European affairs (3 Viewers)

OP
U Picciriddu
Jun 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter #21
    Mälmo and Göteborg are since all the refugees so called: 'rape capitals' in Europe.
    It’s crazy that if you look just to recent history, everyone would’ve love the idea of living in Paris or London, many Europeans always had Scandinavia in high regards. Now it are the countries we would avoid migrating to.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Mälmo and Göteborg are since all the refugees so called: 'rape capitals' in Europe.
    It's mainly because of the different ways sexual assault is counted and reported, the newer consent law and general data gathering formula being different and more strict in Sweden then the data reporting norm in Europe. Then the heinous act itself being more common than the average Europe nation.

Read this link that explains it well, instead of everyone just reacting to same flashy headlines every time: https://www.thelocal.se/20201006/how-do-swedens-rape-statistics-compare-to-europe

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe all these refugee doctors happen to be gynecologists and they wanted to offer free service as an act of gratitude.
    Here, read this and inform yourself instead of the legality and stats keeping that may differ between nations.

Holmberg said there were three key differences in how rapes are reported and recorded which could make it tough to compare countries.

Firstly, there is the question of how to define rape. Sweden recently followed the lead of several other countries in defining all non-consensual sex as rape, and its definition of rape covers acts of sexual violence which are categorised as 'assault' or other crimes elsewhere. According to Brå, around 40 percent of reported rapes in Sweden in 2016 did not involve violence, something which was a requirement for a classification of rape in Spain, for example, up until 2020.

Sweden also counts every incidence of assault or rape as a separate incident, whereas in other countries repeated rape within a relationship are counted as one incident. In the city of Malmö, for example, more than a third of all reported rapes in 2019 could be traced back to one single court case of a man accused of raping another person more than 140 times.

And Sweden's reported rape statistics include every incident where the victim claims to have been raped, unlike countries which only register reported rapes once an investigation is concluded and determines that a rape took place.

Brå's researchers tested the extent to which these factors might skew the reporting rate by recalculating Sweden's rape statistics using the legal and statistical definitions in Germany.

Eurostat figures show that Sweden had 64 reported rapes per 100,000 residents in 2016, compared to 10 in Germany. When Sweden's figures were recalculated using the German definitions, the new figure was 15 reported rapes per 100,000 residents.

That's still 50 percent more than in Germany, but it would place Sweden around the middle in terms of reported rape in Europe if the same standards were used as in Germany (although without recalculating other countries' statistics using the German definitions).

"Those things are clear mathematics. So we can easily recount the statistics in ways that are more comparable, which we did with Germany. The next question is could there be differences in the propensity to report rape? We cannot know the true amount of rapes, but the difference between many south-eastern European countries [and Sweden, as well as northern European countries] could also be linked to differences in the likelihood to report a crime. Sweden and other countries with a high level of confidence in legal systems and high gender equality have the highest reported rapes," said Holmberg.

Reporting rates could also depend on how individuals define rape, and in their trust in the authorities.

The researchers carried out the study "to highlight the problems that arise when comparing the statistics from different countries on reported rapes and case outcomes, but also to illustrate how other factors affect the statistics, beyond the actual incidence of rape and the effectiveness of the justice system", according to a statement from Brå.

The agency added that it hoped the study would "contribute to a more nuanced and fact-based discussion about the numbers of rapes and other sexual offences reported to the police in different countries".

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I particularly love this nonsequitur: "Why Sweden's high number of reported rapes might be a positive sign"

Of course the US is a grey mass with no data.

Gotta keep in mind they’re more likely to be reported in the UK while in India most get swept under the rug
    And in India, I'm told gang rapes of family members isn't considered rape in the south.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
    India 9 per 100k and UK 250 per 100k lmao. Methinks there might be one or two discrepancies with these stats.
    Probably, but I think the number in the UK is probably about accurate. Most rapes aren't people being grabbed off the street and taken down an alley, it's people getting too steaming or drugged at a uni party and assaulted by people they know

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Probably, but I think the number in the UK is probably about accurate. Most rapes aren't people being grabbed off the street and taken down an alley, it's people getting too steaming or drugged at a uni party and assaulted by people they know
    Think with these things the higher number is always more likely to be accurate. Also we have a culture where claims are far more likely to be made than they were in the past, both genuine and false.

My point is that the numbers of most of these countries are clearly not being recorded within the same parameters. I'd go so far as saying they are ludicrously inaccurate. Other sources have the UK basically in line with other Western European countries, which is what I'd expect.

I know I'd feel more comfortable for a female relative or my girlfriend to be walking alone here than in India or South Africa.

Last edited:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Green and Renew losing seats. :clap:

The French Senate rejected Ceta (free trade agreement with Canada), it is the turn of the deputies to express themselves on this treaty which has largely entered into force since 2017 but never ratified by the 2 chambers. The government does not want a vote in the assembly before the next elections.

Clearly when it comes to talking about the EU there is always a problem of democracy.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
    1000005487.jpg

I wish we had a system that allowed for more than 2 parties :sigh:
    That was funny :lol:

In the UK though we had UKIP who were primarily Euroskeptic but definitely hoovered up a lot of the fash who needed a home after the collapse of the British National Party, but then after the success of Brexit caused a major split and later purge of the Conservative Party what we have is the tories are where UKIP used to be and Labour are where the Tories used to be. So now we have Home Secretaries still banging on about shipping asylum seekers to Rwanda, and actual convicted conmen appointed as defence secretary.

There is no major centre left party remaining, excepting the SNP who only stand in Scotland and so cannot claim victory in a general election.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
    SNP would barely win a Scottish election these days they are so mired in scandal.
    They all are, though. What the SNP has lost is the moral high ground, which certainly did win them some votes the last few goes but it's not like it's now occupied by anybody else.

I think they'll hold onto a lot of seats either because people are used to voting for them and they won't do any worse than others, or because of the independence factor, on top of their core support base.

Incidentally, the system used at Holyrood is designed to prevent overall majority. The fact the SNP managed to get one is a show of just how hugely popular they were at the time. You're supposed to do no better than barely winning ;)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    The referendum was the great wave that the SNP sailed on in recent times but agree that compared to the Tories in particular they were a "wholesome" party. Scottish and Welsh politics are obviously quite different to English, having the nationalist option.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    1000005487.jpg

I wish we had a system that allowed for more than 2 parties :sigh:
    This is funny because it is at least somewhat true.

I took a popular survey for the recent Portugal election from a center-right newspaper called Observador. Everyone I knew who took it rated highest for what's known as the "PAN" party... "People, Animals, and Nature". If you don't know how ridiculous that is, let me share a famous cartoon from the 2022 elections that quite accurately describes each party through recognizable Simpsons characters...

portugal-political-parties-simpsons.jpeg

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The number of bullet shots at each sign kinda also reflects how much there's a segment of the public that particularly despises that party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)