[EU] Champions League 05/06 (12 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
well for me, i rather watch to italian teams playing then watching 10 against 11 players. trust me i am not even someone who says barca are the best and they have the best players kind of fan, but there was just so much time and second gk for arsenal. dont get me wrong, arsenal players can be proud, but as a match to watch, moustly they defended and looked for counters. yes they did shut down ronaldinho and co, but thats moustly thanks to the fact that they defended. Yes ofcourse in situations like these you cant go all out attack, and thats why i criticize ref decision. I mean 2 arsenal players going forward for a corner for example, arsenal couldnt give enough pressure when they attacked.

Even when they scored which yeah was a bit surprise, i still though look barca have so many options, they can take out someone like bommel (whos more defensive player) and add attacking player like Henke.

Just thinking already about arsenal playing second gk, for whom the fact that he has to play in the final was already a suprise, so not prepared, yeah i know subs gk also have to make their preperations, but in a normal day lehmann would have played another 90 minutes and backup gk would have watched from bench. So not regularly playing gk in the cl final against best attacking team.

yeah there wasnt that many chanses in the match by barca maybe, but players like ronaldinho and eto just dont need many chanses to score and that has been the main reason in their success. yes and even if it was larsson, then this shows you how many options barca has, how many aces they have on their back pocket. And they are attackingly minded team as well, they play to score goals, not to defend.

well maybe my explenation didnt come that well out.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stephan said:
well for me, i rather watch to italian teams playing then watching 10 against 11 players. trust me i am not even someone who says barca are the best and they have the best players kind of fan, but there was just so much time and second gk for arsenal. dont get me wrong, arsenal players can be proud, but as a match to watch, moustly they defended and looked for counters. yes they did shut down ronaldinho and co, but thats moustly thanks to the fact that they defended. Yes ofcourse in situations like these you cant go all out attack, and thats why i criticize ref decision. I mean 2 arsenal players going forward for a corner for example, arsenal couldnt give enough pressure when they attacked.

Even when they scored which yeah was a bit surprise, i still though look barca have so many options, they can take out someone like bommel (whos more defensive player) and add attacking player like Henke.

Just thinking already about arsenal playing second gk, for whom the fact that he has to play in the final was already a suprise, so not prepared, yeah i know subs gk also have to make their preperations, but in a normal day lehmann would have played another 90 minutes and backup gk would have watched from bench. So not regularly playing gk in the cl final against best attacking team.

yeah there wasnt that many chanses in the match by barca maybe, but players like ronaldinho and eto just dont need many chanses to score and that has been the main reason in their success. yes and even if it was larsson, then this shows you how many options barca has, how many aces they have on their back pocket. And they are attackingly minded team as well, they play to score goals, not to defend.

well maybe my explenation didnt come that well out.
Oh yes it was it was perfectly understood. Mr. referee decided the game as early as the 20th minute.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Andy said:
Dude, I'm all pro-Italian football, however that Final was indeed boring from a neutral perspective. The fact there are several Italian football bashers doesn't mean anything about the actual football match...they will always be there no matter what happens.
yes it does. i know and have read comments like "thank god juve lost to liverpool or please lyon kick that italian booring thing out" so we wont see 2002/2003 season game again. But every game is differant, when juve-milan might play again in cl final, maybe both teams score early goals and well we cant predict what happens...

yeah, i know, its easy to say it later, when the match is over and other finals have been seen, you can always say, milan-juve was more boring than i dont know juventus-real or bayern-manutd. but when you watch the game in live, well atleast for me, as a juve fan i have differant feeling. seing your team live in cl final is already good enough feeling. and for me as a juve fan watching my own team in the final is thousands time more entertaining then watching other teams finals. its just that "dont interrupt me, i am watching the team who i support in the final, i dont want to miss a single second of it, anything can happen. yeah in 2002/2003 there wasnt surprising moments, but you cant predict in a game like that whos gona win, but today 10 vs 11, subconsciousness tells me barca has much better chanses to win the final.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Barcelona's triumph reminded me of Mauresmo winning her first Grand Slam in Australia at the start of this year - we had been waiting so long for it yet when it came it was underwhelming and gift-wrapped (3 of her opponents retired including her final opponent).

