Felipe Melo (70 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Some of the Marchisio loving in here is a joke. How you can possibly rate him over Melo based on yesterdays performance is beyond me.

He completed passes? Yeah lateral passes that did shit all going forward. He held his shape well? That means nothing if you don't move well of the ball and work hard. He did not work hard yesterday he hasn't for a while and that shows in his performances.

Melo however, has been working his arse off and for how often he is winning and passing the ball his efficiency is not all that bad. The guy deserves some credit finally.
What is better: charging around 60 yards to little of no effect or effectively running 10 yards?

I don't understand why people don't give credit for good positional play and ball retention, but are all desperate to praise players who run around all day, show passion and make lots of mistakes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The problem with what I saw on Sunday was that Melo had to do a lot of playmaking. He became isolated quite a lot, especially in the first half, where he found himself having to make 20 to 30 yard passes or switching the ball. As we saw last season, maybe he doesn't have the ability to do that. But this is the problem with this system... the CM's will become isolated and have to make longer passes, that's just the nature of the system, more so than others.

Of course, it doesn't help that the partner in midfield goes missing for most of the match and doesn't do much showing for the ball. Marchisio needs to impose himself far more than he does at the moment. He needs to show for the ball, especially when Sissoko or Melo are out there, two players who need to keep the passing simple.

We need Aquilani to be fit and inserted into the midfield. Whether you take out Melo or Marchisio depending on the opposition and match situation, at least we will have one player in there who is adept at distribution.

Massive amount of work ahead of them.

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
The problem with what I saw on Sunday was that Melo had to do a lot of playmaking. He became isolated quite a lot, especially in the first half, where he found himself having to make 20 to 30 yard passes or switching the ball. As we saw last season, maybe he doesn't have the ability to do that. But this is the problem with this system... the CM's will become isolated and have to make longer passes, that's just the nature of the system, more so than others.

Of course, it doesn't help that the partner in midfield goes missing for most of the match and doesn't do much showing for the ball. Marchisio needs to impose himself far more than he does at the moment. He needs to show for the ball, especially when Sissoko or Melo are out there, two players who need to keep the passing simple.

We need Aquilani to be fit and inserted into the midfield. Whether you take out Melo or Marchisio depending on the opposition and match situation, at least we will have one player in there who is adept at distribution.

:tup:

Zidaninho

Aug 31, 2010
Some of the Marchisio loving in here is a joke. How you can possibly rate him over Melo based on yesterdays performance is beyond me.

He completed passes? Yeah lateral passes that did shit all going forward. He held his shape well? That means nothing if you don't move well of the ball and work hard. He did not work hard yesterday he hasn't for a while and that shows in his performances.

Melo however, has been working his arse off and for how often he is winning and passing the ball his efficiency is not all that bad. The guy deserves some credit finally.
Ditto

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
What is better: charging around 60 yards to little of no effect or effectively running 10 yards?

I don't understand why people don't give credit for good positional play and ball retention, but are all desperate to praise players who run around all day, show passion and make lots of mistakes.
But that's the thing. Melo worked his arse off and it was more effective. Marchisio didn't and he did nothing for the team. Its not good enough to stay in position and make lateral passes all day. Melo is the more defensive of the two he shouldn't be forced to make play due to Marchisio's laziness. Of course you're going to make more mistakes if you have the ball 50% more and you're actually attempting to use it.

Pretty much summarising what I've been arguing since sunday :tup:.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
That's an easy one: passionate, conspicuous players are preferred over calm, inconspicuous players.

And again I read that Marchisio did NOTHING for the team, yet I am the one who was being labelled as an unfair judge. Nice.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
That's an easy one: passionate, conspicuous players are preferred over calm, inconspicuous players.

And again I read that Marchisio did NOTHING for the team, yet I am the one who was being labelled as an unfair judge. Nice.
Well what did he do except for staying in his position and making nothing passes? Oh, how composed. He can pass left, right and backwards.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Why people are mentioning that we were so close conceding a goal in the first half and that's because of Melo's mistake? It would be a mistake if he misplaced the ball or tried passing or even tried dribbling and failed but the man simply slipped down and it's not like one slips down on purpose.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
that is true but he had a horrible 1st half...if i go down to the commentary thread where i wrote with jack i will count like at least 10 wrong passes from him.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

People don't give credit because they don't understand what it takes to have good positional play and ball retention and what that would do to help the team. As soon as someone gets the ball people here automatically assume he needs to do something magnificent or else the player will be lambasted as lethargic

Melo hasn't been "that bad" lately with distribution, he has good ideas just random mistakes which put us under pressure. But what I did see a few times was he held onto the ball too long in dangerous areas which goes to what you just said about Marchisio making space to receive the ball. Hopefully DN see's this as an opportunity to fix. I was pleased with what I saw in the game as our ball movement had improved drastically, we should look to get Krasic more involved but Pepe had a great game.

Personally I would rather see Aquilani and Marchisio as they IMO compliment each other more. I can see them being on the same page easier.
Why people are mentioning that we were so close conceding a goal in the first half and that's because of Melo's mistake? It would be a mistake if he misplaced the ball or tried passing or even tried dribbling and failed but the man simply slipped down and it's not like one slips down on purpose.
Did you see him boot the ball out of bounds trying to switch the field of play? That is one mistake where he gave possession away for the team to throw it right to Cassano's feet. Not to mention the "slip" that could have been avoided if he gave the ball away more quickly. (Answer to that is in Andy's post.) Regardless, there is no reason why Melo couldn't communicate for someone to make a move for ball distribution either. Melo can't do everything himself so he should stop trying and if he is going to be labelled as a "leader" then he needs to start communicating more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 68)