Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
@Hustini

Calciopoli is a fair point but in what way? Take juve 2003 CL final team for example. How many youngsters that team had? You can maybe only mention Buffon and he was 25 by then.

If we talk just before 2006. I guess Zlatan was sort of young but not italian. Chiellini and Balzaretti were the only youngsters involved with Capello Juve. And id argue calciopoli actually benefited Chiellini. If calciopoli hadnt happened Cannavaro and Thuram would have played couple more seasons and Moggi would have bought some proven name replacements by 2008 as Cannavaro decline kicked in.

I remember we were very close to selling Chiellini abroad around 06-08 summers.

Its a fairer point if you actually believe in calciopoli as in teams were too busy fixing games and results and reps rather than growing youth.

Its possible Marchisio would never have established himself here as well if calciopoli didnt happen. Think about it. Moggi and Capello Juve rarely gave young players chance. Im talking about bringing up within the club not buying Zlatan or Buffon relatively young.

So thats why i dont completely see the calciopoli argument working at this stage going into 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

Id argue that calciopoli could have been an opportunity which has been missed if we talk the whole Italy. Instead Juve has moved forwards since then and is one of the more modern and best run clubs in world football now. Meanwhile our "rivals" have stagnated or struggle to make changes including building new high standard stadiums and so on.

The fact that crooks like Tavecchio even get into these positions is alarming. These should have ex pros or people with vision and higher education backround involved like our own Andrea Agnelli.
Although i do remember people in these same forums being against Albertini getting that same position which Tavecchio got. Maybe it was the Milan roots bias.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@Hustini

Calciopoli is a fair point but in what way? Take juve 2003 CL final team for example. How many youngsters that team had? You can maybe only mention Buffon and he was 25 by then.

If we talk just before 2006. I guess Zlatan was sort of young but not italian. Chiellini and Balzaretti were the only youngsters involved with Capello Juve. And id argue calciopoli actually benefited Chiellini. If calciopoli hadnt happened Cannavaro and Thuram would have played couple more seasons and Moggi would have bought some proven name replacements by 2008 as Cannavaro decline kicked in.

I remember we were very close to selling Chiellini abroad around 06-08 summers.

Its a fairer point if you actually believe in calciopoli as in teams were too busy fixing games and results and reps rather than growing youth.

Its possible Marchisio would never have established himself here as well if calciopoli didnt happen. Think about it. Moggi and Capello Juve rarely gave young players chance. Im talking about bringing up within the club not buying Zlatan or Buffon relatively young.

So thats why i dont completely see the calciopoli argument working at this stage going into 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

Id argue that calciopoli could have been an opportunity which has been missed if we talk the whole Italy. Instead Juve has moved forwards since then and is one of the more modern and best run clubs in world football now. Meanwhile our "rivals" have stagnated or struggle to make changes including building new high standard stadiums and so on.

The fact that crooks like Tavecchio even get into these positions is alarming. These should have ex pros or people with vision and higher education backround involved like our own Andrea Agnelli.
Although i do remember people in these same forums being against Albertini getting that same position which Tavecchio got. Maybe it was the Milan roots bias.
Why couldn’t you have posted this last night when i was at home?:D

No way i can reply to this gigantic post from my phone I’ll will tonight. Good points :tup:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Further more point is that if we talk youngsters. Smaller clubs should actually be more involved with it. Its not really about big clubs. Big clubs have the best players in their prime years with then an odd home grown player in the mix like with us with Marchisio.

Bayern has like Lahm or Müller in one decade but there is lot of emphasis in youth development in the entire league, hence by the time the players have grown there is that next step situation when they go to either Bayern or abroad. Goretzka is the next in line there.

In Italy only Atalanta youth section seems to be getting some credit. The smaller sides should put more into that aspect rather than just existing or surviving.

In essence cases like the Barca Tiki Taka generation of 00s are rare. We shouldnt just look at the next generation within Juve. Every club should be involved.

Juve doesnt have a single italian striker right now (Berna is not striker for me), but in the end Juve doesnt have as much time to really grow that next italian striker, when you are involved in winning and fighting for titles. That should be aim of sides like Atalanta, Sassuolo, Bologna, Udinese, etc.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
There aren't that many IT prospects I would like to join us anyway, even if I could cherry pick irrespective of price and background.

In the current roster... Donnarumma for long-term replacement of Buffon. Perhaps Jorginho, Belotti, Romagnoli and Insigne. Obviously Verratti.
Among the youth I am much more uncertain because I haven't watched them enough. Chiesa? Maybe? Barella? Is there anyone else?

How many IT players would be able to be a strong force in our team if exclude Verratti?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Falcao: Italy, look at Brazil. Ancelotti… | Football Italia

Brazil and Roma icon Paulo Roberto Falcao urges Italians to stop 'vilifying’ their young players and notes Carlo Ancelotti “is only missing a World Cup.”

Falcao launched the careers of several Brazilian World Cup winners in 1994 during his spell as the country’s CT between 1990 and 1991, and the former midfielder felt the time had come for Italy to stage a 'rebirth’ similar to that of the Selecao.

“It’s absurd that they’re not going to the World Cup, tragic even,” he told Corriere della Sera.

“Still, it’s time for Italy to have a rebirth and take stock. It’s not just one match but a malaise that started long ago.

“Young players? They’re always vilified in Italy. If they make two mistakes, they’re burned. We do things differently in Brazil.

“When I was CT in 1990, I launched [the international careers of] Marcio Santos, Mauro Silva and Leonardo when they were still not very well known.