That's what I felt with Barcelona's run to the final. I can take it with Porto and Liverpool having luck but not with a side 'so great'. Brazil don't play to such margins and it proves that Ronaldinho does not just make Brazil.

Performance-wise Milan's 45 mintues in Istanbul last year was the best since Real Madrid at the Stade de France in 2000. But Barcelona won this year and no-one wants to hear anything else. Still on the same ground they live in the shadows of their rivals.

To hear Henry complain after the match as much as he did is an eye-opener and maybe UEFA will finally realise what they've allowed. Henry after the Tottenham 'unsporting' goal last month was completely classy as you would expect and did not blame Tottenham. That was an important match as this one yet his reactions were completely different.

I can't find the quotes I want but they indicate he WILL NOT be moving to Barcelona as he was critical of their players but also articualated the type of point I try and make in that matches start off neutral and you expect to be able to play and win. But when decisions are made over the 90 minutes that tilt the favour for one-team it's incredibly hard to fight that. With the opposition it makes it almost impossible. It's like the 100-metre record being broken wind-assisted - that's how this win should be stated.

Also he made an excellent point in praising Larsson and identifying that Barca and Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Co. who get all the praise did little.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Intro said:
Barcelona's triumph reminded me of Mauresmo winning her first Grand Slam in Australia at the start of this year - we had been waiting so long for it yet when it came it was underwhelming and gift-wrapped (3 of her opponents retired including her final opponent).

That's what I felt with Barcelona's run to the final. I can take it with Porto and Liverpool having luck but not with a side 'so great'. Brazil don't play to such margins and it proves that Ronaldinho does not just make Brazil.

Performance-wise Milan's 45 mintues in Istanbul last year was the best since Real Madrid at the Stade de France in 2000. But Barcelona won this year and no-one wants to hear anything else. Still on the same ground they live in the shadows of their rivals.

To hear Henry complain after the match as much as he did is an eye-opener and maybe UEFA will finally realise what they've allowed. Henry after the Tottenham 'unsporting' goal last month was completely classy as you would expect and did not blame Tottenham. That was an important match as this one yet his reactions were completely different.

I can't find the quotes I want but they indicate he WILL NOT be moving to Barcelona as he was critical of their players but also articualated the type of point I try and make in that matches start off neutral and you expect to be able to play and win. But when decisions are made over the 90 minutes that tilt the favour for one-team it's incredibly hard to fight that. With the opposition it makes it almost impossible. It's like the 100-metre record being broken wind-assisted - that's how this win should be stated.

Also he made an excellent point in praising Larsson and identifying that Barca and Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Co. who get all the praise did little.
Too bad no one will remember Henke but they will remember Rijkaard's men, basically Ronaldinho and Nike's Joga Bonito.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Intro said:
The final probably wasn't boring but in terms of a spectacle those penalty shoot-outs were more appealing I think - an even but goalless contest is still one rather than tonight. The whole World was waiting for Barcelona to win this trophy tonight. Conspiracy theorists even here in this thread talked about UEFA wanting Barca to win the trophy and we all thought perhaps for once can Barca prove they are the best in Europe as everyone keeps saying?

Did they do that tonight? Not in my opinion. Sure they are deserved winners but Arsenal settled much better and 11 vs. 11 even at 0-1 I think they would still have threatened as Barcelona were poor in defence tonight. But Barcelona have been below-par for so much of this tournament; and today it was Rijkaard being cautious not Wenger. Placing Eto'o instead of Ronaldinho towards the left to be careful of Eboue.

