[Europe League] JUVENTUS 1-0 Sturm Graz (5 Viewers)

Jul 4, 2010
Well, marked improvement in the second half.

Highlights - Del Piero's goal, Melo's overall play (particularly celebrating his own tackle), Aquilani's girlfriend, Pepe's work rate, Martinez showing some flashes of skill, De Ceglie having a solid game

Lowlights - Lanzafame's miss (and his criminal haircut), Pepe's miss, the entire first half
:tup: I was impressed with Martinez, showed some nice moves, passing and dribbling. Could have made a nice assist for Alex but I guess the pressure is too much for him right now. Great improvements. I hope that things will get better and better.

Melo was brilliant tonight, good in defence and creative in attack, made many nice passes and also set the assist for del Piero amazing goal.

I also liked the performence from Motta and Bonucci.I am impressed by the young new duo in the defence.

De Ceglie was the weakest player for me, but mainly in the aerial area. And only in the first half.

The second half was very nice, we could have easily won with 3 or 4 goals. We didn't give the austrians a chance.

Still Sturm is not some very serious team, so I guess it is still early for some high hopes, but there is certainly an improvement.

Forza Juve :flag1:

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Any match reviews?
My tuppence worth: -

Marco Storari hasn't had much to do, but was alert throughout so he made no mistakes.

Marco Motta was good despite his 2nd half booking. I like him! However, he was lucky that he didn’t pick up a booking in the first half, when he tried to castrate his opponent with that sliding tackle. Ouch! :oops:

Leonardo Bonucci was caught out a few times, but I like him. Should’ve scored, but he knew that himself.

Giorgio Chiellini was solid. Gave away a FK in DP zone for shirt-tugging! Naughty!

Paolo De Ceglie had a solid game as well. With Grosso not hogging first choice, DC has had a few runs, which he needs. Hope he keeps up the form.

Simone Pepe was not up to scratch(my expectations) today. He should’ve converted DC’s cross into a goal: - missed a sitter there. Was he trying too hard/panicking?

Momo Sissoko messed up a few times in the 1st half but improved in the second. Looked like the Momo the Ninja we love but he needs to keep up the good work or Motta will pinch his ninja title!

Felippe Melo played well despite misplacing a couple passes.

Jorge Martinez : - I had hoped for more from him: - like a goal.

Alex Del Piero had his moments. Was fouled a lot. :mad: Brilliant goal! :tup:

Amauri was fouled a lot, so wasn’t very productive.

Davide Lanzafame Oh, dear! I know he’s capable of better. Snatched at a sitter and missed. He also whinged for FK/PK’s (which has no effect on Scottish refs) instead of getting on with the game.

Manuel Giandonato did not have enough playing time to judge.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Storari - had nothing to do - did helplessly watch one bounce off the post

Motta - Got up to support attack well but lacks that extra bit of ball control and crossing

Bonnucci - works hard but does get beaten at times

Chiellini - Solid - almost scored a goal great save by the keeper

De Ceglie - Was shaky at times but got up well on a few occasions to support the attack - was comfortable towards the end

Pepe - great and horrible at the same time - always makes himself available for the pass - had two great chances - one absolute sitter on DC's cross, but failed to score - overall great work ethic and good performance

Sissoko - not too great and not too bad - 90% of passes hit their target

Melo - MOM - I have never seen him like this - I don't know if it was simply because it was a shite opposition or what - he was Maestro in midfield tonight - great defence as well

Jorge Martines - started off on left wing were he had some nice touches but nothing too impressive - really showed some skill when he was shifted to striker - can be dangerous in space

Amauri - had an easy chance from a corner but only managed to flick it off his head - reminds me of Amauri of old

DP - Pure class, what else can you say?

Lanzafame - rubbish - couldn't even get one from right infront ON TARGET - though was involved in some nice passages of passing.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Any match reviews?

Bonucci?

Martinez?

Pepe?
Bonucci was good for the most part but got caught out a couple times. I thought Martinez was great. Looked bright in the first half on the wings and showed his ability in the second half as a forward. Pepe worked hard as usual. Didn't do much in the first half, missed a really good chance in the second half but got up and down the flank constantly.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
My tuppence worth: -

Marco Storari hasn't had much to do, but was alert throughout so he made no mistakes.

Marco Motta was good despite his 2nd half booking. I like him! However, he was lucky that he didn’t pick up a booking in the first half, when he tried to castrate his opponent with that sliding tackle. Ouch! :oops:

Leonardo Bonucci was caught out a few times, but I like him. Should’ve scored, but he knew that himself.

