Euro 2004 Qualifying: Finland-Italy (1 Viewer)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
The two stars have not played in the same line-up since the ill-fated 2002 World Cup tie with South Korea.

“They did extremely well during that match,” insisted Trap, “and I would love to see my team repeat the same kind of performance, albeit scoring the goals we missed that day.”
:LOL: :howler:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I'm glad DP accepts that role, maybe he'll start accepting it with Juve too so Lippi can go back to the better 4-2-3-1 formation with DP, Nedved and Zambrotta/Camoranesi behind Trezeguet

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #46
    Good news for Italy guys. Finland are leading Serbia & Montenegro by a goal to nil thanks to captain Sami Hyypia :)

Juve Boy

Aug 10, 2002
    Camoranesi to miss Finland?
    Mauro Camoranesi has been ordered two days of complete rest and could miss the Euro 2004 qualifier with Finland.

The Juventus midfielder has still not fully recovered from a minor calf strain in his right leg.

The Italy squad’s medical staff have ruled him out of training for at least 48 hours and at this stage it seems unlikely he’ll be ready for Wednesday’s crucial encounter.

All the 25 Azzurri players underwent tests today, but Camoranesi and Christian Panucci were taken in for further examinations.

Roma defender Panucci is struggling with groin pains, but doctors assure there is nothing to keep him from facing Finland.

Camoranesi also sat out the midweek friendly test with Northern Ireland, a game Italy won 2-0.

Many of the big guns have returned for the clash in Helsinki and Alessandro Nesta comments on their condition.

“It has been a long hard season,” said the Milan star, “and we are all on our last legs. But Wednesday’s game will be decisive for reaching the European Championships.”

:down::down::down::down::down:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Yep if Italy wins next Wednesday, they will be close to at least assuring themselves a 2nd place. Hopefully they will come first, as second place is still risky since they`ll have to play a decider.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #52
    Second place is pretty much assured, but we'll need some help from Finland or Serbia & Montenegro if we're to come first.

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
    Second place is pretty much assured, but we'll need some help from Finland or Serbia & Montenegro if we're to come first.
    2nd place is far from assured. I wouldn't be surprised if either Finland or S&M won out the rest of their games.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    Wow... I didn't notice that Del Piero actually is Italy's topscorer in the group... and still he receives criticism :groan:

Let's hope he scores again. Italy must bring themselves back and win that match. A EC without 'em would just be sad....

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    That's just as bad as a WC without Holland, but it won't happen - they'll be there.

They won't win it with Trap, but they'll be there

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #58
    Giovanni Trapattoni warns that Finland could damage Italy's qualifying hopes and could start Stefano Fiore in midfield.

The Scandinavians are now in third place, just one point behind the Azzurri, after beating Serbia & Montenegro 3-0.

“We knew from our first encounter that they were a difficult opponent,” said Trap. “Now more than ever we need a fantastic performance on Wednesday.”

Italy beat Finland 2-0 back in March, but travelling to Helsinki at this late stage of the season could prove tricky.

“We must make the most of our strengths, just like we did when Finland were defeated in Palermo. We have the quality to win.”

At first the Finland result was considered a great boost for the Azzurri, but Serbia & Montenegro have struggled somewhat in recent months.

“I personally would have preferred a draw between those two teams. I knew the Scandinavian sides were tough.”

“The former Yugoslavs were playing without Dejan Stankovic and Mateja Kezman,” noted Trap of yesterday’s 3-0 defeat, “but I saw a good Finland outfit.”

The Coach is forced to make changes as Mauro Camoranesi looks unlikely to feature on Wednesday due to a calf problem.

Training sessions suggest that Lazio midfielder Fiore will take his place on the right flank, moving Juve’s versatile Gianluca Zambrotta to a left-back role.

The 4-2-3-1 formation has been successful since it was introduced and will be used again with Finland.

Alessandro Del Piero can take the wide left position alongside Francesco Totti and Fiore behind lone striker Bernardo Corradi.

Probable line-up: Buffon; Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Perrotta, C Zanetti; Fiore, Totti, Del Piero; Corradi

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #60
    For a change, the lineup actually looks good and I daresay that it's attacking too because Fiore, Totti, Del Piero and Corradi are all in it :eek::extatic:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)