The same referee gave the exact same scenario for Barcelona at Stamford Bridge. There was a legal-goal from Shevchenko which would have forced extra-time. If this team is SO great let them play under the adverse conditions their opponents are presented and overcome them.
:agree: 11 vs 11, count giuly goal and give lehmann a yellow. this match could have gone any way, barca defens is not that superb, if arsenal would have had also 11 men they would not have been so worryd about their own goal and its always hard to play with less players, especially if you need to defend and attack.

ok some say there wasnt so many chanses from barca, but think about this, arsenal got their goal, half time, clearly more defensive tactics and hoping for second goal with counters and mistakes from barca. what happend, yes arsenal did had some chanses like ljungberg and some more, but it was clreadly counters and moustly the fact that barca players where going more forward(i am not saying they attacked but they left less players to defens).

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stephan said:
:agree: 11 vs 11, count giuly goal and give lehmann a yellow. this match could have gone any way, barca defens is not that superb, if arsenal would have had also 11 men they would not have been so worryd about their own goal and its always hard to play with less players, especially if you need to defend and attack.

ok some say there wasnt so many chanses from barca, but think about this, arsenal got their goal, half time, clearly more defensive tactics and hoping for second goal with counters and mistakes from barca. what happend, yes arsenal did had some chanses like ljungberg and some more, but it was clreadly counters and moustly the fact that barca players where going more forward(i am not saying they attacked but they left less players to defens).
Well said man, well said.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Stephan said:
:agree: 11 vs 11, count giuly goal and give lehmann a yellow
Barcelona got the best possiblt outcome here. The referee was too hasty in blowing his whistle and someone like Collina would have used common-sense which would have played advantage and 1-0 Barca. Where in the rules is it that Lehmann have action taken on him. Was his discrepancy not preventing a goalscoring opportunity? Therefore if Barcelona had scored how can this be held to him. Is that like when a player handles the ball on the line in a frantic attempt to stop a goal but it passes him the goal is awarded and the player sent-off? No. Only one happens and today the logical one for this type of game was not applied.

Did it help or hinder Barca? In the grand scheme it greatly helped them. They had an advantage to press home their superiority till which that point they'd not shown. One goal would be enough to win the final now and they could even have got that from the free-kick award. But Ronaldinho messed that up along with the Barca defence which lined up the most pathetic wall for an Arsenal free-kick. They made life more difficult for themselves not the other way round.

Given the choice I'd say the Barca players would go for the sending-off every time given the time remaining.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
i wonder will uefa block always chelsea from winning the cl.
because imo if they really get sheva then they could be a very big title contenders. they have so many players to choose from, maybe another good striker for backup for sheva (considering crespo wants back to italy). ballack can be backup for grazy working makelele. the only q is about defens, who will they buy who sell. will gallas change his mind or not, will del horno improve or not. sheva doesnt go to chelsea just to get money, he wants to win, imo if he goes there, he will push chelsea chanses in europe.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stephan said:
you really mean it, or its just ironically :p
I really mean it, read my posts back and you see that I was pointing out the same idea. Mind you, I was not cheering for anyone in the game, I was just hoping for a good and fair football game. After twenty minutes I got disappointed. I saw the worst call for both teams being called.

What made my evening was Henke. he just showed all those money hungry, ad wanting, Nike stars that dancing and show is not football. He showed them all that going to the goal and making attacking plays is what wins the game. Had he stayed on the bench, Barcelona would have continuously relied on Ronalinho to dance around the box and lose the ball to Ljungberg to make a dangerous counter attack.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stephan said:
i wonder will uefa block always chelsea from winning the cl.
because imo if they really get sheva then they could be a very big title contenders. they have so many players to choose from, maybe another good striker for backup for sheva (considering crespo wants back to italy). ballack can be backup for grazy working makelele. the only q is about defens, who will they buy who sell. will gallas change his mind of not, will del horno improve or not. sheva doesnt go to chelsea just to get money, he wants to win, imo if he goes there, he will push chelsea chanses in europe.
Consider a matter of hate at the moment. UEFA publically hate Chelsea and will always fight them to exit the tournament. Will Abramovic's money and Mourinho's wit be able to overcome a complete organized association with all its media influence?