Giorgio Chiellini was solid. Gave away a PK in DP zone for shirt-tugging! Naughty!

Paolo De Ceglie had a solid game as well. With Grosso not hogging first choice, DC has had a few runs, which he needs. Hope he keeps up the form.

Simone Pepe was not up to scratch(my expectations) today. He should’ve converted DC’s cross into a goal: - missed a sitter there. Was he trying too hard/panicking?

Momo Sissoko messed up a few times in the 1st half but improved in the second. Looked like the Momo the Ninja we love but he needs to keep up the good work or Motta will pinch his ninja title!

Felippe Melo played well despite misplacing a couple passes.

Jorge Martinez : - I had hoped for more from him: - like a goal.

Alex Del Piero had his moments. Was fouled a lot. :mad: Brilliant goal! :tup:

Amauri was fouled a lot, so wasn’t very productive.

Davide Lanzafame Oh, dear! I know he’s capable of better. Snatched at a sitter and missed. He also whinged for FK/PK’s (which has no effect on Scottish refs) instead of getting on with the game.

Manuel Giandonato did not have enough playing time to judge.
Storari - had nothing to do - did helplessly watch one bounce off the post

Motta - Got up to support attack well but lacks that extra bit of ball control and crossing

Bonnucci - works hard but does get beaten at times

Chiellini - Solid - almost scored a goal great save by the keeper

De Ceglie - Was shaky at times but got up well on a few occasions to support the attack - was comfortable towards the end

Pepe - great and horrible at the same time - always makes himself available for the pass - had two great chances - one absolute sitter on DC's cross, but failed to score - overall great work ethic and good performance

Sissoko - not too great and not too bad - 90% of passes hit their target

Melo - MOM - I have never seen him like this - I don't know if it was simply because it was a shite opposition or what - he was Maestro in midfield tonight - great defence as well

Jorge Martines - started off on left wing were he had some nice touches but nothing too impressive - really showed some skill when he was shifted to striker - can be dangerous in space

Amauri - had an easy chance from a corner but only managed to flick it off his head - reminds me of Amauri of old

DP - Pure class, what else can you say?

Lanzafame - rubbish - couldn't even get one from right infront ON TARGET - though was involved in some nice passages of passing.
:tup: :tup:

Aug 1, 2003
It's been a long time since I could actually relax watching Juventus, and I'm glad that happened in the 2nd half of this game. First half was crap, but we improved in the second.

And dayumn, Del Piero.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Well, too bad for all the true fans who wanted us to lose & go out (you know, to make a statement), but we are through.
And fairly comfortable at that. Not a brilliant game by any means though, but that doesn't bother me too much. Felt like we were saving energy.

What does bother me however, comparable to the games against the Shamrock Rovers, is the fact that we're unbelievably sloppy when it comes to defending dead ball situations. If this doesn't get sorted immediately, we're in for a lot of trouble.

Storari 6 - Quiet evening. Looked confident.
De Ceglie 6 - Overall he was decent, but his marking (especially on crosses & set pieces) leaves a lot to be desired.
Chiellini 6 - Comfortable game.
Bonucci 6,5 - Pretty good game, rarely troubled.
Motta 6 - Ok, I guess. He is a threat going forward, sadly he's also a bit of a threat at the back.
Martinez 5,5 - Uninvolved for big parts of the game, did better when he was played up front.
Sissoko 6,5 - Good game, especially the 1st half.
Melo 7 - Secured the midfield, together with Momo. Hope he keeps it up, but I'm not counting on it.
Pepe 6,5 - A bit sloppy at times, but pretty vital for our type of play. Always provides options.
Del Piero 7 - Not a perfect game, far from it actually. But he was the most dangerous (& decisive) man on the pitch.
Amauri 5,5 - Not a big contribution.

Lanzafame 6 - Can't fault his workrate & he does seem to read the game quite well. Still not entirely sure though.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I honestly think last night fir Lanza was one of those times in a young player career where he has made a few starts and has gotten a little too comfortable,excpecting fouls to be given and almost cocky playmaking.

In laymans terms, last night he suffered from Simone Pepe syndrome; actualy thinking that your current level of effort in one area can mask your laziness in another.also known as Deceglie disease and Amoraphobia

Furia Ceca

Mar 21, 2008
Good game, i was really happy wih pepe and Martinez who were shaky in previous games, they looked good. The whole team looked good.
And about the goal.. Learn people.. Learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)