Euro 2004 Qualifying: Finland-Italy (8 Viewers)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Edgar Davids ] ++
I can't imagine Nedved with a short hair. this would be very weird
Maybe this will help...

I know... It's not as short as Del Piero... but considering his current length, this is very short!

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #86
    Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti put on a show in their test game together ahead of the qualifier with Finland.

“If what we saw today is a tasted for Wednesday’s match in Helsinki,” said Coach Giovanni Trapattoni, “we’ll have quite a spectacle on our hands.”

The two stars had not played in the same line-up since the ill-fated 2002 World Cup exit to South Korea.

Del Piero started out wide on the left in a 4-2-3-1 formation alongside Totti and Lazio midfielder Stefano Fiore.

The Juventus captain scored one and set up two for Totti’s impressive hat-trick in the 11-0 win over the Under-18 Italy squad.

“You could see their desire to combine and entertain the crowds,” continued Trap, “and that can only bode well for Wednesday.”

The Azzurri need a win in Helsinki in order to consolidate second place, as the Finns are just one point behind them in Euro 2004 qualifying Group Nine.

“Finland will use their strength and power, so we must make the most of our creativity and technique.”

Fiore was rumoured to be the replacement on the left flank for the injured Mauro Camoranesi and that theory was confirmed this evening.

“This is the basis for the game against Finland,” noted the tactician. “After seeing the tape of their 3-0 win over Serbia & Montenegro this week I may change some elements, but nothing major.”

The Scandinavians are on top form after hammering the former Yugoslavia 3-0 on Saturday evening.

“It will be tough,” concluded Trapattoni, “but I am optimistic. Our objective is to win and play good football. We are still convinced we can win this Group.”

Probable line-up: Buffon; Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Perrotta, C Zanetti; Fiore, Totti, Del Piero; Corradi

the phoenix

Aug 8, 2002
    If Trap starts both Totti and Del Piero it is about time it happen. I read and hear that these two can't play together. I think it is garbage, firstly it is the national team, that alone speaks for itself. We can't JUST depend on Totti. Our opponents would focus on him only (Inzaghi and Vieri anre great, but someone has to supply them the chances to score)Italy would be much more dangerous and competitive when both players are playing at the same time and creating chances to score, the other teams will have a more difficult time when there are two weapons to worry about (and I haven't forgotten about Corradi or Vieri). This is a step in the right direction, we should be a well balanced and diversified team.

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++

NO WAY !!! Again Perrotta!!! What da ...
    Hasn't he enough midfielders ???
    Corradi hmm ... Even if I hate Milan, I would prefere Inzaghi.
    But that's life.
    Good that we have somebody so special in goal.
    Btw, Iuliano is better than Panucci.
    I'd prefer Corradi over Inzaghi because at least Corradi gives an option in the air from corner kicks and free kicks.

Iuliano may be better in central defence than Panucci, but I wouldn't want to see Iuliano play right back.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #89
    I actually like this 4-2-3-1 formation alot, because IMO players like Fiore, Totti and Del Piero get alot more time on the ball and more space to work with and this is exactly what they need considering how brilliant they are with a football at their feet.

Hey, er, if DP succeeds in this role for La Nazionale what do you say to Juve using this formation? I mean, this scheme brought us something like 7 wins and a draw this season, and that was without Del Piero and an inform Zambrotta, so what do you say? Hmmm, and another good thing about this set up is that alot of our subs like Camoranesi, Miccoli and Di Vaio suit it very well.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #90
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++

Maybe this will help...

I know... It's not as short as Del Piero... but considering his current length, this is very short!
    Pavel is so cool! :cool:

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #91
    Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed that he will field an attacking line-up against Finland.

The Azzurri take on the Scandinavians in Helsinki on Wednesday in a European Championship qualifier that they need to win.

"The doubts that I had in recent days have been resolved," stated the tactician. "I don’t want to disrupt the balance that we have found over the last week.

"I have no real worries about playing Gianluca Zambrotta as a left-back. While Stefano Fiore can drift into the centre so long as he remembers to cover when necessary."

Trap is set to again use the 4-2-3-1 system that has impressed in recent months. Gigi Buffon will start in goal, guarded by a defence of Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta and Zambrotta.

The defensive midfield pair will consist of Simone Perrotta and Cristiano Zanetti after their excellent showings of late.

The attacking midfield trio will see Alex Del Piero on the left, Francesco Totti in a free role, while Fiore will replace the injured Mauro Camoranesi on the right.

Lazio striker Bernardo Corradi will be the lone man up-front in the absence of Inter’s Christian Vieri.

Meanwhile, Trap also commented on the transfer rumours linking Roma’s Totti with a switch to Milan.

"I don’t think he will leave the Giallorossi," added the Coach. "I’ve spoken to Totti on numerous occasions and it is only normal that a player wants to win things.

"But Roma are not such a disastrous club. After all, boss Fabio Capello has only asked for one or two reinforcements this summer."

Totti had threatened to quit the Olimpico outfit if they didn’t challenge for major honours in the new season.

------------------
    Go Trap! Go! :thumb::D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    We should do well. Finland aren't strong upfront, and they should pose little worries to Italy's excellent defence. It all depends on the vein of Italy's strikers and midfielders. We have to create chances to be able to score.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #95
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    We should do well. Finland aren't strong upfront, and they should pose little worries to Italy's excellent defence. It all depends on the vein of Italy's strikers and midfielders. We have to create chances to be able to score.
    Yes, I agree, and if Totti and Del Piero are on form then we should have no problems in creating chances, and scoring them as a matter of fact ;)

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #96
    ++ [ originally posted by my_hitzJUVE ] ++
    forza italy...!!!!seems like we're more stronger in all position....especially in midfield and GK!!!!! thanx fantasista for info...
    Yeah, the squad definitely looks better than the world cup one. All we need now is for Tacchinardi and Gattuso to accept their call-ups and for Vieri to be fit. Euro 2004 here we come! :)

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #97
    ++ [ originally posted by Ferrari^M ] ++
    If we lose again i will personally kill Trapattoni
    Don't worry, we'll win... :) More news...

Captain Cannavaro to hit 70 mark

Fabio Cannavaro says he is looking forward to equalling Sandro Mazzola’s tally of 70 international caps against Finland.

"It is an honour for me to draw level with a great champion like Mazzola. But don’t expect me to grow a moustache," he smiled.

"Joking apart, it is really satisfying to reach this honour. Especially as I will achieve this landmark while wearing the captain’s armband.

"I’m satisfied with what I have done for the national side in my career even if I have great regret that we haven’t won anything yet."

Cannavaro and Italy’s quest for honours continues on Wednesday when they take on Finland in a crucial European Championship qualifier.

"A draw wouldn’t be the end of the world but in reality we are really after a victory to end a long season on a high," added the Inter defender.

"We know it won’t be easy because the game against Finland is very tricky. But I’m optimistic that we can do well.

"I’ve been impressed with how the squad has trained in the last few days and we have prepared well for the game.

"There is every reason for us to believe that we can get a good result in Helsinki on Wednesday evening."

Finland did impress at the weekend with their 3-0 win over Serbia & Montenegro but Cannavaro still remembers the tie in Palermo against the Finns when Italy won 2-0.

"We played some great football in that game and we are all confident that we can replicate that performance again," he concluded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)