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Jeeks said:
What made my evening was Henke. he just showed all those money hungry, ad wanting, Nike stars that dancing and show is not football. He showed them all that going to the goal and making attacking plays is what wins the game. Had he stayed on the bench, Barcelona would have continuously relied on Ronalinho to dance around the box and lose the ball to Ljungberg to make a dangerous counter attack.

Good point and Ruud Gullit here in England was very critical of Ronaldinho's performance saying he tried to be the 'showman and do it alone'. Tonight proved to me that he has so much to emulate Zidane as the best recent player. Zidane always turned-up in finals or really contributed to winning. At France '98 a lesser known quality was demonstrated in being the match winner. At Euro 2000 he ran the whole tournament and then when he finally wanted the CL he produced the most stunning winner possible. He made teams great or over-achieve whereas Ronaldinho maybe a clear player but this Brazil team has won WC's before and now with Barca it's so hard to see as they definitely seem to have some favouritism but also their team is more complete than any other in Europe.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Intro said:
Barcelona got the best possiblt outcome here. The referee was too hasty in blowing his whistle and someone like Collina would have used common-sense which would have played advantage and 1-0 Barca. Where in the rules is it that Lehmann have action taken on him. Was his discrepancy not preventing a goalscoring opportunity? Therefore if Barcelona had scored how can this be held to him. Is that like when a player handles the ball on the line in a frantic attempt to stop a goal but it passes him the goal is awarded and the player sent-off? No. Only one happens and today the logical one for this type of game was not applied.

Did it help or hinder Barca? In the grand scheme it greatly helped them. They had an advantage to press home their superiority till which that point they'd not shown. One goal would be enough to win the final now and they could even have got that from the free-kick award. But Ronaldinho messed that up along with the Barca defence which lined up the most pathetic wall for an Arsenal free-kick. They made life more difficult for themselves not the other way round.

Given the choice I'd say the Barca players would go for the sending-off every time given the time remaining.
what is weird for me imo, is how the same ref is referee for one team. yeah i understand its been decided much earlier and well with draws and groupstage teams advantage you never know who will actually make it (if refs wont help a team before). But this Terje :lol: (its a women name in my country) referees for the same team two times, when he seemed to help already in the previous game. I do think del horno should have gotten a yellow. it wasnt like he took his legs down with a grazy tackle, messi and del horno watched the ball(ground) and run together, messi made the moust of it and red card was showd. And now another situation, what gk should have done there, its extremly hard to defend for gk a one on one situations. he did his best, and it didnt look that bad, he didnt handle out side his box or injure the player, but still a straight red, very weird.

but i ask myself why? why they had to do so? well barca, ronaldinho and co are given so much credit in the media. and they defenetly have so many good players. but why they have to help them then. nike will give uefa commitee and refs presents or what?

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Andy said:
FINALLY the best team in the world wins the Champions League again. Nobody else deserved this trophy, and Puyol rightfully lifted the cup for Catalunya. Go home, Arsenal.
Probably the only statement I agree with after reading every'1s comments at the last few pages.

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
Enron said:
i think you forget that Arsenal was down a man to the most explosive team in the world. and i also think you fail to realize that Arsenal is not an attacking team. they did what they could. not every final is going to be a 3-3 thriller that goes to PKs.
So what you say is that i can't expect that much from a champions League FINAL? The fact is that Asenal played very well in the beggining, many attacks and they actually had Barca down on their knees. Then they score(a beautiful header) and with that scoring came the boring safe playing.

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
Enron said:
i think you forget that Arsenal was down a man to the most explosive team in the world. and i also think you fail to realize that Arsenal is not an attacking team. they did what they could. not every final is going to be a 3-3 thriller that goes to PKs.
So what you say is that i can't expect that much from a champions League FINAL? The fact is that Asenal played very well in the beggining, many attacks and they actually had Barca down on their knees. Then they score(a beautiful header) and with that scoring came the boring safe playing.

The red card was the right action from the ref. The Gunners can't complain that they were down one man, when Lehman chooses it himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)