[EU] Europa League 2014/15 (13 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The top 3 La Liga clubs can beat any other, except for maybe Bayern. But even then, Madrid destroyed them.
Last year, yes. This year... No.

Madrid just lost to Schalke... Atletico lost to Leverkusen a couple weeks ago.

I'd say La Liga and Bundesliga are of very similar strength. La Liga maybe a touch ahead, because with the fall of Dortmund, and Barcelona rising again, we'll have to wait until next year to really get an idea of just how good Wolfsburg is.

Buy on AliExpress.com

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
What an example PI :lol:

Galatasaray beat Juve last season

Turkish League > Serie A

Or Basel and Besiktas vs Liverpool, hell even Monaco vs Arsenal.

All those leagues are better, or close to EPL going by that logic, right?

But, can't say I am surprised. Following BL is such a hipster thing to do.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
La Liga is obviously the strongest competition atm if as a measurement we use European results. Despite my occasional bantering their clubs have been the most consistent in the last decade or so.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Turkish League > Serie A

I don't even like Bundesliga! As I said, La Liga is stronger at the moment, but not that much stronger like some would have people believe. Two German teams did play the CL final two years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Also.

Turkish League > Serie A

Obvious statement is obvious.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Serie A is the hardest cause almost all teams there play with a very defensive style unlike the other leagues where is a counter-attack after another.
What Serie A misses are the money to bring quality. No doubt about which leagues is the most difficult.
If we had the same money BPL we'd rule them year in and year out

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Serie A is the hardest cause almost all teams there play with a very defensive style unlike the other leagues where is a counter-attack after another.
What Serie A misses are the money to bring quality. No doubt about which leagues is the most difficult.
If we had the same money BPL we'd rule them year in and year out
:agree:

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
Good old football italia journalism:

"Roma picked up a precious 1-1 away win at Fiorentina in the Europa League, despite Neto saving an Adem Ljajic penalty."

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I think it's pretty much impossible to really compare the bottom halves of leagues in terms of quality. For example, La Liga minnows get destroyed almost always against the big two/three, but that's also in large parts down to the often very open gameplan they employ. This might make them vulnerable against giants such as Barca or Real, but would perhaps also favor them in direct matchups with the Udineses and Stokes of this world.

That being said, if we look at the top third of the tables, where we have some kind of comparison (though also these don't mean as much as often assumed, as shown Italian, and to a lesser extent English teams not really giving a fuck about EL until this year at least), La Liga is probably the strongest, though I'd argue that the difference between all leagues are rather neglibile and often quite exaggerated, not talking about the one/two strongest teams of the leagues.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The problems in Spain and Italy are mostly financial. When you go to the bottom half of the table you are looking at abject poverty compared to the top 3-6 teams. In England there is less of a gap because of the tv money, and Germany is somewhere between, because the lower teams have much sounder financial models.

The stereotypes still exist for the leagues (Spain - technical, Italy - tactical, England - physical, Germany - mental) and they are mostly true, but money is still a major factor when you look at overall strength. Knock out football tends to favour those most skillful and mentally strong, but over a season there are different factors.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Bundesliga best now
Of course not. EPL is miles ahead of the Bundesliga.

- - - Updated - - -

The problems in Spain and Italy are mostly financial. When you go to the bottom half of the table you are looking at abject poverty compared to the top 3-6 teams. In England there is less of a gap because of the tv money, and Germany is somewhere between, because the lower teams have much sounder financial models.

The stereotypes still exist for the leagues (Spain - technical, Italy - tactical, England - physical, Germany - mental) and they are mostly true, but money is still a major factor when you look at overall strength. Knock out football tends to favour those most skillful and mentally strong, but over a season there are different factors.
Knock out football does not truly represent which league is the best. If it would, no one would consider the EPL the best and it quite clearly is. That being said I do think Chelsea would face a hard time in Italy. But so would Juventus in the Premier League. It's a clash of mentalities. Chelsea do well against sides that play open and agressive football, but have difficulties with sides that are tactically strong. At the same I am fairly certain Juventus would never be able to keep up with the pace of a season in England.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Last year, yes. This year... No.

Madrid just lost to Schalke... Atletico lost to Leverkusen a couple weeks ago.

I'd say La Liga and Bundesliga are of very similar strength. La Liga maybe a touch ahead, because with the fall of Dortmund, and Barcelona rising again, we'll have to wait until next year to really get an idea of just how good Wolfsburg is.
Madrid just seem to do that though. 2013-14 They beat Dortmund 3-0, then lost the return leg 2-0, went on to win the whole thing. I didn't get to watch the Atletico game.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

Turkish League > Serie A

It's pretty annoying to see how fashionable it has become to support a BuLi team or the German NT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)