Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Weird match. Portugal seemed to dominate play, but when it came to the final third they kept miscommunicating like they haven't practiced together in months. Hungary held firm and did a good job of bringing an occasional threat on goal to keep them honest. I was starting to get worried around the 65th minute that Portugal would need luck to break a 0-0 deadlock. Because, after all, what does Portugal do better than anybody in the Euros these days than play a 0-0 draw?

Jota ran around a lot but couldn't make a constructive pass for his life. Bernardo Silva was useless and turned the ball over all the time. Ronaldo barely saw the ball. But William and Danilo as double defensive midfielders ran the show -- they were great. They destroyed much and gave Hungary little rhythm and limited breakthroughs.

It got to the point I just wanted to see Portugal win some corners to at least throw the dice at luck. They started to, but then all they would do is toss short corners. :rolleyes2: Thankfully Rafael was on the ball and put it in play for the opener. And at that point, sub Sanches just beasted the Hungary midfield and refused to go down on a maniacal run, which set up the penalty.

The scoreline was probably fair as a measure of chances, but Portugal's chances were generally poor and late -- making the scoreline more than a bit flattering. Credit to Hungary for playing a solid match worthy of a Euro finals. The fans were great too. I hope they get some points before this is all over.

Oh, and there goes Platini's record...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)