Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (2 Viewers)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
I think Trap will have to make some changes.
In the defense, I hardly see any changes. Panucci showed little offense, but Oddo would be too offensive, especially against the very strong offensive trio Ljungberg--Larsson--Ibrahimovic.
In midfield, Pirlo HAS to come in. Italy lacked a link between offense and defense, and he is the one who can link those two areas. Gattuso should also come on, as he runs more than any other midfield, and the movement off the ball was horrible against the Dans, so he can make the difference with his figthing abbility.
Camoranesi or Fiore should take the right wing, although I would prefer Camoranesi. Sure, he had a very weak game, but I think he deserves another chance. If he sucks again, Fiore can still comeon. Totti, Vieri and Del Piero should all start again.
My line-up:

Buffon
Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta
Gattuso, Pirlo
Camoranesi, Totti, Del Piero
Vieri

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Camoranesi was hustling but couldn't get anything together...no lack of heart but lack of play. He may be sacrificed.
The Perrotta-Zanetti duo was uncreative and counter-productive almost causing a standstill rather than support. Pirlo is suddendly looking more and more "bright" but its Trap. so who in the hell knows. I see Trap keeping one of them on and creating some concoction in the mid-field.
Del Piero probably won't be penalized because Cassano did not shine even though he played considerably less than DP. I don't know if the Sweden game is one where DP will regain his confidence and touch.
Vieri-Totti seem to be Trap.'s untouchable's. Vieri looked like he was going to score at a certain point which is why Trap. hesitated to replace strikers..plus there was little to do. However, Corradi and Di Vaio are more useful outside the box whereas Vieri has trouble even passing it back. His speed took a considerable decline.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
You guys are all over-reacting. Switch the defense midfielder pairs (as everybody has been saying) and Italy will be fine. There is nothing more we can do tactically to make Italy play better. Fiore/Camoranesi and Del Piero/Cassano proved that they are all equally as good/bad. The only difference in player quality is Gatusso and Pirlo instead of Perrotta and Zanetti.

Buffon
Panu/Oddo-Nesta-Cana-Zambro
Gatusso-Pirlo
Camo-Totti-DP
Vieri

If Italy play that line-up and still dont perform then the problem is not tactics. Its more player mentality and form. Sorry to say, but if Italy fail to make 3 points against the Swedes, get ready for an early flight home.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Drop Camo/Fiore for another forward who would partner up Vieri and get the opponent's defence more busy, hence creating more space. Or push DP forward, he is wasted in the position he played yesterday, might as well leave him out, because he will never do well on that position.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
They should start with the basics, learn to pass the ball to a teammate, learn to control the ball when it comes your way. So far all the teams have done that much better than Italy.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Yes but for that you actually have to get the ball first, something they didn't exactly do that well either. They only kind of woke up in the 2nd half.

Jan 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
They should start with the basics, learn to pass the ball to a teammate, learn to control the ball when it comes your way.
Indeed! ball controling and passing were soo bad :down:

So far all the teams have done that much better than Italy.
Right, but today you'll see two teams having fun abusing the ball (Germany and Holland).

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
If Italy Plays the same way they did with Wales , no 1 can stop them , just attack , with danemrak it was like they are sitting in defence making bronze ... WTF we need 3points not 1 point !

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
this is the first time Zanetti-Perotta failed when partnered together.... it a shame should they lose their place now...but they cant complain.. this level dont have that luxury even when all the other stars in Totti-Del Piero- Vieri was also as bad as well..

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #36
    My line-up:

Buffon
    Oddo Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
    Gattuso Pirlo Perrotta
    Totti
    Vieri Del Piero

Panucci and Zanetti sucked so hence their omissions and though DP was very poor Cassano failed to do anything apart from earning himself a yellow card. The Swedes have a strong, quick midfield and in order to limit them I think that Trap should drop the 4-2-3-1 system for a more solid 4-3-1-2. Oddo and Zambo would get up and down the wings while Gattuso and Perrotta would keep it compact at RCM and LCM respectively but would move wider when need be.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    Drop Camo/Fiore for another forward who would partner up Vieri and get the opponent's defence more busy, hence creating more space. Or push DP forward, he is wasted in the position he played yesterday, might as well leave him out, because he will never do well on that position.

micoli would have done some much better there

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I may support Sweden now - they played AWESOME yesterday!

Whereas Italy just bored me :lazy: I had high expectations after reading that they were going to play offensive football but now I feel I have to buy the entire Italian nation a dictionary. :yawn:

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    I may support Sweden now - they played AWESOME yesterday!

Whereas Italy just bored me :lazy: I had high expectations after reading that they were going to play offensive football but now I feel I have to buy the entire Italian nation a dictionary. :yawn:

the dutch should know a couple of things about offensive football

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)