[EU] Champions League 2007/2008 (52 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2005
Gerrard Calls For Excellence Against Inter
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has called on is teammates to put in their absolute best showings against Inter at the San Siro on Tuesday...

The Reds hold a two-goal advantage from the first leg, but the England international feels that the job is nowhere near complete.

"Inter Milan are a top side and we know what a difficult task it is going to be to get through," Gerrard told LiverpoolFC.tv.

"We'll probably need to turn in our best performance of the season to do it. We'll need a really big display with every player fighting for every ball and showing everyone how desperate we are to go into the last eight.

"We can take heart from the game at Anfield, definitely. I know people might talk about the sending off but even before that we were looking the better side and putting them under great pressure.

"But we can't go there thinking we've got a 2-0 lead. We're going there with a mindset of it being 0-0 and us needing to produce another majestic European performance to get through."

Ambition

The 27-year-old continued that an ambitious gameplan, as opposed to a defensive one, could be the Reds' saving grace.

"If we go there to defend then we'll be playing a very dangerous game and so we can't afford to do just that," he explained.

"If we just sit back then they could get a lucky goal or a decision in their favour and things could get difficult for us so that's why it's important to be positive, to take the game to them when we can and look to win it.

"I'm really confident we can do it. They are a top side but we feel as if we're a good team as well. We've got a good record on the road in Europe and if we play to our capabilities then we're a difficult team to beat.

"We really want to get into the quarter finals of this competition and we know it will send out a message to the other sides if we can knock out the Italian champions."

Steve Michaels, Goal.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Trap: Inter can do it!

Giovanni Trapattoni believes Inter can stun Liverpool by reaching the last eight of the Champions League tomorrow – but it will take an early goal to do so.

The Premiership side arrive at San Siro with a 2-0 advantage from the first leg when they struck late to condemn 10-man Inter to a costly opening tie defeat.

However, Republic of Ireland boss Trapattoni is failing to rule out a sensational comeback by the Serie A champions.

“Inter must score in the first part of the game,” noted the man who led the Beneamata to Scudetto glory in 1989.

“It certainly won’t be easy, but Inter can do it thanks to the support of their fans and the pride in their players. They have a 50 per cent chance of scoring twice against Liverpool.”

Inter dominated the Italian top-flight last season and rightly won comparisons with Trap’s mythical side of the late 1980s.

“My Inter side was a great team,” continued the former Milan midfielder. “But I’d put the two teams on the same level when you take into consideration the two eras.”

Trap, who will continue in his coaching role at Red Bull Salzburg until the end of the season, also commented on his return to international management after his Azzurri stint between 2000 and 2004.

“I had offers from other countries, three or four in fact,” he added. “But they were more risky for me on a personal level than Ireland.”

And although the Republic have been drawn in a group consisting of Italy, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Cyprus and Georgia, he believes in World Cup 2010 qualification.

“We need to do some excellent work to get there, but it would be satisfying for me and the whole of Ireland should we make it,” he concluded.

Torres will sink Inter

Fernando Torres will end Inter’s Champions League challenge on Tuesday night, insists Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

The Anfield outfit arrive in Italy defending a 2-0 first leg advantage and the England star is confident that Torres will net an away goal that would virtually guarantee them a place in the last eight.

"He's brilliant, fantastic. I wouldn't swap him for any other striker anywhere," said Gerrard ahead of the eagerly anticipated tie.

“Whoever comes into their side to replace the suspended Marco Materazzi will not be looking forward to facing Fernando for 90 minutes.

“We will be looking to hit them on the counter-attack during the match and Torres plays that game better than anyone.”

Torres, linked with city rivals Milan before leaving Atletico Madrid for Liverpool, has been a revelation for the Reds since his summer arrival.

In 34 games for the European giants, the Spanish international has bagged an impressive 24 times already.

"I feel England suits him even better than Spain,” added Gerrard. “He suits the constant flow and the rough and tumble of the Premier League better than the stop-start technical La Liga.

"When you look at the impact he has made in just seven months here, it means that no-one now can make excuses about needing time to settle.

"He is just a kid really in football terms, so he is going to get better and better.

"That is a frightening thought, but not for us. It's frightening for the defences he is going to be coming up against…”

Liverpool will be without the injured Xabi Alonso tomorrow, but Javier Mascherano travelled with the squad on Monday after missing the win over Newcastle with a leg complaint at the weekend.

goal.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
With Liverpool scoring their goal in 120 minute after the match ended 2:0 in regular time.
This will destroy Inter for the next 2 years and even the refs won't be able to help them win something.
Losing on penalties would be even bitter, don't you think?
And with Ibrahimovic missing the crucial penalty (seeing as he converted all of them in Serie A). :evil:

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
With Liverpool scoring their goal in 120 minute after the match ended 2:0 in regular time.
This will destroy Inter for the next 2 years and even the refs won't be able to help them win something.
Losing on penalties would be even bitter, don't you think?
And with Ibrahimovic missing the crucial penalty (seeing as he converted all of them in Serie A). :evil:
Ooohhh yeahhh, I'm so excited for tomorrow now.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Id rather have Inter in the quarters than 4 EPL tards,but I dont expect Inter to win this one.I think it'll end in a draw.0-0 most probably.Rafa loves doing that away from home after he's won at home.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Doubt that, Liverpool doesn't have the quality of defenders to keep the 0 in Inter.
They will have to score at least once to be sure to qualify.
I say 2-1 for Inter.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Inter were two goals down in the 60s against liverpool and they reversed it in the san siro. So we might see that again.

But if they are going to lose then i hope its 4-0 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)