Euro 2016 General Discussion Thread (5 Viewers)

Euro 2016 Outright Winner?

• France

• Spain

• Germany

• England

• Belgium

• Portugal

• Italy

• Croatia

• Austria

• Poland

• Switzerland

• Russia

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Wales

• Sweden

• Ireland

• Iceland

• Czech Republic

• Romania

• Slovakia

• Northern Ireland

• Albania

• Hungary

Results are only viewable after voting.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Goals so far:

By clubs:

2 - Real Madrid
1 - Basel
Fenerbahce
Nurnberg
Hannover
Barcelona
Southampton
Bologna
Norwich
Valencia
Manchester United
Gençlerbirliği
Tottenham
CSKA
Ajax Amsterdam
Arsenal
West Ham
Reading
Hoffenheim
Legia Warszawa

By leagues:

7 - England
4 - Spain
3 - Germany
2 - Turkey
1 - Italy
Netherlands
Poland
Russia
Switzerland

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
2 yellows result in 2 games suspension??? what the hell is this rule??!!
At least 3 yellows would make a bit more sense.

http://www.football-italia.net/85860/euro-quarters-clear-yellows

Italy's four players with a yellow card must hang on until the quarter-finals, when their card record will be cleared.

Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci, Eder and Thiago Motta were all booked in the 2-0 win over Belgium, and another card would force them to skip the two following games.

The Gazzetta dello Sport ran a short report on the Euro 2016 rules regarding yellow cards and suspensions, as they work a bit differently than in the championships.

The two-game ban is meant to discourage players from deliberately getting booked a second time so as to skip a non-crucial game. For instance the Azzurri might prefer to get a second yellow against Sweden and skip the game against Ireland, rather than risk getting a yellow against the Irish and skipping the Round of 16. Now this is no longer an option.

An important detail is that a player's booking only lasts until the quarter-finals, after which their records are cleared. This means that a player that has already been booked in the tournament won't have to skip the semi-finals if he gets booked again in the quarter-finals.

Likewise, no player can be suspended for the final unless he should get a direct red card.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
thanks for yesterday's post match posts in the live thread, @Völler @Xperd @piotrr :beer: :dule:

hungary performed way above expectations. some may remember gera (our 10) from the juve-fulham el tie from 2010: cannavaro fouled him before his dismissal (it was a harsh red), then gera scored two goals, and carried his team to the finals. he played as an am or an ss for fulham, he always was considered as an attacking player. then last year, when dárdai (former nt coach, current hertha coach) moved him into dm, because he thought gera was too slow to be a real danger in the attacking third, but with his experience, he would read the game pretty well. yesterday, this was proved to be a great tactical choice. gera was my man of the match, with 7 tackles and 3 interceptions he stopped some austrian attacks by himself. alaba looked like the most talented player on the pitch, by quite a margin, but the most effective was gera. austria are in trouble now, this was supposed to be their easy match. they still can beat portugal, but iceland are just 100% pain in the ass, very physical, tricky opponents, who deliberately kick the ball to empty spaces in the attacking third of the opponent just to press the opponents' build up and try to counter as much as possible.

btw piotrr, my brother had a similar t-shirt like you posted here: http://www.juventuz.com/threads/42520-Euro-live-thread?p=5283499&viewfull=1#post5283499 like 25 years ago, he was in poland for a week with a folk dance group, and his hosts were a super nice polish family. he still remembers the hangover from the last night they spent there :D

Mar 9, 2006
2 yellows result in 2 games suspension??? what the hell is this rule??!!
At least 3 yellows would make a bit more sense.

http://www.football-italia.net/85860/euro-quarters-clear-yellows

Italy's four players with a yellow card must hang on until the quarter-finals, when their card record will be cleared.

Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci, Eder and Thiago Motta were all booked in the 2-0 win over Belgium, and another card would force them to skip the two following games.

The Gazzetta dello Sport ran a short report on the Euro 2016 rules regarding yellow cards and suspensions, as they work a bit differently than in the championships.

The two-game ban is meant to discourage players from deliberately getting booked a second time so as to skip a non-crucial game. For instance the Azzurri might prefer to get a second yellow against Sweden and skip the game against Ireland, rather than risk getting a yellow against the Irish and skipping the Round of 16. Now this is no longer an option.

An important detail is that a player's booking only lasts until the quarter-finals, after which their records are cleared. This means that a player that has already been booked in the tournament won't have to skip the semi-finals if he gets booked again in the quarter-finals.

Likewise, no player can be suspended for the final unless he should get a direct red card.
Journalists :lol:
http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/03/92/81/2039281_DOWNLOAD.pdf
b. in the final tournament, a player is suspended for the next competition match
after two cautions in two different matches, as well as after the fourth caution.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
So am i the only one who hasnt watched a single minute of Copa America ? :D I have absolutely zero interest in that tournament not just now but everytime its hosted.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36535204

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end," he said.

"It was unbelievable. We tried hard to win the game and Iceland didn't try anything. This, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition."

ronaldo, what a moron
He's an arrogant prick, behaves like a spoiled brat, but for some reason I grew to like him :lol2:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36535204

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end," he said.

"It was unbelievable. We tried hard to win the game and Iceland didn't try anything. This, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition."

ronaldo, what a moron
How pathetic. Iceland has the same size population as Coventry, and Ronaldo expects them to be going toe-to-toe with the bigger sides.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW congrats to Hungary, they were a million times better than when I saw them in the play-offs. Gotta love tournaments.

Klovn

#MakeTuzGreatAgain
Jul 28, 2011
So am i the only one who hasnt watched a single minute of Copa America ? :D I have absolutely zero interest in that tournament not just now but everytime its hosted.
It also starts very late.

He's an arrogant prick, behaves like a spoiled brat, but for some reason I grew to like him :lol2:
Because you hate Messi and have to defend Ronald against Messi fans? :D

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
btw piotrr, my brother had a similar t-shirt like you posted here: http://www.juventuz.com/threads/42520-Euro-live-thread?p=5283499&viewfull=1#post5283499 like 25 years ago, he was in poland for a week with a folk dance group, and his hosts were a super nice polish family. he still remembers the hangover from the last night they spent there :D
The Hun-Pol bond is still strong, i see many Hungarians during our indepence day, they come to Warsaw to take part in the march. :tup:

Same. I even wanted to watch some but more interesting games usually start at like 4am.

They definitely looked more hungary this time around. :agree:
You used this lame joke twice. :shocked:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)