Euro 2004: Italy - Denmark (Group C) (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
The tihing I dont udnerstand is the inclusion of Panucci and Zanetti. I mean, they do nothing other than fill up shirts, everyone knows Zanetti is shite, but yet Trap continues to select him. IMO Gatusso is right, he and Pirlo should have played, and omeone else should have been right back, maybe Oddo, or Bonera even.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Totti blames his boots
Tuesday 15 June, 2004

Francesco Totti’s disappointing display for Italy against Denmark was partly down to his boots.

"There were times when it felt like my feet were on hot sand," said the Azzurri star. "It’s absurd, nothing like that has ever happened before.

"I have two massive blisters, one on each foot. I was really struggling out there and it is a problem that I need to resolve."

Totti was wearing a new pair of boots which his sponsorship deal with Nike state that he must use throughout the tournament.

The No 10 had already been struggling with his footwear in training and decided to change his boots after 30 minutes yesterday.

However, it made no real difference as Totti and numerous other teammates failed to impress in the 0-0 draw.

Alex Del Piero was another major disappointment and was eventually replaced by Antonio Cassano.

"I was ready to offer more but there are no problems with the substitution," said the Juventus player.

"We must not give up now and we know that we have to improve. We must identify the problems and keep working hard."

:totti:

Aug 1, 2003
Rants on Denmark vs Italy

Buffon : He saved our massive arses.

Zambro : Had a decent game.

Cannavaro : Man, the guy's CLASS.

Nesta : See Cannavaro.

Panucci : Average. I wish we had put someone better.

Perrotta : Average.

Zanetti : See Perrotta.

Camoranesi : Irritating. Was he actually trying to dribble, because he kept on losing the ball

Totti : I think he had a decent game compared to others. At least his crosses / passes / kicks were accurate enough.

Del Piero : Average. Some of his crosses were inaccurate and were done half heartedly, but he also did some nice moves.

Vieri : Maybe he wasn't given enough service... but I was really irritated with him. He couldn't handle the ball for 2 seconds if his life depended on it.

SUBs

Cassano : Average. I wish he had brought more flair and creativity into the game

Gattuso : At least he made some challenges. But I feel that he held the ball a bit too long. Whatever, an upgrade to Zanetti at least :D

Fiore : See Cassano .

Bah, I'm probably just upset... The Azzurri looked unorganized, and it seems as if they lack vision

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
my ratings:

Buffon : 7
Made some lovely saves, commanded his box well and kept Italy in the game.

Panucci : 5
One of the worst players on the pitch. Whenever he is pressured he plays an ignorant long ball and this annoyed me to no end last night. Why can't he just try to keep possession ffs. Defensively he wasn't good either.

Nesta : 6.5
Very good. Showed his usual solidity at the back with some nice interceptions and tackles.

Cannavaro : 7
The best Italian player on the pitch. He's a completely different man when wearing the Azzurri's blue as he failed to show any of the poor form he displayed with Inter over the past two seasons.

Zambrotta : 6 or 6.5
Pretty solid at the back. He limited Helveg and Rommedahl well granted that Zanetti sucked and Del Piero was further up the field. Offensively he tried to chip in but like all of the Azzurri forward players he lacked something.

Zanetti : 4.5 or 5
Poor. Very poor. He constantly fouled players and didn't distribute the ball well. I hope he's replaced by Gattuso against Sweden.

Perrotta : 5 or 5.5
Better than Zanetti, but still not good enough. Totti, Del Piero and Vieri needed more service out of midfield, and Perrotta, Zanetti and Camoranesi failed to deliver. I would've given Pirlo a try in the second half.

Camoranesi : 5 or 5.5
He tried hard but lost the ball far too often. Sometimes it looked like he was trying too hard. The 4-2-3-1 clearly wasn't working so I would've subbed him for Pirlo and played three across midfield with Gatto to the right and Perrotta to the left.

Totti : 5.5
One very good free kick, a few average ones and a nice through ball for Zambrotta, but that's about it. He seemed to lack ideas and clearly wasn't himself. Very disappointing and lucky to not have been sent off.

Del Piero : 5 or 5.5
Poor by his high standards, but when you compare what he did to Totti and Cassano, he wasn't that bad. He was guilty of giving up ball possession but who wasn't? The backheel to Zambrotta was glorious and the left-footed shot brought a great save out of Sorensen. Disappointing, but Totti was equally disappointing while Cassano was worse.

Vieri : 6
Worked hard. The service to him wasn't good but he came close with a crisp header and kept possession pretty well. The most impressive of the forward players imo.

Gattuso : 6
Cassano : 5
Fiore : 5.5

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Am amazed that Cannavaro is still the player he is even after joining Inter. Yes indeed, Sally, Canna is pure class & I concur with Martin as he gets MOM award.
Give Canna 9, Buffon 7, Zambro 6.5, Panucci, Zanetti & Perrota get 2 & the rest 3.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
SUBs

Cassano : Average. I wish he had brought more flair and creativity into the game

Gattuso : At least he made some challenges. But I feel that he held the ball a bit too long. Whatever, an upgrade to Zanetti at least :D
i saw espn, they say that cassano was good and definately changed the game in the 2nd half. must be bollox then :rofl:

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Italy shoudve had a pen early on Dp was fouled, but the refs are aware of the Italians rep so Totti Dp and co should limit the con play:cool: About Totti and his boots excuse he did seem like he was in some discomfort for sure. I dislike Nike boots because you always end up with blisters, fact. Switch to any make because playing football with your feet mashed up is almost mission impossible.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Zanetti : 4
Very poor, didn't do his job properly closing down the Danish midfielders and wasted just about every ball near him.

Perrotta : 5
A bit better but basically the same. I thought he won more balls but that's the only difference.

maybe when trap says that they play good together he means add both their ratings. 9 which is pretty good.

Asma

Doctor Asma
Oct 21, 2003
Denmark played very well Italy too..Buffon was good,Zambarotta and Totti .. but i expected much more effort from Italy's side..
Hope they will show much more effort in the next match :)

Dec 27, 2003
The only player to whom I seem to remember the Gazzetta gave a "9" was Van Basten after he scored 4 goals in the CL against IFK Goteborg (one of which a terrific bicycle-kick). An "8" means your performance was exceptional, and a "7" means it was very good. Only Cannavaro and Buffon deserve a "7".

Asma

Doctor Asma
Oct 21, 2003
but u know,its their first match in such a HUGE event,so,they must be scared,under pressure and over exhausted... :) but by time they will regain their confidence and we hope to see them with a better performance.. Forza Italia :thumb:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
The only player to whom I seem to remember the Gazzetta gave a "9" was Van Basten after he scored 4 goals in the CL against IFK Goteborg (one of which a terrific bicycle-kick). An "8" means your performance was exceptional, and a "7" means it was very good. Only Cannavaro and Buffon deserve a "7".
That entirely depends on the scale, doesn't it? I wasn't going by the standard Italian scale.

Btw, Zidane got two 10's in his 4th season at Juve ;)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Italy played like if they are in the premiership ,long passes ,where is the midfield and the passes from totti and the so called barotta and zanetti (these two should not play gattuso and perlo are better) ,very disappointing play:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)