Euro 2016 General Discussion Thread (77 Viewers)

Euro 2016 Outright Winner?

• France

• Spain

• Germany

• England

• Belgium

• Portugal

• Italy

• Croatia

• Austria

• Poland

• Switzerland

• Russia

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Wales

• Sweden

• Ireland

• Iceland

• Czech Republic

• Romania

• Slovakia

• Northern Ireland

• Albania

• Hungary

Results are only viewable after voting.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
easy way to the semifinal. then they would play Germany
Yeah, sure, they need to play one good opponent in the semifinal. But their group (Switzerland, Albania and Romania) is easy, and they're likely going to meet a team like Ukraine in the 1/16's and Russia/Wales in the quarter finals. Very doable.

- - - Updated - - -

So do Spain imo but they have a tougher group.
Agreed. If they win their group, they're probably going to meet Switzerland/Poland in the quarter final.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
This site is great for making your predictions. http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/

Assuming France doesn't fuck up the group stage (and they shouldn't), they have an unbelievably easy way to the final.
:tup: thanks for that.

If Italy somehow managed to come 2nd in their group, it'll probably be much more beneficial for them. My predictor has them playing Portugal in the 2nd round and then England in the QF. If they come first, they'd most likely have Croatia and then Germany which is much tougher IMO.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Yeah, sure, they need to play one good opponent in the semifinal. But their group (Switzerland, Albania and Romania) is easy, and they're likely going to meet a team like Ukraine in the 1/16's and Russia/Wales in the quarter finals. Very doable.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. If they win their group, they're probably going to meet Switzerland/Poland in the quarter final.
yep. definitely the easiest path of all top teams

- - - Updated - - -

heres a task for Conte. DONT WIN YOUR GROUP!!! he would probably still finish 1st somehow

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
This is my quick predictions right now. Guessing the best third-place teams is always impossible though. :D
I think the winner of Germany vs France will win the tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

yep. definitely the easiest path of all top teams
And Belgium the toughest one.

heres a task for Conte. DONT WIN YOUR GROUP!!! he would probably still finish 1st somehow
Sounds so annoyingly plausible. :D

- - - Updated - - -

:tup: thanks for that.

If Italy somehow managed to come 2nd in their group, it'll probably be much more beneficial for them. My predictor has them playing Portugal in the 2nd round and then England in the QF. If they come first, they'd most likely have Croatia and then Germany which is much tougher IMO.
Indeed. :tup: They're probably going to lose to Portugal anyway, but at least it would be possible for them to make the semi-finals that way. If they have to meet Croatia and Germany, it's not looking good.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Same as yours except France-Russia in the QF's and Spain-Italy in the SF's with Germany as teh overall winner

I somehow think Italy will shock everyone this EURO

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Same as yours except France-Russia in the QF's and Spain-Italy in the SF's with Germany as teh overall winner

I somehow think Italy will shock everyone this EURO
Hmm, I just don't see it. Without half of the injuries, maybe. I hope you're right though. I think Wales will be the positive surprise of the tournament. I could even see them win their group.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
The fact that France wont face any strong-ish team before semis will be their downfall imo.You need some tough 1-2 games before you get to the business end of the tournament and France on paper should comfortably beat all the teams they could potentially face before semis.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I just don't see it. Without half of the injuries, maybe. I hope you're right though. I think Wales will be the positive surprise of the tournament. I could even see them win their group.
England have genuine quality this time.I expect them to top the group.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
England are premium chokers though. :D
They'll choke in the knockouts,that is expected.But they have enough firepower to beat all the 3 teams in their group.Vardy,Kane and Sturridge is a seriously good group of strikers with the former two being in the form of their lives.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
England have genuine quality this time.I expect them to top the group.
They do have a lot more quality than in previous tournaments. And as weird as it may sound, they look better than Italy right now.

But compare them to France, Germany or Belgium and they still look weak.

- - - Updated - - -

England are premium chokers though. :D
England have never had a good team. I wouldn't call them chokers, because they never had the quality to go far. Chokers would be pre 2008 Spain or Italy every other tournament (either they reach the final or they crash out in the group stage).

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
England have never had a good team. I wouldn't call them chokers, because they never had the quality to go far. Chokers would be pre 2008 Spain or Italy every other tournament (either they reach the final or they crash out in the group stage).
England's team around '04 or '06 was pretty good. I mean, sure, they never got their midfield with Gerrard and Lampard working, but on paper their team was quite good.

- - - Updated - - -

England's 2006 team was pretty strong.Only lost out on penos to Portugal and i believe they should've won that game.
Exactly. :tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
http://www.forzaroma.info/news-as-r...tti-agli-europei/?intcmp=buffon-totti-europeo

Buffon wants Totti at the Euros..

England's 2006 team was pretty strong.Only lost out on penos to Portugal and i believe they should've won that game.
It was an okay team. But not really much better than Portugal and they were definitely weaker than France. I don't think you can consider that result choking on their part.

- - - Updated - - -

England's team around '04 or '06 was pretty good. I mean, sure, they never got their midfield with Gerrard and Lampard working, but on paper their team was quite good.
But not realistically good enough to win a major tournament. In both 2004 and 2006 they went out against Portugal, who were more or less the same in terms of quality. Both times England went out on penalties. I'm not convinced that's bad enough to consider it choking. Although I guess in 2004 they would have had a chance to win the thing.

Still, what I consider choking is Portugal losing it to Greece at home.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
http://www.forzaroma.info/news-as-r...tti-agli-europei/?intcmp=buffon-totti-europeo

Buffon wants Totti at the Euros..

It was an okay team. But not really much better than Portugal and they were definitely weaker than France. I don't think you can consider that result choking on their part.
I'm not so sure if Portugal were better on paper.

Beckham,young Rooney,Terry and Cole in their primes,Stevie G and Lampard who were coming off terrific seasons.Only GK was bit of a weakness,otherwise it was a great team on paper.
France had a lot of past it players who were carried by Zidane's heroics.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
But not realistically good enough to win a major tournament. In both 2004 and 2006 they went out against Portugal, who were more or less the same in terms of quality. Both times England went out on penalties. I'm not convinced that's bad enough to consider it choking. Although I guess in 2004 they would have had a chance to win the thing.

Still, what I consider choking is Portugal losing it to Greece at home.
Well, maybe choking is a harsh word, but I do think their squad had the potential to win the tournament (even if they weren't favorites). This was Rooney at his best, and Lampard and Gerrard at their peak. Sure, they lacked players in certain positions (goalkeeper, among others), but overall I think they had a strong team. At least on paper.

This is the lineup in 2006:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If England had to win something internationally,i think it was that 2006 period imo.
Italy were considered outsiders in 2006 with a team that included Totti, Del Piero, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Nesta, Buffon, De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Zambrotta, Toni, Inzaghi.. There is no way England came even close to that kind of quality. Only chance they had was 2004 imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 77)