Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@Hustini

Calciopoli is a fair point but in what way? Take juve 2003 CL final team for example. How many youngsters that team had? You can maybe only mention Buffon and he was 25 by then.

If we talk just before 2006. I guess Zlatan was sort of young but not italian. Chiellini and Balzaretti were the only youngsters involved with Capello Juve. And id argue calciopoli actually benefited Chiellini. If calciopoli hadnt happened Cannavaro and Thuram would have played couple more seasons and Moggi would have bought some proven name replacements by 2008 as Cannavaro decline kicked in.

I remember we were very close to selling Chiellini abroad around 06-08 summers.

Its a fairer point if you actually believe in calciopoli as in teams were too busy fixing games and results and reps rather than growing youth.

Its possible Marchisio would never have established himself here as well if calciopoli didnt happen. Think about it. Moggi and Capello Juve rarely gave young players chance. Im talking about bringing up within the club not buying Zlatan or Buffon relatively young.

So thats why i dont completely see the calciopoli argument working at this stage going into 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

Id argue that calciopoli could have been an opportunity which has been missed if we talk the whole Italy. Instead Juve has moved forwards since then and is one of the more modern and best run clubs in world football now. Meanwhile our "rivals" have stagnated or struggle to make changes including building new high standard stadiums and so on.

The fact that crooks like Tavecchio even get into these positions is alarming. These should have ex pros or people with vision and higher education backround involved like our own Andrea Agnelli.
Although i do remember people in these same forums being against Albertini getting that same position which Tavecchio got. Maybe it was the Milan roots bias.

Your closing argument/addition more or less supports my notion that in the grand scheme of things Calciopoli crippled Italian football in the long term even going into 2018.

1.) Inter for example immediately threw all their eggs into one basket when Juve and Milan were punished. The league was a joke and they took our quality players and only has balotelli as the one single quality Italian player.
2.) beyond inter success milan had to have ibra to get that one title before their similar club philosophy crippled them. Both inter and Milan were hesitant to replace their aging squad.
3.) the system was brought to a grinding halt in 2006 and suddenly with Juve out of the picture a vacuum was created for a power grab and we got morons like tavecechio for example.
4.) Serie A lost a lot of money and suddenly it became evident with bankruptcies and decaying stadiums in the news. This is where our Juve board in rebuilding saw an opportunity for self-sustaining policies and to an extent our selling policies (“market opportunities”). We became very frugal and more methodical.
5.) Juve policy has been buying youth but here is the catch...they stay on loan for years and out of our control to develop now in the hands of other clubs. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. One must ask, why is Spain and Germany (Belgium too) an assembly line of young WC talents? Why isn’t Italy?

I’ll close my argument with the notion that Italy had a chance in 2006 to rebuild after a farce but only one club did...Juve. We are/have/will always be the standard bearer for the NT but Napoli are contributing too. Milan and inter barely. We don’t have a B league where youth and post-injury players can play more frequently....it’s straight from primavera to some obscure loan somewhere. There is little oversight to developing players anymore...it’s more about survival in the immediate sense...Italy’s notorious for crushing youngsters who make mistakes (look at how low Rugani has taken for consistency for example).

That’s why I think 2006 threw a monkey wrench in the system where it stopped being about football and more about survival in a broken system fighting for table scraps.

- - - Updated - - -

Hard as hell posting that much on a phone so forgive any typos or drifting between ideas/topics...hard to transition

- - - Updated - - -

Juve had to wisen up quickly because in Italy there was a new order we had to fight back into. We stuck with the “stay Italian” philosophy which is why I think we were quick to pounce on bonucci, get Chiellini and hope Marchisio turned into a class cm. We had an aging Italian core of Buffon, camo and DP. Thank god they stayed with nedved and Trez otherwise god knows where we would be right now.

- - - Updated - - -

While other national leagues have been a fighter jet with their ability to transition, Italy feels like a 747 trying to keep up but stick with old ways.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
People underestimate how much time DP, Gigi, Nedved, Trez and Camo staying saving Juve in rebuilding, or in football history ever even.
That's why they are probably the greatest legends in club's history (especially the first 2).

I would love to see which stars would remain if one of other grand clubs ever gets relegated.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
People underestimate how much time DP, Gigi, Nedved, Trez and Camo staying saving Juve in rebuilding, or in football history ever even.
That's why they are probably the greatest legends in club's history (especially the first 2).

I would love to see which stars would remain if one of other grand clubs ever gets relegated.
Thing is all of those players had established careers. Not even Del Piero would have stayed if he had been 25 at the time imo.

As a fan I'm happy that they did, of course, but I think their 'sacrifice' is often somewhat overstated.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Maybe, but in Del Piero's case, when he made the announcement no one knew what's gonna happen, they were saying we could be sent to Serie C, or have a huge deduction in B. I mean, there were no guarantees that it would be just a one-year sacrifice.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
Thing is all of those players had established careers. Not even Del Piero would have stayed if he had been 25 at the time imo.

As a fan I'm happy that they did, of course, but I think their 'sacrifice' is often somewhat overstated.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
I don't agree.

Nedved was the oldest of the bunch at 34 at the time. Even he turned down Mourinho's Inter to stay down. Del Piero at 32, could have joined any top team he liked. Buffon was 28, and could have made millions more elsewhere.

The rest could have easily jumped ship too:

Chiellini (22 yrs)
Camoranesi (30 yrs)
Trez (29 yrs)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I don't agree.

Nedved was the oldest of the bunch at 34 at the time. Even he turned down Mourinho's Inter to stay down. Del Piero at 32, could have joined any top team he liked. Buffon was 28, and could have made millions more elsewhere.

The rest could have easily jumped ship too:

Chiellini (22 yrs)
Camoranesi (30 yrs)
Trez (29 yrs)
Camo and Trez tried and weren't allowed after all departures.

Chiellini career had barely started and he was in Juve with no major market for him. Remember when he was in Fiorentina he wasn't keen to come back to Juve? The opportunity of the major exodus was good for Chiellini indeed. Got to play CB.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 140)