Euro 2008 qualif's draw (1 Viewer)

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
A_LAcki said:
Well, only god knows that. In the case of Germany, its very unfair. You gotta be the Mafia to get tickets. Its a shame that football is turning into a snop sport, as many sponsors will give tickets to rich asses. I hate rich guys and the whole high society!
you are right.. I am still trying to get tickets, I don´t know if I get any..:disagree:

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #83
    Well you bunch of Finns, looks like we are gonna meet...

I Dunno if I have to be happy or not abouyt our group (group A).

I mean: Kazakhstan, Azerbaïjan, Armenia?? jeez, those aren't nice places for an easy match. I'd rather have Cyprus, Malta, San Marino, Andorra,...

Poland is OK, they're not bad, but at least we didn't pick Germany/Italy.

S&M are very though, we had'em in the WC qualifiers, and .. well... we're not qualified.

And Portugal aren't the strongest of the first pot. Of course I'd have preferred Greece, but I feel we can win some points against them.

In conclusion: Portugal and Serbia favorite for the first place. Poland and Belgium won't give their ticket away for free though.
    And lousy ex-USSR travels to come.

And what about you guys from Finland? Erkka? Venom? how's your team?

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    Geof said:
    I mean: Kazakhstan, Azerbaïjan, Armenia?? jeez, those aren't nice places for an easy match. I'd rather have Cyprus, Malta, San Marino, Andorra,...
    Second that. It's not that those Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Armenia are that hard to beat though.

Easiest one out of that pot IMHO.

S&M are very though, we had'em in the WC qualifiers, and .. well... we're not qualified.
    I've gotten the image of them being a moody team. In their best day they can easily kick the shit out of anyone but OTOH on a bad day they could be easy to beat.

And Portugal aren't the strongest of the first pot. Of course I'd have preferred Greece, but I feel we can win some points against them.
    Same, could have been much worse so I'm happy with this.

What there is to say - Finland goes to the finals, possibly with Portugal from this group. :D

Belgium wasn't my favourite pick that pot but I guess you can say the same about us.

No clear favourites in this group. One nation more than in other groups makes this one even harder to predict - two out of the Portugal, S&M, Poland, Belgium and Finland will qualify. :redface: :pint:

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    the groups again..:

Group A:
    Kazakhstan
    Azerbaijan
    Armenia
    Finland
    Belgium
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Poland
    Portugal

Group B:
    Faroe Islands
    Georgia
    Lithuania
    Scotland
    Ukraine
    Italy
    France

Group C:
    Malta
    Moldova
    Hungary
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Norway
    Turkey
    Greece

Group D:
    San Marino
    Cyprus
    Wales
    Rep of Ireland
    Slovakia
    Germany
    Czech Republic

Group E:
    Andorra
    Macedonia
    Estonia
    Israel
    Russia
    Croatia
    England

Group F:
    Liechtenstein
    Northern Ireland
    Iceland
    Latvia
    Denmark
    Spain
    Sweden

Group G:
    Luxembourg
    Belarus
    Albania
    Slovenia
    Bulgaria
    Romania
    Holland

Tino

Il Tedesco
    Feb 1, 2005
    WOW! group B is damn hard!!

Good Group for Germany, and like our National-coach said "good draw, and we dont need to fly to far away for the games!" :D

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    One thing - there's still lots of hatred between azers and armenians right? In CIS Champions Cup the match between Baku and Yerevan was called off because other (don't remember which) side refused to play against the drawn opposition IIRC. Interesting to see what'll happen when those national teams should meet. Twice.

e: added uncertainty-part

Sep 28, 2002
    we got the best draw in terms of teams i'll get to watch. no chance of qualifying though. then again there will be another chance to get pissed with the scottish..

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Geof said:
    True, but still those teams are considerably worse than ours. Besides, we've know in that point that we're even quite used to beat these smaller nations. There are few exceptions in the fresh memory though, most notably the games against Wales and Andorra... Against bigger teams our team has a bad habit of making it close to victory and then choke, but I'm quietly confident about this changing since Hodgson replaced our last coach who was quite uncapable for the job...

Perhaps this describes our NT quite well:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/10376141/4-3_Lokvenc.mpg.html

Geof said:

Portugal was my favourite below Greece. Figo's and Rui Costa's generation is pretty much gone, and I believe that our style fits perfectly with theirs. Not to forget that visiting the ex-USSR countries and Helsinki might prove to be very hard for the boys from the South.

I agree with venom that Poland was the best alternative from that pot.

Serbia seems like a decent opponent too, my image of them as a moody team still stays... The good thing ist that I have not forgotten an unlucky defeat at Belgrad and magnificent 3-0 in Helsinki victory last time we faced them at qualifiers.

What do I think about Belgium? Not too bad draw, five years ago we beated you 4-1, my image is that your still going through quite painful change of an era after several of your stars grew too old. Are you still playing with such conservative style? Besides TamU won Charleroi. ;)

Geof said:
    In conclusion: Portugal and Serbia favorite for the first place. Poland and Belgium won't give their ticket away for free though.
    And lousy ex-USSR travels to come.
    The point is that none of the four teams estimated as bigger than Finland can't afford to underestimate us at all. This group is quite a dream come true for us (only group C would have been better) after few previous, very difficult groups.

Geof said:
    We're quite good. We've got a nice bunch of good goalkeepers, even though I've got to admit that I'd love to see Antti Niemi back from his international retirement since Bolton's Jussi Jääskeläinen hasn't been that good with our NT.

Our defence is decent. I believe that you are familiar with Anderlecht's Iron Mountain, Hannu Tihinen. Sami Hyypiä is considered as the biggest star, but he's performances with NT need to get better. Werder Bremen's Petri Pasanen is one of my favourites, very good centerback, though quite injuryprone and the last coach used him too much as a fullback. So in short summary, our centrebacks are good but our problems lie with the fullbacks.

At midfield our defensive roles are covered superbly. Tottenham's Teemu Tainio and PSV's Mika Väyrynen are fantastic guys, and Crystal Palace's Aki Riihilahti has recently been a success with national team. I don't know what are Hodgson's plans with the offensive roles, we've got the King Litmanen for that place when he's fit, but unfortunately I can't see that happening many times... Eremenko jr. who just moved to play for Saturn from Lecce has potential, but currently he thinks too much of himself.

At attack we've got Birmingham's Forssell who has been very unlucky with injuries lately. Blackburn's Kuqi will probably play quite much too, but the others behind them are quite unknown, it's hard to say who of them will step up.

Now that we've got a competent coach too, I can see us qualifying at last. Royn kanssa Eurooppaa valloitamaan!! :star: :pint:

theennis

Jan 27, 2006
    Let's forget the fact that I'm from Bosnia. But just look at the group.
    Greece and Turkey are best ranked teams. But their form is bad.
    Norway is much weaker than before but still very good.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina have one more shot for big championship like EC before our best player retires.
    Hungary is looking to get back in football top.
    Moldova has advantage on their home court beacuse of the weather.
    Malta is capable for suprises. Croatia couldn't beat them.

Sep 28, 2002
    theennis said:
    Let's forget the fact that I'm from Bosnia. But just look at the group.
    Greece and Turkey are best ranked teams. But their form is bad.
    Norway is much weaker than before but still very good.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina have one more shot for big championship like EC before our best player retires.
    Hungary is looking to get back in football top.
    Moldova has advantage on their home court beacuse of the weather.
    Malta is capable for suprises. Croatia couldn't beat them.
    thats the easiest group. you're just lucky. again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)