[EU] Champions League 05/06 (4 Viewers)

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
I had no feelings what so ever during the final. It was boring and not to mention uinteressting. What the hell was Arsenal thinking? That they can ride the match out with a one-nil score? I said to my father that they would get one or two goals slammed right in the face, and two minutes later Barca scored. Ffs they had two men in the box when they had a corner!

The most suckiest final I have ever, ever, EVER seen! I would do anything to get those 90 minutes back. I would rather continue on my homework, which I abandoned to see this worthless match. Aaaaarghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *turning all green, big and strong...

gaspipe

Eavesdropper
Nov 6, 2005
Juve89 said:
I had no feelings what so ever during the final. It was boring and not to mention uinteressting. What the hell was Arsenal thinking? That they can ride the match out with a one-nil score? I said to my father that they would get one or two goals slammed right in the face, and two minutes later Barca scored. Ffs they had two men in the box when they had a corner!

The most suckiest final I have ever, ever, EVER seen! I would do anything to get those 90 minutes back. I would rather continue on my homework, which I abandoned to see this match. Aaaaarghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TBH the worser final was in 2002/2003 :p

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Juve89 said:

The most suckiest final I have ever, ever, EVER seen! I would do anything to get those 90 minutes back. I would rather continue on my homework, which I abandoned to see this worthless match. Aaaaarghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *turning all green, big and strong...
i think you forget that Arsenal was down a man to the most explosive team in the world. and i also think you fail to realize that Arsenal is not an attacking team. they did what they could. not every final is going to be a 3-3 thriller that goes to PKs.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

This is how we make the difference.

My take on the whole match.

Van Bommel was amazing but putting Larsson instead was just what Barcelona needed to won the game. Barcelona were in a state of total chaos and only Henke knew what to do to organize theit attacking game.

On the other hand, the red card that Lehmann got was totally justified; however other solutions could have been made in this situation. After 20 minutes of play a red card for a goalkeeper simply ruins a CL final. Personally, I would have chosen a goal for Giuly and simply be satisfied with a yellow card for Jens.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Jeeks said:

This is how we make the difference.

My take on the whole match.

Van Bommel was amazing but putting Larsson instead was just what Barcelona needed to won the game. Barcelona were in a state of total chaos and only Henke knew what to do to organize theit attacking game.

On the other hand, the red card that Lehmann got was totally justified; however other solutions could have been made in this situation. After 20 minutes of play a red card for a goalkeeper simply ruins a CL final. Personally, I would have chosen a goal for Giuly and simply be satisfied with a yellow card for Jens.
I thought Flemini in for Hleb opened the door for Barca more than Larsson coming on for Van Bommel.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Enron said:
I thought Flemini in for Hleb opened the door for Barca more than Larsson coming on for Van Bommel.
Not really because the goal came in a secind after Flamini came in so the substituion did not really make an impact.

However, we all wondered what was Wenger thinking bringing in Flamini. At that moment of the game, Reyes should have come in for Fabregas and helped Arsenal continue the game they excel most at.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Those people who say this was the most boring final ever must have a fairly short memory. From a neutral perspective, the Bayern-Valencia Final of a few years ago was fairly boring, and the Final we lost in 2003 was considered boring to many people around the world. The Final we witnessed today was easily more exciting than those two.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
The fact that Barcelona were playing against ten men made it exciting. It was like, when will the infamous Barcelona start making a real threat on Arsenal's second goalkeeper.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Andy said:
Those people who say this was the most boring final ever must have a fairly short memory. From a neutral perspective, the Bayern-Valencia Final of a few years ago was fairly boring, and the Final we lost in 2003 was considered boring to many people around the world. The Final we witnessed today was easily more exciting than those two.
The opening half-an-hour showed this final could have been one of the greatest but in many ways it turned out to be even more boring than those you mentioned as the outcome was always known. As a consequence of the sending-off Arsenal would have almost zero chance of scoring but indeed they converted that low percentage chance. We all knew Barcelona would have an hour to win this match and in the end they made harder work of it.

But the precedent was there from the match at Stamford Bridge (same referee :eyebrows:) and to wait until 75 minutes was no problem. It's for this reason the final was boring - Arsenal simply delayed the inevitable. Those other finals may have been goalless to but atleast the outcome would be spectacular.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Intro said:
The opening half-an-hour showed this final could have been one of the greatest but in many ways it turned out to be even more boring than those you mentioned as the outcome was always known. As a consequence of the sending-off Arsenal would have almost zero chance of scoring but indeed they converted that low percentage chance. We all knew Barcelona would have an hour to win this match and in the end they made harder work of it.

But the precedent was there from the match at Stamford Bridge (same referee :eyebrows:) and to wait until 75 minutes was no problem. It's for this reason the final was boring - Arsenal simply delayed the inevitable. Those other finals may have been goalless to but atleast the outcome would be spectacular.
You have different eyes then, I suppose. The 2003 Final was an absolute borefest when I take my Juventus goggles off, while it was not set in stone Barcelona would score two goals despite being up a man. And you stated yourself that nobody had a clue Arsenal would score, so how exactly was the match more boring than the 2003 Final?

