Feher is dead :(:(:( (2 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I have no words :down: it's so sad to see something like this happening again :down: A young and healty guy is not suppose to die 4 heart attak. Ther's something wrong in sport lately. Sport schould not bring anybody to dead :down:

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
LISBON : Hungarian striker Miklos Feher became the second international footballer in the last seven months to die during a game when he collapsed after being yellow-carded while playing for Benfica.

The 24-year-old Feher, who had come on as a substitute after 60 minutes, was rushed to hospital but died shortly after.

He had just been sanctioned in injury-time for time-wasting after Portuguese giants Benfica had taken a late 1-0 lead over Vitoria Guimaraes in a league match.

Football fans watched on television and at the stadium in Guimaraes, located some 320 kilometres (180 miles) north of Lisbon, as doctors tried to save an apparently unconscious Feher as he lay on the muddy field.

His Benfica team-mates, including coach Jose Antonio Camacho, wept or prayed as they paced the pitch in the driving rain before an ambulance arrived nine minutes after Feher collapsed to take the player to hospital where he was declared dead at 11:10 p.m. (2310 GMT).

Benfica and Guimaraes said in a joint statement Feher was treated for a heart attack for about 90 minutes before he died.

Doctors at the hospital in Guimaraes are performing an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

After the autopsy is completed, Feher's body will be taken to Lisbon where it will be available for viewing at Benfica's new 65,000-seat stadium where fans have been laying candles and flowers since the news of his death.

Feher's parents, brother and fiance arrived in Portugal on Monday and will accompany his body back to Hungary where the player's funeral will take place on Wednesday.

The player was reportedly set to get married in June. Benfica said in a statement it would rent a plane to take the entire squad to Hungary for the funeral.

"He was very well-liked, very polite," Feher's manager Jose Veiga told Portuguese radio TSF. "He had absolutely no malice."

The Portuguese Football Federation said there would be a minute of silence at the start of next weekend's league games in honour of the player, who had lived in Portugal since he was 18.

His sudden death dominated newspaper headlines in Portugal on Monday, with all three sports dailies featuring front pages draped in mourning black.

"Death on live television," the daily Diario de Noticias said above a photo of Feher as he fell, while sports daily A Bola featured a photo of the player smiling just seconds before he collapsed above the headline: "The last smile of Miklos Feher." (at least he left the world with a smile)

Asked by reporters about the amount of time it took for the ambulance to arrive to take the player off the pitch, Portuguese secretary of state for sport Herminio Loureiro said everything was done to save his life.

"The information I have at the moment indicates everything was done, and I mean everything, at the hospital and stadium to avoid this tragic end," he said.

Feher's death was similar to that of Cameroon midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe who died in June after collapsing during a Confederations Cup semi-final against Colombia in France. He was suffering from a heart condition.

Feher moved to Portugal in the 1998/98 season from Hungary's Gyor Eto to play for FC Porto.

He was signed by Benfica in 2002 after loan spells at Salgueiros and Braga and had scored seven goals for Hungary in 25 international matches.

Feher during international duty with Hungary
RIP Feher :down:

Aug 27, 2003
i woke up today all happy hoping for a bright day as it hasnt rained for like a year now and i open the news to read this tragic death!
my God he left a 2 week son! thats just sad:frown:
may his sole ret in peace!

i coudlnt get over viven foe and we find 7 mothns later feher death

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Because we live in a damn rotten world, mate. A damn rotten world.

A commentator on Dutch TV gave a comforting comment that I want to share with you here:

"His soul was already half way to heaven before his body fell to the earth. It is a swift way to die and one you would sign for at age 84 but this man had a good 60 years still to go.

I would say something to comfort you, good viewer, but not a single language on earth has words that can describe the pain and sorrow of those he leaves behind.

Indeed a black day for football. Rest in peace, Feher."

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
Because we live in a damn rotten world, mate. A damn rotten world.

A commentator on Dutch TV gave a comforting comment that I want to share with you here:

"His soul was already half way to heaven before his body fell to the earth. It is a swift way to die and one you would sign for at age 84 but this man had a good 60 years still to go.

I would say something to comfort you, good viewer, but not a single language on earth has words that can describe the pain and sorrow of those he leaves behind.

Indeed a black day for football. Rest in peace, Feher."
So true words..........:broken:

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
its kinda ironic here cos i never hears his name before but now....i really want to know bout him. i search every news bout him. and my friend said "Feher is more famous now when he's dead than before"

:(

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
++ [ originally posted by juvetrainer ] ++
its kinda ironic here cos i never hears his name before but now....i really want to know bout him. i search every news bout him. and my friend said "Feher is more famous now when he's dead than before"

For us he was famous before as well. He was the most talented young player. He was just 19 when he went to play to Portugal. And only 20 when he played for the Hungarian NT for the first time.

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by juvetrainer ] ++

I found nothing ironic in it. He was a talented player, not a new Pelé, but talented enough to be signed by Porto (at the age 18), then by Benfica and he was close to move to Sporting. So may he was not world class, but good enough to be signed by Portugals biggest clubs. In his homeland he was famous, and much liked. As far as I remember he was always kind with the media, was always smiling and he was always professional (which is quite rare among hungarian players).

Sad, really sad to use past tense...

Thanx for the thread.

you can send your codolences at :
www.fehermiklos.hu/index.php?ugras=hirolvaso&hirszama=4122&nyelv=0

or at: www.sl-benfica.com

Aug 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
he'd probably rather be alive than famous...
this world works in very mesterious way i guess and well i do belive so i mena if time was given to him he would have made it out
i mean come on he is in benfica and thats a very good team!
so i think if he still had a lil time left to shine maybe we would hear of him!

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
What a sad thing to hear about Miki :cry: He's so young...and has a bright career ahead of him. 24...that's like my age! :eek:

Do you think football can do anything to prevent such things? I heard that in NFL, after Korey Stringer's death of heat-stroke, measures were taken for the players to be properly hydrated. In F1 after Ayrton Senna's death, the FIA and the other racing league took measures to make the cars safer and succeeded - (Kenny Bräck's horrific crash last year which he wouldn't have been able to survive ten years ago). In the NHL after Brittany Cecil died due to a stray puck, the NHL put up netting throughout the rink. But can football do anything like that?

What I feel is...to give them more medicals if need be. I heard that on Hungarian TV (I think) saying it's too expensive to perform these examinations :rolleyes:. Who cares how expensive these things are - life is more important than money anyway ! The thing is, sometimes your medical report doesn't show any kind of problems. It can give you a perfect health record and yet things like what happened to Foe and Miki can happen .

-S-

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Thanks again Aca.

-S-, the only thing they can do is check for heart defects, and even then, there's not much they can do other than give the player the option of retiring early.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Very sad night in football I would say. Tragic. Heart-breaking.

I was shocked when I saw the images in the news yesterday. He was smiling just before collapsing down. And watching his teammates and coach cry in despair while the whole stadium chant his name while he was laying down was just terrible.

The young lad was planning to get married soon from his fiance and now leaves here a 2 week old baby. He had a good life ahead of him but unfortunately this happens.

My sympathies go out to all Benfica and Hungary fans, Feher's family, friends and teammates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)