Fabio Cannavaro (1 Viewer)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He's the only real defender to have won the Ballon D'Or, so it really doesn't matter what we think, in football terms he will go down as a legend :D

I thought he was great in 05/06, but then we had a great team and solid players all around. Of course he was magnificent in WC2006, but likewise.

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
He's the only real defender to have won the Ballon D'Or, so it really doesn't matter what we think, in football terms he will go down as a legend :D

I thought he was great in 05/06, but then we had a great team and solid players all around. Of course he was magnificent in WC2006, but likewise.
He was pretty amazing with Parma as well, was Italy's best player of the WC 98, of the Euros 2000 together with Nesta and of the WC 2002. It's not that he only had one good year.

I agree though that 2 years are not enough to make him a Juve legend. But he certainly is one of Italian football!

Jul 28, 2002
I think Canna bypasses a club legend status. Due to his regular move and the fact he has yet to return to Napoli, I don't think any club will count him as one of their own.

But as a global football legend? In 2006 he was the peak of what a CB could be. Faultless, despite having Zebina & Zaccardo to deal with.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Probably why no one said he was...
Tons of people did when the clown said he'd stay "even in Serie B."

Then folks had to eat their words.

If this guy was an American or Spaniard or whatever nationality besides Italian, he'd be the most hated player on the team by quite some margin. Same goes for Grosso.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
That isn't true at all. I want Cannavaro to stay for another season because he is a better player and more reliable backup than Lego. I don't care what country he is from.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Tons of people did when the clown said he'd stay "even in Serie B."

Then folks had to eat their words.

If this guy was an American or Spaniard or whatever nationality besides Italian, he'd be the most hated player on the team by quite some margin. Same goes for Grosso.
Nonsense, who here actually likes Grosso? Few, because he is rubbish, at least for Juve. I love this role reversal here, you give these players a shorter leash simply because they are Italian, and you know this is true! Nationality isn't an important issue to determine the level of a player, technical value and personality determines favourites.

In 2006 Cannavaro was on his way to being a Juve legend, but his move changed that. If he was the same level as he was in 2006 when he returned I guarantee less people would have called him a traitor, people just don't like players they see to be poor. Cannavaro had a couple of shaky years at a poor defensive Real Madrid side and people made their own mind up on a washed up player who 'snubbed' us in 2006.

Let's be clear here, in 2006 some players had to be sold, you can choose to call those who went to play in another league as traitors, but I prefer to call our board traitors, for selling Ibrahimovic and Vieira to Inter of all fucking teams. I don't even hate those two players. They are proven mercenaries, that's business and football.

It is to the absolute credit of those champions who stayed with us that they did, they will be idolised because of it, but I still find it funny how people choose to forget how many of them were also angling for moves when we were demoted but were not allowed to leave. It also doesn't mean the ones who left should be demonised. Did people seriously expect all of that squad to remain? So as soon as one goes they are a traitor? Cannavaro was one who said he would stay and I don't doubt he would have done, but when Real Madrid come calling for a player who is seen as the best defender in the world and is facing Serie B the next season then there is only going to be one outcome. The club selected Cannavaro as expendable, others were not.

If we talk about Cannavaro as a player then that is a simpler issue; he had two superb seasons with us in 2004-05 and 2005-06, and one poor season in 2009-10. That isn't even close to being considered a Juve legend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)