[EU] Europa League 2011/12 (96 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Lazio, who we all seem to think are a strong Serie A side, struggled and held at home to some random romanian team.

Problem for us isn't simply the UEFA coefficients, it's the quality of the Italian game overall. The better it is, the better Juventus is (or forced to be)
Problem is that Serie A teams don't give a shit about EL. Which is wrong IMO.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
They need to realise that the EL also brings them points for the European rankings (team and country), if they do well, they can also reach pot 1 or pot 2 for the draw for next year on top of the fact that there will be 4 teams in CL instead of 3 if Italy gets back into the top 4.

I can't imagine that this aren't reasons for them to try to do well in EL.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
As if coaches of Serie A sides sit there and think to themselves 'gee, I better not rest my stronger players for our game against FC Neverheardofyouandreallydontcare, because we have a more important league match this weekend, I have the UEFA co-efficient points to think about.' They only care about keeping their job, that's doing well in Serie A.

Serie A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Europa League.
UEFA Cup 10 years ago >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Europa League.

You only have to look at lineups. Look at Spurs. Look at Birmingham City, a Championship club changing 7 players for the Europa League! :lol: First and foremost for them is getting promotion.

But sure, Serie A sides are weaker, that goes for their rotation and backup players.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
The rediculous part is that they think, so soon in the season, that they already are in need for rest.
They play 90 minutes of football twice a week, it's not like they have to run 100km per day.
They'd better use them, else it will only become worse and worse with SerieA, the league isn't gaining attractivity the last few years with everything that has happened, if they aren't even performing in Europe anymore, it won't improve.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Not to mention that teams work an entire season to achieve a top 6 finish in order to get a ticket to the EL, only to then not care about it. Why bother having a good season in the first place?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah it's stupid, although I don't think any of the top 6-8 teams are chasing an EL place, they all want CL, and it's viable given the 'strength' of the league.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Yeah it's stupid, although I don't think any of the top 6-8 teams are chasing an EL place, they all want CL, and it's viable given the 'strength' of the league.
Thing is, there are only 2 direct CL spots & 1 additional indirect one. I don't think teams such as Udinese or Fiorentina go into the season aiming for a top 2 (even 3) finish, since that is extremely unlikely.
So if an EL ticket doesn't interest them either, they're basically playing for nothing. Might as well quit if that's the case.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well I'm only judging on 4 CL places, as that is all that has come to pass so far. This season should be more interesting in that respect. Qualifying for the EL has its prestige for a certain level of team, and there are most probably clauses in the contracts of players and coaches alike on reaching that goal. But then when the group games come along the coach is looking at them with the whole season in mind, rotates the squad and the results are neither here or there.

If you put some of these teams they drop points to in the group stage into Serie A they would beat them by two or three goals, I'm absolutely certain of that. But in contrast to some of the better EL teams the 5th-7th teams in Serie A are certainly lacking overall.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The thing is - Serie A teams like Lazio, Roma, Fiorentina, Udinese etc, they sacrifice EL for a fight for the CL place in Serie A.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Well I'm only judging on 4 CL places, as that is all that has come to pass so far. This season should be more interesting in that respect. Qualifying for the EL has its prestige for a certain level of team, and there are most probably clauses in the contracts of players and coaches alike on reaching that goal. But then when the group games come along the coach is looking at them with the whole season in mind, rotates the squad and the results are neither here or there.

If you put some of these teams they drop points to in the group stage into Serie A they would beat them by two or three goals, I'm absolutely certain of that. But in contrast to some of the better EL teams the 5th-7th teams in Serie A are certainly lacking overall.
Can't say I disagree with that.

How's this for an alarming situation though: If things continue as they have been so far this season (speaking about European games obviously), Italy will lose yet another spot before the next season starts. France would be 4th, with Italy in 5th, struggling to stay in front of Portugal who are 6th.

And yet another fun fact: it's still early, I know, but so far Italy has gained the least points this season out of all the top 10 ranked countries. Hell, they're even trailing behind such powerhouses as Belgium, Cyprus, Austria, ...

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Imo, we don't deserve to play the CL if we aren't in the top 2 every season. I don't care about other Italian teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 96)