singus

Sep 22, 2020
Does anyone know how many years we have been operating with this rule? When did we last time elect a captain based on merits and leadership over seniority?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Evidence has shown in our club that seniority is not necessarily a merit. We have had a bad history of housing leeches, cripples and rejects.
Bonucci deserves it over new players cuz he has been here for over 10 years, and is a core presence in this club in one of the more successful eras. He is easy dislike but these are undeniable facts.

But Bernardeschi? He is an absolute nobody, a complete detriment to the club for 3 years now, only thing he has is his first 6 months of decent play, then became a trainwreck and liability.

Captaincy is about seniority in this club, but in this case is taking it too litterally. Because Bernardeschi is someone players avoid to pass on the pitch when they want something to happen, how is same players suppose to see him as a leader

singus

Sep 22, 2020
Bonucci deserves it over new players cuz he has been here for over 10 years, and is a core presence in this club in one of the more successful eras. He is easy dislike but these are undeniable facts.

But Bernardeschi? He is an absolute nobody, a complete detriment to the club for 3 years now, only thing he has is his first 6 months of decent play, then became a trainwreck and liability.

Captaincy is about seniority in this club, but in this case is taking it too litterally. Because Bernardeschi is someone players avoid to pass on the pitch when they want something to happen, how is same players suppose to see him as a leader
I more or less agree with you. But right now I want Bonucci replaced as soon as possible as I believe he is a hinderance for our football. And he doesnt seem to be a good leader as well.

The problem I see with using seniority to pick a captain is that we often will be missing out on the actual benefit it is to have an actual captain role in the team. If bumbum is captain but we have DeLigt, Vidal, Ronaldo or someone else with actual leadership, grit and determination to win, can they then really be shouting to their teammates and bring them together, when someone else is the captain and might feel undermined.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Captaincy is just a figurehead in case like that. Actual leaders wont take a step back and not be vocal or set examples just cuz they don't have the armband. Basically can be done by committee.

Ronaldo is the shining professional example for all of them. Buffon and our captain Chiellini our actual leaders, and I seen plenty of times on the pitch when De Ligt and Danilo are instructing, encouraging and dictating to their teammates. Whoever has experience can share it (Bonucci certainly has tons of it, we don't know what happens off the pitch). Especially when our team is younger then it ever been.

Our issue with Bonucci has nothing to do with his leadership or lack thereof (tho his comments towards Kean was as far away from leadership you can get), but simply his performances on the pitch sometimes. And the fact he tainted his bandiera status by sulking like a child, going to Milan and coming back like a spineless dweeb.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
Captaincy is just a figurehead in case like that. Actual leaders wont take a step back and not be vocal or set examples just cuz they don't have the armband. Basically can be done by committee.

Ronaldo is the shining professional example for all of them. Buffon and our captain Chiellini our actual leaders, and I seen plenty of times on the pitch when De Ligt and Danilo are instructing, encouraging and dictating to their teammates. Whoever has experience can share it (Bonucci certainly has tons of it, we don't know what happens off the pitch). Especially when our team is younger then it ever been.

Our issue with Bonucci has nothing to do with his leadership or lack thereof (tho his comments towards Kean was as far away from leadership you can get), but simply his performances on the pitch sometimes. And the fact he tainted his bandiera status by sulking like a child, going to Milan and coming back like a spineless dweeb.
I hope you are right. But I think it gives something extra, both to the leader having the captainship as well as the team, being led by the captain.

Regarding Bonucci I disagree a bit with you. I often feel that Bonucci has a wrong attitude in multiple phases of our games. He is more concerned about being the hero of the match with lots of risky hopeful passes and shots, than sacrificing himself for the team. I dont think he is a very good example for anyone in our team and I dont want to see him as a captain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)