The outcome was spectacular in 2001 and 2003? How so? Just because of the shootouts?

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
yeah i agree with intro.

after lehmann got red card it was obvious barca will take control of the game and arsenal will play for counterattacks. There was just so much time for barca to score, best attacking team in the season against best defens wiht one man down, second gk and out of form cole: there is just one outcome. and barca dont even need much time to change things around, as they did, yeah belleti goal was a bit lucky one, but still it was a winning goal and thats it. and it took 5 or 6 minutes to turn things around.

I know milan-juve final has been critisized but there are a lot of anti italian football fans around also. and there wasnt situations from what you could start expecting whos gona win the match. but in this final if your 10 men against 11 team like barcelona, you could expect barca to atleast draw in 90 minutes. this final could have been much more entertaining if both teams would have played with 11 men.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stephan said:
yeah i agree with intro.

after lehmann got red card it was obvious barca will take control of the game and arsenal will play for counterattacks. There was just so much time for barca to score, best attacking team in the season against best defens wiht one man down, second gk and out of form cole: there is just one outcome. and barca dont even need much time to change things around, as they did, yeah belleti goal was a bit lucky one, but still it was a winning goal and thats it. and it took 5 or 6 minutes to turn things around.

I know milan-juve final has been critisized but there are a lot of anti italian football fans around also. and there wasnt situations from what you could start expecting whos gona win the match. but in this final if your 10 men against 11 team like barcelona, you could expect barca to atleast draw in 90 minutes. this final could have been much more entertaining if both teams would have played with 11 men.
Even after everyone thought that Barcelona would take control of the game, they did not make a single organized threat on Arsenal's second goalkeeper.

Anyway, I am still on my opinion that Barcelona were helped to reach the final and in a way helped to win it.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Stephan said:
I know milan-juve final has been critisized but there are a lot of anti italian football fans around also.
Dude, I'm all pro-Italian football, however that Final was indeed boring from a neutral perspective. The fact there are several Italian football bashers doesn't mean anything about the actual football match...they will always be there no matter what happens.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Andy said:
You have different eyes then, I suppose. The 2003 Final was an absolute borefest when I take my Juventus goggles off, while it was not set in stone Barcelona would score two goals despite being up a man. And you stated yourself that nobody had a clue Arsenal would score, so how exactly was the match more boring than the 2003 Final?

The outcome was spectacular in 2001 and 2003? How so? Just because of the shootouts?
The final probably wasn't boring but in terms of a spectacle those penalty shoot-outs were more appealing I think - an even but goalless contest is still one rather than tonight. The whole World was waiting for Barcelona to win this trophy tonight. Conspiracy theorists even here in this thread talked about UEFA wanting Barca to win the trophy and we all thought perhaps for once can Barca prove they are the best in Europe as everyone keeps saying?

Did they do that tonight? Not in my opinion. Sure they are deserved winners but Arsenal settled much better and 11 vs. 11 even at 0-1 I think they would still have threatened as Barcelona were poor in defence tonight. But Barcelona have been below-par for so much of this tournament; and today it was Rijkaard being cautious not Wenger. Placing Eto'o instead of Ronaldinho towards the left to be careful of Eboue.

The same referee gave the exact same scenario for Barcelona at Stamford Bridge. There was a legal-goal from Shevchenko which would have forced extra-time. If this team is SO great let them play under the adverse conditions their opponents are presented and overcome them.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What I hate most about the CL is the final. The whole passionof the game is killed. Most of tha fans are invited or got their tickets from sponsorship comanies or from any other way that I have no clue about. And all these have no clue about what football is.

The fans of the teams playing there are a minority and this kills all the passion that a football game waits for.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Can someone explain to me why a linesman was removed from officiating after an innocent mistake yet a referee who gave Barcelona a huge advantage (widely agreed as wrongly) in a prior tie is allowed?

It's this type of selection policy which opens up the debate of UEFA trying to influence matches with the chosen referee. If Collina was still around we would not have such problems as tonight.

Can anyone fill me in over the credentials for Terje Hauge taking this game?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Intro said:
Can someone explain to me why a linesman was removed from officiating after an innocent mistake yet a referee who gave Barcelona a huge advantage (widely agreed as wrongly) in a prior tie is allowed?

It's this type of selection policy which opens up the debate of UEFA trying to influence matches with the chosen referee. If Collina was still around we would not have such problems as tonight.

Can anyone fill me in over the credentials for Terje Hauge taking this game?
This is UEFA for you. Another reason that is making me prefer the national league over this overrated, media stuffed competition.

Hell I think I will enjoy Juve play in the Serie B rather than Serie A and the trivial so called CL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)