Euro 2004 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++
What's wrong with Gattuso? Who better than Gattuso do we have at defensive centre mid? Cristiano Zanetti? Nah.. Gattuso has the ball winning aggression that Zanetti lacks,and I think he was unlucky not to get much playing time at the World Cup. Anyways,it's not what me or you think,but what Trap does.
honestly, i think that c.zanetti is much better than gattuso. he is more intelligent and is a champion. gattuso is very aggressive and his style of play is dirty and he usually gets sent-off, while christiano has more class, better passing, and wins the ball more intelligently.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
i think its because of trap's system, i mean all players under-performed not only zanetti. but he has shown his worth in the past 2 seasons, first with roma and now with inter. no wonder crag wanted him so badly in the nesta-deal.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I do not agree with either of you, because if you watch Italy's matches again without anger or anxiety, you will realise that Zanetti actually played very well.

For Gatusso, its just my opinion, no offence meant but he has no biz on a football field, for goodness sakes he has no ball control whatsover, all he does is run around fouling people, with misplaced aggression, its a shame that in the modern era, where athlectism and dumb tactical decisions have come into play, that the likes of Gattuso are not only playing for big clubs are in the NT as well.

Ambrossini is what we are looking for in the midfield, with Zanetti, Fiore, Doni, players like that, who can at least pass the ball.

But you are damn right Dp's_a, this means nothing because i dont pick the team, but we can still have fun picking our teams.

As for 3 up front, to be honest, it wont work as long as Vieri is one of the strikers, as his movement or lack of it does not help, because he is a great goal scorer, but not a great lateral mover.

In the qualifiers he missed all but 1 game and in that game Italy drew 0-0 in their worst performance

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
I look forward to seeing Holland back in action. and they should be good too. They have the best attack and among the best midfields in the world. And their defence is coming along.
Time to replace some of the old players with youngsters willing to fight for every game I think!

How about this, Ian:

-------------------------- Van der Sar (Fulham) --------------------------

-- Hofland (PSV) -- Stam (Lazio) -- F. de Boer (Barçelona) --

-------------------------- Davids (Juventus) --------------------------
-- Overmars (Barçelona) -- Van der Vaart (Ajax) -- Van der Meyde (Ajax) --

-- Van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) -- Bruggink (PSV) -- Hasselbaink (Chelsea) --

Substitutes:

Attack:
Van Hooijdonk (Feyenoord)
Robben (PSV)
Kluivert (Barçelona)
Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV)

Midfield:
Zenden (Chelsea)
Sikora (Vitesse Arnhem)
Van Persie (Feyenoord)
Van Bommel (PSV)
Cocu (Barçelona)

Defense:
Pauwe (Feyenoord)
Reiziger (Barçelona)

Goalkeepers:
Waterreus (PSV)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Denco,I agree with you.. To me Fiore is the kind of player that fits nicely into any midfield. He can help support Totti and play wide I think. As for not playing Vieri in a 3 man's attack,I see what you're getting at. In the qualifiers he was injured and we played with a combination of Fiore,Totti,Del Piero,Montella,Inzaghi and Delvecchio. When we played this formation without Vieri we played good football,attacking football,and more importantly we got the results. Yes,I agree with you,Vieri doesn't fit in,but we just HAVE to play with 3 men upfront. I say this because of all of our talent upfront. You can't have players like Del Piero and Montella on the bench,at least I wouldn't. I think the thing that would help most is for Vieri to blasted well get injured before the tournament. Many would say that's a bad thing,but I would like it.

Buffon - Cannavaro,Bonera,Nesta - Zambrotta,Gattuso,Fiore,Coco - Totti - Montella,Del Piero

My plan in this formation is to use the wings alot,but not just through Zambro and Coco. Zambro would play more as a right centre mid,and Coco a left centre mid. Totti and Fiore would roam the middle of the pitch while "the Little Airplane" plays wide right and DP wide left. When Zambrotta and Coco don't have to defend they can play on the flanks and let Montellino and "Pinturrichio" cut in a little more. I think this would give the squad more width. They would look something like this on the pitch :

Buffon

Cannavaro Bonera Nesta
Zambrotta Coco
Gattuso/Zanetti

Totti Fiore
Montella Del Piero

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
Time to replace some of the old players with youngsters willing to fight for every game I think!

