when the players are some of our better performers. You have to take into account all the factors of the transaction.

Also, in regards to Diego at Wolfsburg... don't you think think that you should consider the fact that he was playing for his 3rd team in three years?

Think about how dysfunctional the last two teams the guy has played for have been - management, right down to the trainers. Wolfsburg got rid of a couple of their very best players, hired an absolutely mediocre coach - who was rightly dismissed mid-season - and only avoided relegation on the last day of the season.

You understand Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga in 2008/09, right? All of a sudden the team is completely in shambles... don't you think that there are a lot of variables in this equation that you're not considering? Obviously, there are massive internal issues at that club.

The player has lost his confidence, and needs a stable environment more than anything else - clearly his discipline issues are a result of frustration from his performances, which is largely due to so much instability at the clubs; he wasn't having discipline issues at Juve; he was working his butt off, and playing in whatever position he was asked to play in.

Anyway, sorry for the Diego rant, I know everyone is tired of hearing it.

Unfortunately, I'm tired of seeing us sell some of our best performers at a considerable loss. This pattern is infuriating for me.

I'll definitely miss Melo.
First of all amortization is used in accounting because it is supposed to reflect how an asset loses it value over (and to distribute the cost of the asset over the time it is used) . A five year contract is not worth the same as a four year contract. That's just common sense. Depreciation is used on the balance sheet to reflect that. So yes, amortization is an accounting concept but it is supposed to reflect real changes in value as well. You can argue that value can increase over time (what if the player gets better? Not in Diego's case though), and there are methods in accounting that deal with that but that is beside the point.

I think most of your Diego points are valid but they can be turned upside down. Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga in 2008/2009 and have gone downhill since then, true. They got rid of good players but if Diego is a great player he could have done a little something to undo the effect that those departures had on the team. He didn't.
Diego will be playing for his 4th team in four years now. Like you said, it could be said that he hasn't had time to adjust to one team and therefore he doesn't perform. It could also be asked, why is he playing for his fourth team in four years? Why is he always being sold? Why does his value decrease every time? It's much more likely that he isn't such a good player than every team/coach being wrong about him.

But yes, Diego wasn't a bad player for us. But even being one of the better performers in a very very bad Juventus team doesn't make him a gem either.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
what made you think it was going to be easy or great to begin with? all the reports of us having 70 million or whatever the budget is is absoulte bs and publicity stunt to calm down the fans.
even if we have 70 mil that would not change much if you sign rossi for 30 mil ;)
40 mil left for filling all the holes good luck with that

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
As long as we get a better replñacement ill not complain.

As cool and as crazy as melo was, he also was vey unstable and red card prone when he lost his cool....which was very coomon,.

He was taking all the club issues to another personal level and i hate players that cant keep their cool and think straight.
Bye bye melo

He was one of secco´s bethren after all so ...

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
even if we have 70 mil that would not change much if you sign rossi for 30 mil ;)
40 mil left for filling all the holes good luck with that
there aren't that many holes. the main issue of the team was fullbacks, a cb, a winger, and a distrubter. we got our fullbacks and distributer, now it is left winger and a cb that we need. which seeing as how long it is taking toget them, plus us focusing on replacing melo telms the money report was a pr stunt to calm the fans down.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
He is fukin mad and unstable... he can go and get 5 straight red cards if things go wrong in the firsy games.

You cant count on sensitive guys like Melo.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Can't get too worked up about Melo going.

If the price is okay - not less than 15m - and a proper replacement is signed, I don't see the problem.

Then again, I never liked Melo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 158)