Euro 2004 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trap tests Del Piero as Trequartista Tuesday 3 September, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Del Piero may play behind the front two in Italy’s Euro 2004 qualifier in Azerbaijan, according to Giovanni Trapattoni’s tests.

This position was tried before but the Juventus man always confirmed his firm opposition to playing as a Trequartista.

The absence of the injured Francesco Totti – and a similar deeper role used at Juventus this season – could have changed his mind.

Trap tried out a 4-3-1-2 system in a game between ranks at the Coverciano training ground. It ended 2-2 with Christian Vieri and Filippo Inzaghi netting for the first-teamers and a Vincenzo Montella brace for the substitutes.

The clues to the team that will take on Azerbaijan on Saturday evening were there to see as a Christian Panucci, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro and Francesco Coco made up the four-man defence.

Damiano Tommasi, Gigi Di Biagio and Gennaro Gattuso were in midfield behind Del Piero and front two Vieri and Inzaghi.

It’s reported that the disappointing World Cup performances, backed by the 1-0 friendly defeat to Slovenia, prompted a group of dissident players to protest at the negative tactics being employed.

The Italian press claims the group of rebels is led by Vieri, Toldo, Del Piero and Montella.

Football Italia

Trap calls up Doni and Pirlo but still persists in playing in the play maker role

Will he ever learn:groan::fero:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Trap walking a tightrope Wednesday 4 September, 2002

Giovanni Trapattoni has admitted that his place as Italy Coach hangs in the balance ahead of Saturday's Euro 2004 qualifier in Azerbaijan.

“A defeat would be very dangerous from a psychological point of view,” warned the veteran tactician. “I am not afraid, although the press continues to talk about a critical situation here.”

“According to the journalists it was a disaster when managers lost a Final on penalties or in the final minute,” he said pointing to predecessors Arrigo Sacchi and Dino Zoff.:frown:

Reported rows within the Azzurri camp and complaints over out-dated tactics have split the team in two. It’s believed another slip-up could cost Trap his position.

“I don’t see the people turning against me or the squad. We’ll see how the situation evolves. Let it be made clear that I will not stay in Heaven if the Saints don’t want me there,” said Trap with one of his trademark curious metaphors.:dontcare:

The former Inter boss also took the current crisis in Italian football to task as yet another delay to the Serie A season is possible following rows over television rights.

“Even a Ferrari can break down if you drive it at 340km/h. Football had entered into a destructive spiral and you couldn’t see a way out.”:(

“It’s only right to look each other straight in the eyes and say precisely how much they are worth. Myself, Gianni Rivera and others at that time earned what they deserved and those who didn’t deserve it knew their place.”

As for the Italy team itself, Damiano Tommasi took it upon himself to calm the waters following the 2002 World Cup and 1-0 friendly defeat to Slovenia.

“We are here to rebuild a project and continue working,” assured the Roma midfielder. “After our World Cup exit everyone had their criticism, but it’s too easy to talk like that after a defeat.”:groan:

“We are accustomed to talking when the results are there to see, so we will have to try and get better results if we are to avoid all this chit-chat.”:dazed:

Football Italia

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Italy continue their preparations for Saturday’s Euro 2004 qualifier with an 11-1 victory over the Under-18 international side.

Giovanni Trapattoni fielded what should be his starting line-up for the September 7 clash in Azerbaijan, a 4-3-1-2 formation with Alessandro Del Piero filling in for the injured Francesco Totti.

The new system seemed to work well upfront as Filippo Inzaghi netted four goals. Vincenzo Montella also continued his fine form with a hat-trick in the second half, in which the Azzurri lined up with the old 3-4-1-2 tactic.

Christian Vieri, Cristiano Doni, Massimo Oddo and new Juventus striker Marco Di Vaio were also on the scoresheet.

The only real doubt at this stage regards Gianluigi Buffon. The Bianconeri goalkeeper suffered a minor thigh problem during last week’s friendly at Lazio, but assures he will be ready for Saturday’s crucial encounter.

“I will be there for the game against Azerbaijan,” noted the former Parma man. He also commented on claims that Giovanni Trapattoni is walking a tightrope.

“We realise that Trap is no longer untouchable in his role as Italy Coach,” admitted Buffon, “and that is also partly our fault. We’re very sorry about that, but we now have the chance to make it up to him and repay his faith in us.”

Italy 11 – Italy Under-18 1

Scorers: Vieri 4, Alberti 7 (U-18), Inzaghi 12, 22, 36, 41, Montella 52, 83, 90, Doni 59, Di Vaio 64, Oddo 80

ITALY first half: Buffon; Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro, Coco; Gattuso, Di Biagio, Tommasi; Del Piero; Inzaghi, Vieri

ITALY second half: Toldo; Adani, Materazzi, Iuliano; Oddo, Ambrosini, Pirlo, Zauri; Doni; Di Vaio, Montella.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Cyprus 1 France 1 (2nd Half action)
Norway 2 Denmark 2 (Full Time)
Finland 0 Wales 1 (Half Time)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Russia 4 Rep of Ireland 2
Armenia 2 Ukraine 2

Latest scores
Croatia0 Estonia 0
lithunania 0 Germany 0
Turkey 0 slovakia 0

Finland0 Wales 3 ?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Azerbaijan vs Italy should be getting underway soon! I'm anxious to see how the Azzurri start the match.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++Azerbaijan vs Italy should be getting underway soon! I'm anxious to see how the Azzurri start the match.
Yeah, can't wait either. I only get to see it 2 hours later. (Delayed telecast here)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Slovenia 3 Malta 0
bosnia 0 Romania 3 (chivu, Munteanu Ganea)
Austria 2 Moldova 0
San Marino 0 Poland "
Faroes 2 Scotland 2
lithuania 0 Germany 2
Greece 0 Spain 2 (Raul, Valeron)
Belgium 0 Bulgaria 2
Croatia 0 Estonia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)