How about this, Ian:

-------------------------- Van der Sar (Fulham) --------------------------

-- Hofland (PSV) -- Stam (Lazio) -- F. de Boer (Barçelona) --

-------------------------- Davids (Juventus) --------------------------
-- Overmars (Barçelona) -- Van der Vaart (Ajax) -- Van der Meyde (Ajax) --

-- Van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) -- Bruggink (PSV) -- Hasselbaink (Chelsea) --

Substitutes:

Attack:
Van Hooijdonk (Feyenoord)
Robben (PSV)
Kluivert (Barçelona)
Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV)

Midfield:
Zenden (Chelsea)
Sikora (Fulham)
Van Persie (Feyenoord)
Van Bommel (PSV)
Cocu (Barçelona)

Defense:
Pauwe (Feyenoord)
Reiziger (Barçelona)

Goalkeepers:
Waterreus (PSV)
I agree with Van der Meyde, Bruggink, and Hofland. But Numan should be a sub, Makaay should start on the right side of the front line, with Van Nistelrooy on the left. Yeah, and I would put Van der Vaart and Davids in a flat four mid-field.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I forgot about Makaay! :embarass: But don't you think Numan is getting too old? If Numan is good enough then Aaron Winter certainly qualifies as well, don't you think?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++
Denco,I agree with you.. To me Fiore is the kind of player that fits nicely into any midfield. He can help support Totti and play wide I think. As for not playing Vieri in a 3 man's attack,I see what you're getting at. In the qualifiers he was injured and we played with a combination of Fiore,Totti,Del Piero,Montella,Inzaghi and Delvecchio. When we played this formation without Vieri we played good football,attacking football,and more importantly we got the results. Yes,I agree with you,Vieri doesn't fit in,but we just HAVE to play with 3 men upfront. I say this because of all of our talent upfront. You can't have players like Del Piero and Montella on the bench,at least I wouldn't. I think the thing that would help most is for Vieri to blasted well get injured before the tournament. Many would say that's a bad thing,but I would like it.

Buffon - Cannavaro,Bonera,Nesta - Zambrotta,Gattuso,Fiore,Coco - Totti - Montella,Del Piero

My plan in this formation is to use the wings alot,but not just through Zambro and Coco. Zambro would play more as a right centre mid,and Coco a left centre mid. Totti and Fiore would roam the middle of the pitch while "the Little Airplane" plays wide right and DP wide left. When Zambrotta and Coco don't have to defend they can play on the flanks and let Montellino and "Pinturrichio" cut in a little more. I think this would give the squad more width. They would look something like this on the pitch :

Buffon

Cannavaro Bonera Nesta
Zambrotta Coco
Gattuso/Zanetti

Totti Fiore
Montella Del Piero
-------------------------------------Buffon
-------------------Cannavaro-----Bonera------Nesta
------------Zambrotta----------------------------------------Coco
-----------------------------------Gattuso/Zanetti
------------------------Totti---------------------------Fiore
-------------Montella-----------------------------------Del Piero

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
It seems you dont like Ambrossini and you are not a fan Of Inzaghi either. I like your team except for Gattusso, i can't stand his style of play i have to say. imo in international football for you to lack ball control is beyong forgiveness and Gattuso lacks ball control. Yes he runs around like a madman and gives 100% but that won't beat the likes of Brazil, Argentina or France and Holland where the midfielders will just brush past him with skill.

I mention Inzaghi because his movement of the ball is unbelievable, he can be in so difficult for defenders because you never know where he will pop up next. He is not skilful and his first touch is not the best, but he is a handful and maybe not intentionally he creates space for his fellow strikers.

I won't entirely discount Vieri but they would have to find a way to play him with a striker with Totti just behind them

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
I forgot about Makaay! :embarass: But don't you think Numan is getting too old? If Numan is good enough then Aaron Winter certainly qualifies as well, don't you think?
Why would you guys not want to start with Kluivert?

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I am not very good with dutch football, i mean the inside stories and all but why is Kluivert nowadays playing the role of a withdrawn striker both at Barcelona and Holland when he is the most gifted target man in the world today okay maybe with Tristian

Also why do u have Hasselbaink in a 3 man attack and why Van Bommel also Cocu on your bench

Not sure why Zenden makes your squad at all

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Hasselbaink has been among the topscorers in England for two seasons in a row.

Cocu is getting a bit too old. I wouldn't play him entire matches.

Van Bommel is young but with enormous potential.

Van der Meyde is good on the left but you'd need an experienced back-up for that position - Zenden is one such player.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

I won't entirely discount Vieri but they would have to find a way to play him with a striker with Totti just behind them
Of course not! There's no way you can discount a player like Vieri,he just needs to work on his work off and the ball and his passing. I think Totti-DP-Vieri could work nicely if used correctly.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
To see Italy playing to their full potential, yo will need a foreign manager imo

And I don't see that ever happening, so get ready for same old same old

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #39
    he used totti as a striker for msot of the tournament
    and hardly used players like DP and Montella(much better strikers) for what reasons i dont know

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well i think its because scoring 2 goals is a luxury as far as Trap and most Italian managers is concerned, so only one creative force is required, the rest are there to make sure Italy does not concede

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)