“Ancelotti? As a player, he didn’t have the fabric of a Coach. He had a vision of playing but talked very little.

“The right man for Italy? I told him that he had to win a World Cup. That’s the only trophy he’s missing, although it won’t be for a while now…”

- - - Updated - - -

Its not like this is new to anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps that, too, is a signal of something not quite right in Italian football. The Azzurri traditionally put their faith in older heads, and Dino Zoff, Buffon’s great predecessor in goal for Juventus and Italy, was 41 when he played the last of his 112 full international matches, in May 1983 – curiously also in a defeat against Sweden which pushed them towards their failure to qualify for Euro 1984. But the youngest players in Gian Piero Ventura’s starting team in Milan were a pair of 25-year-olds.

It’s worth remembering that when Italy won the World Cup in Spain in 1982 they included, as well as the 40-year-old Zoff, the 18-year-old defender Giuseppe Bergomi, who went on to win 81 caps. Paolo Rossi, who scored in every round, was 25. The other eight members of the starting XI in the final against West Germany were all also still in their twenties.

You can spend all the time you want on trawling through the statistics but there is no definitive wisdom on the timing of a switch from experience to youth in international football. Germany made a fresh start some years ago, and it worked. England are trying a similar approach at the moment but it will be another World Cup, and possibly two, before anyone knows whether those heartening wins in the under-17 and under-20 World Cups this year can be turned into the harder currency of senior trophies.

The truth emerges only in hindsight, and that is what happened to Italy this week. They clung for too long on to an older generation. A poorly chosen coach did nothing to change the pattern and was unable to galvanise the squad in the way that his predecessor, Antonio Conte, might still have managed, had he stuck around. The necessary rebuilding of the squad will now start with the replacement of Buffon by the 18-year-old Gianluigi Donnarumma of Milan.
https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...buffon-italy-goalkeeper-fury-urchin-world-cup

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Juventus invest time and patience in Berna but we pass on Berardi as for the other flank :disagree: I'm happy with Cuadrado too but...wish we would've kept Giacherinni also.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Further more point is that if we talk youngsters. Smaller clubs should actually be more involved with it. Its not really about big clubs. Big clubs have the best players in their prime years with then an odd home grown player in the mix like with us with Marchisio.

Bayern has like Lahm or Müller in one decade but there is lot of emphasis in youth development in the entire league, hence by the time the players have grown there is that next step situation when they go to either Bayern or abroad. Goretzka is the next in line there.

In Italy only Atalanta youth section seems to be getting some credit. The smaller sides should put more into that aspect rather than just existing or surviving.

In essence cases like the Barca Tiki Taka generation of 00s are rare. We shouldnt just look at the next generation within Juve. Every club should be involved.

Juve doesnt have a single italian striker right now (Berna is not striker for me), but in the end Juve doesnt have as much time to really grow that next italian striker, when you are involved in winning and fighting for titles. That should be aim of sides like Atalanta, Sassuolo, Bologna, Udinese, etc.
One can say that from the big clubs in Italy Milan and Roma are doing fairly well with their youngsters. As for the Italian strikers we have Cerri and Kean.

- - - Updated - - -

Juventus invest time and patience in Berna but we pass on Berardi as for the other flank :disagree: I'm happy with Cuadrado too but...wish we would've kept Giacherinni also.
I think it could have been a good call to pass on Berardi. You can see the difference in attitude between him and Fede. The latter decided to join from a club that clearly hates us and when the competition is even bigger now.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Didn’t help them advance the group in 2010 or 2014 same thing happened

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not about ONLY qualifiying for the WC rather what you do when you get there.

I mean, no warning signs from two group exits in back to back WCs and not even making it to one?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s like after 2006 there was in instant decline. Night and day difference

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Didn’t help them advance the group in 2010 or 2014 same thing happened

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not about ONLY qualifiying for the WC rather what you do when you get there.

I mean, no warning signs from two group exits in back to back WCs and not even making it to one?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s like after 2006 there was in instant decline. Night and day difference
The "positive" performances in the Euros sandwiched in between those WCs masked those deficiencies quite nicely. In hindsight, Italy reaching the final in Euro 2012 and being eliminated on penalties against Germany in the latest edition did more harm than good.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
There aren't that many IT prospects I would like to join us anyway, even if I could cherry pick irrespective of price and background.

In the current roster... Donnarumma for long-term replacement of Buffon. Perhaps Jorginho, Belotti, Romagnoli and Insigne. Obviously Verratti.
Among the youth I am much more uncertain because I haven't watched them enough. Chiesa? Maybe? Barella? Is there anyone else?

How many IT players would be able to be a strong force in our team if exclude Verratti?
I dont really rank Belotti, but the other mentioned would be good. Especially Veratti, insigne and Donnarumma would be awesome. Barella looks interesting and he has the potential to be really good. Chiesa is a must buy for me. Lost of talent and a lot of grinta to. To bad he is with the rats.

- - - Updated - - -

Berardi sucks so bad. He had great numbers the first couple of years in Seria A, but hes talent has always been limited. At best a Lazio, Fiorentina level talent.
And why in the world would anybody want Giacherinni back?

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
I think it is hard to make calls on young italian players. For eg. Berardi looked good at first but has gone backwards...if he did choose to join juve would he had further advanced or would we be saying he doesnt have what it takes? Is playing at juve with better players and potentially facing CL teams better for his development or is playing at sassuolo better? Not saying every italian young player is good enough but the big teams in italy do favour older players and are more reluctant to give opportunities to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 68)